Michael´s Sixth Year

michael-ibk

On 2/6/2021 at 11:09 PM, michael-ibk said:

I waited for more than an hour to try to get an angle, and only with a lot of contorted movements could I get a relatively clear shot of the head at least.

Beautiful little Kingfisher and worth all of the above

Dave Williams

LS Woodpecker is tops for me, I have only seen one once, very briefly, in Hungary.

24/E24.) Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla) / Bergfink

Ambras/Tirol, 12/2/21. A good one for me. Winter guests here in Austria - I always seem to miss them, saw my last one on Nov. 18th 2018 (thanks, ebird!). So delighted to find one today.

Ambras_55_Bergfink.JPG.a00bea42b53d61c4bce9f3609dfd5982.JPG

Edited by michael-ibk

25/E25.) Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs) / Buchfink

Ambras/Tirol, 12/2/21. Its close cousin, much more common. An icy cold day today: -12 degrees in the morning, and only now has temperature just about passed zero.

Ambras_67_Buchfink.JPG.201beca8c985a93fb9340f48548bd1e7.JPG

A bonus Siskin just because they rarely give me opportunities like that:

Ambras_61_Erlenzeisig.JPG.2e6e8b9126a6d5ac459ed8244f81ae0b.JPG

This Robin was also quite patient:

Ambras_33_Rotkehlchen.JPG.d0220eae3e79023bd0067201269ea305.JPG

beautiful Chaffinch Michael

I am always a fan of the Robin even though they are not above occasionally photobombing.

Glad you got the little Brambling after a two plus year wait.  Minus 12, can't even imagine what that feels like.

Beautiful photos, @michael-ibk! I am still waiting for the Brambling, but, like you, I don't see them every year. Good find.

7 hours ago, elefromoz said:

Minus 12, can't even imagine what that feels like.

It feels like "bitterly cold", specially with a fair amount of wind blowing. You can try it by putting your hand in a freezer compartment of your fridge :P!

@michael-ibkthat Brambling is a great find. I hope they will come again to Slovenia in good numbers.

7 hours ago, elefromoz said:

Minus 12, can't even imagine what that feels like.

When it drops to - 12 you can't feel anything with your finger tips. I think UK had -23 a couple of nights back.

They blame everything on Brexit!

2 hours ago, xelas said:

It feels like "bitterly cold", specially with a fair amount of wind blowing.

Indeed, it was just as cold as yesterday today - and worse, it was pretty windy. Brrrrrr...taking photos or watching through the binos actually hurt! :huh:

26/E26.) Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) / Wacholderdrossel

Gaisau/Tirol, 13/2/21. Mostly Winter birds here in Austria but I see them all through the year at my local patch.

Gaisau_54_Wacholderdrossel.JPG.c0561dca1039eae30f950a2f392aa507.JPG

And a Woodpecker just because seeing them is always cool.

Gaisau_58_Buntspecht.JPG.8b94478c97b6f458e5fc09cb752cb4fb.JPG

27/E27.) Red Kite (Milvus milvus) / Rotmilan

Gaisau/Tirol, 13/2/21. My star poser for today. Stays through the Winter unlike its Black cousin. A bird that has made quite a spectacular comeback here, once almost on the verge of extinction but common enough these days fortunately.

Gaisau_85_Rotmilan.JPG.6acaf50c693d64281e012c72eaa2c57c.JPG

Gaisau_84_Rotmilan.JPG.72219fd3be363f7d97bc5f6b1b5053f9.JPG

Gaisau_91_Rotmilan.JPG.356f4443e91108d43b131944cfc7d36b.JPG

Gaisau_95_Rotmilan.JPG.c6f8e859d02bad92b7450f5249986f79.JPG

Stunning shots!

I am glad to say I also don't know what -12 feels like.

Stunning Red Kite photos! It also looks like the underwings were lit by snow below, they are beautifully exposed and every detail is visible. Great work!

wow on the red kite! 

I too have no idea what -12 0 -23 is like, just that i'll probably freeze to an ice statue.

Dave Williams

The Red Kite  shots are indeed excellent. You are getting some nice sunshine..... and a few cases of South African covid according to the news. 

Indeed we do @Dave Williams- and our government really did not handle the situation well. Instead of going in swiftly and strictly to contain it the local authorities first more or less denied it, then refused to do much about it at all and only when the federal government pushed in some action was taken. Too little too late I fear. Well, at least we have something African now, but for once something African I could rather do without!

28/E28.) Great Tit (Parus major) Kohlmeise

Mils/Tirol, 14/2/21. Another icy cold but sunny day tonight.

Mils_60_Kohlmeise.JPG.54571929d0374193977e67c1f742f4bb.JPG

29/E29.) Eurasian Nuthatch (Sitta europaea) / Kleiber

Mils/Tirol, 14/2/21. The "Woodpecker-Tit" as it´s also called in German.

Mils_52_Kleiber.JPG.f135f89ddde4b261e3af44059f2498a0.JPG

And a bonus shot of a Bullfinch, not a bird I often see as mentioned previously.

Mils_81_Gimpel.JPG.b95931c1f8df84ce0b8087c685b5eb78.JPG

Does the sun always shine in Tirol?

Always, we're the land of milk and honey. So wonderful that we're not even allowed to leave the country and too perfect for all foreigners to be allowed in. B)