Michael´s Sixth Year

michael-ibk

Peter Connan

Awesome shots of so many wonderful species and beautiful scenic shots to boot.

Nice to see @xelaswent along but he seems to have forgotten his camera?

😜

1 hour ago, Peter Connan said:

Nice to see @xelaswent along but he seems to have forgotten his camera?

Not that we were not invited, Peter. But have heard a rumour that Kardinalschnitte was banned from a local pastry shop ... and we have decided to stay home. Plus that unimportant but annoying thing called Covid restrictions ... <_<

What a delightful collection from the Seewinkel trip, Michael! Many really special species and great photographs. Sad to hear about struggling birds like Godwit and Partridge (same here), but also hopeful to see the beautiful Imperial Eagle gaining ground again in Austria.

On 5/30/2021 at 10:39 AM, michael-ibk said:

All in all we had 114 species this time

That is 20 more than I have managed for the year so far :( not fair

Gorgeous sceneries. stunning photographs. i wish we are in another reality where Herman and I were in Seewinkel with you two (and all others who will be there too...). 

you're on the fast track to the top of the league, I think.....

Peter Connan
On 5/30/2021 at 9:39 AM, michael-ibk said:

Last week

IMG_1228.JPG.d733b2806ada59d9f20062d09d2213d7.JPG

@xelasbut there is a photo of you?

1 hour ago, Peter Connan said:

@xelasbut there is a photo of you?

That is my alter ego :P! Who needs a camera with ears that big?!

pedro maia

Many cool birds from Seewinkel and great pictures.

Lovely variety of birds from your Seewinkel trip.  The sunrise/sunset shots of the area are gorgeous!

Dave Williams

Amazing numbers Michael and I remain unconvinced that the UK has more "regular' species that Eastern Europe!!

Maybe you & @Dave Williamswould like to halves on this Michael? :ph34r:

Only 20 Canon EF 1200mm f/5.6L USMs were made – and an ultra-rare sample of this $100,000 lens is coming up for sale!

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/ultra-rare-dollar100000-canon-ef-1200mm-lens-going-up-for-sale?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_content=dcw&utm_medium=social

Wow what a fantastic trip as I look out my window at grey skies, wind and rain. 

michael-ibk
On 5/31/2021 at 12:59 PM, Kitsafari said:

you're on the fast track to the top of the league, I think.....

Thanks Kit, but not really. 200 is a really good run for me with birds at home, so not much more to get. And unfortunately my back has put me out of action for the time being - slipped disc again, so running around with the camera is a big no-no at the moment.:(

On 6/5/2021 at 10:43 PM, Dave Williams said:

Amazing numbers Michael and I remain unconvinced that the UK has more "regular' species that Eastern Europe!!

Funny that you would think of us as Eastern Europe Dave - we very much identify as "Middle Europeans". But I guess for you guys over there everybody else is an Eastern European. ;)

And thanks for the compliments everyone! :)

Ouch! So sorry to hear of your Disc problems. Best wishes it gets cured quickly.

Don't give up hope on the 200.

michael-ibk

Never - especially since I just booked a Portugal holiday! :) I have finally resigned to the fact that Africa won´t be possible this year.

Edited by michael-ibk

35 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Never - especially since I just booked a Portugal holiday! :) I have finally resigned to the fact that Africa won´t be possible this year.

You’ll have to aim higjer than ;).

1 hour ago, michael-ibk said:

Never -

Never say 'never'. With 180 out of 452 species already I believe you are a lot closer than you think.

Should I play a recording of the "Chariot's of Fire" Theme music to inspire you? Or Frank Sinatra singing 'High Hopes?";)

michael-ibk

I meant I'll never give up! B)

Sorry to hear about your back problems; I hope you'll be better soon! Portugal is on our wish list, too for later this year...

22 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Thanks Kit, but not really. 200 is a really good run for me with birds at home, so not much more to get. And unfortunately my back has put me out of action for the time being - slipped disc again, so running around with the camera is a big no-no at the moment.:(

Oh no, not again! have you been pushing yourself too hard birding? 

Nevermind, at least you'll have Portugal to look forward to, you lucky fellas! total envy here. 

Sorry to hear about your back. I feel your pain! I did it last year and I never want to repeat it. Hope you make a speedy recovery

What a wonderful trip, with superb photos. Really beautiful.

Sorry to hear about your back, hope you feel better soon.

Portugal is a great birding destination- where will you visit?

Glad to see you can get out and about again but sorry about your back.  I hope Portugal makes up for this year a bit

• 2 weeks later...
michael-ibk

Thanks for all the good wishes. I am on the mend, infiltration, phsysiotherapy and lots of exercise is helping. I even used my camera today (which I probably should not), first time in a month!

On 6/15/2021 at 9:17 PM, TonyQ said:

What a wonderful trip, with superb photos. Really beautiful.

Sorry to hear about your back, hope you feel better soon.

Portugal is a great birding destination- where will you visit?

Tony, we are hoping to cover the Southern part. Staying here for a week and then not really sure yet. Teaming up with @pedro maia somewhere for sure!

I say we are hoping because of that Delta thing. Germany has put Portugal on the virus variant list for two weeks. If that stays we cannot use the flight we booked (from Munich). Well, let´s see how the situation develops.

185/E185.) Little Stint (Calidris minuta) / Zwergstrandläufer

Flughafen Innsbruck/Tirol, 25/5/21. Back when my back still was a proper back. :) Not an uncommon migrant in the East but a new one for my Tirol list. Unfortunately pretty shy, only gave me a few seconds and then disappeared.

239416625_Flughafen_1_Zwergstrandlufer.JPG.d7c3a9bc6d241a23550313eda479f527.JPG

A Plover was a bit more accommodating:

Flughafen_4_Flussregenpfeifer.JPG.becca4b35b926cb4e6228bdd4f302835.JPG

michael-ibk

186/E186.) Wallcreeper (Tichodroma muraria) / Mauerläufer

Kundler Klamm/Tirol, 27/6/21. Another drastic ebc but one of our coolest birds so I´m gonna post it anyway. Wallcreepers love inaccessible habitats, very steep (mostly vertical) rocky areas. So not the most easy bird to find. I know a few spots in Tirol and tried my luck today. Found it, but unfortunately it stayed up way too high. Certainly gonna try again, they are obviously breeding here (saw them carrying food).

1176870586_KundlerKlamm_13_Mauerlufer.JPG.3ceed569957c472f92e81b91e1a1c742.JPG

943902809_KundlerKlamm_34_Mauerlufer.JPG.55939b56dad84e54be50dbdee1735ff8.JPG