tdgraves 8th big year 2021

Tdgraves

Good weather again this morning. I tried another path on the ouse washes that I haven't tried before. It is raised up, so you get a 360 degree view, but so do all the birds :( so they immediately fly off. Not the best for birding, let alone photography, unless you like staring down a scope. However, it was a lovely walk in the sunshine, so I cannot complain (especially as it is forecast to rain for the rest of the week)

51019116458_898da9b04d_k.jpgIMG_0475 by tdgraves, on Flickr

this gives you an idea (the path is straight in real life!!)

I did see my first ever water pipit, but it saw my first and flew off, so no photo....

@Dave Williams this is not part of the RSPB reserve (which has been closed for months ayway due to wall renovations) but where the flood waters start from in Earith. The other RSPB reserves are open (not hides/facilities etc.) but you are only supposed to be exercising locally. It is difficult to shut them with so many public footpaths, bridleways etc. particularly at Fen Drayton. Although the flood managed to do what the government/RSPB could not!

Ouse washes, Cambridgeshire, 9/3/21

Canon 7D mark ii, 100-400 mark ii, ISO 500, f7.1, 1/4000

51019879061_8fcdfed892_h.jpgJ19A8243 by tdgraves, on Flickr

46) Great cormorant

Dave Williams

Sun AND a degree of freedom! Horrible here today and the forecast says it's going to get worse!

It has already clouded over here @Dave Williams...

Canon 7D mark ii, 100-400 mark ii, ISO 640, f7.1, 1/3200

51019879366_c116016f71_k.jpgJ19A8309 by tdgraves, on Flickr

47) Bar-tailed godwit

Edited by Tdgraves
typo

With some already showing summer colours, and an interloper....

Canon 7D mark ii, 100-400 mark ii, ISO 400, f7.1, 1/2500

51019968446_f1280cd426_k.jpgJ19A8322 by tdgraves, on Flickr

48) Black-tailed godwit

A better/closer shot of the whoopers, but they also saw me coming...

51019878971_23fbf029c8_k.jpgJ19A8193 by tdgraves, on Flickr

I also saw some other wildlife

51019879206_14e3510c85_k.jpgJ19A8278 by tdgraves, on Flickr

and that's it for this week. I refuse to trawl though for some EBCs to hit the half century. A couple from today could have done it, but the photos are ****

A lovely walk that keeps the total ticking on.

I think I am stuck on 48 for a while yet!

Nice walk. I wish!

If we are doing weather it is blowing the forecast houlie here now and set to last 48 hours.

I don't mind currently as we are in strict lockdown  and here it is lockdown or get locked up.

On 3/10/2021 at 3:01 AM, Tdgraves said:

I refuse to trawl though for some EBCs to hit the half century. A couple from today could have done it, but the photos are ****

Totally agree. It’s only March, not time to drop our standards yet 

Dave Williams

I like the scenic shots that give a feel for the environment too.

Mind you when the bird is that small you have to query is it a correct call!

The Bar-tailed Godwit looks dodgy to me unless I'm looking at the wrong bird.However, @Galana has seen it and hasn't passed comment so I guess I'm the only sceptic!!

Listen mate. When one has just told one lady player that her "Shoveller" is a hybrid park duck one knows when to keep one's head below the Hide parapet when another lady comes along with a Barwit.

I think you may be correct but I will let you tell her.:ph34r:

2 hours ago, Tdgraves said:

bird in foreground

Yes, I know the one you mean. It is also on your BlackTailed shot more to the right of shot  with its beak in the water I think.

Dave Williams
17 minutes ago, Galana said:

Yes, I know the one you mean. It is also on your BlackTailed shot more to the right of shot  with its beak in the water I think.

Could be! Lovely plumage too.

On 3/11/2021 at 4:53 PM, Dave Williams said:

The Bar-tailed Godwit looks dodgy to me unless I'm looking at the wrong bird

It is hard to tell, I agree. Judging by the amount of colour on the breast compared to most other godwits and how far it extends onto the sides, it could also be the Icelandic form of the Black-tailed Godwit (limosa limosa islandica). 

Dave Williams

Oh dear...I feel like we are ganging up on Tracey but there again I'm sure she wouldn't want to count a mistaken ID !!!!:rolleyes:

Sorry for the delay, have been at work all week and now feeling a bit under the weather after my second COVID vaccine yesterday. 

@Galanaand @Dave Williams have just been through all of the shots I have. Pretty difficult as most of the birds constantly have their heads down eating. These are the only two "clear" shots of the bills and the one I listed as bar-tailed is noticeably curved compared to the straight as an arrow one of the other bird...

51031917961_7942e32bf2_k.jpg00000177a by tdgraves, on Flickr

51031188443_f8357d004c_k.jpg00000176a by tdgraves, on Flickr

@PeterHG icelandic black-tailed godwits have definitely been reported around here at the moment, so who knows?

The new shot clinches it for me. I had noted the bill on your original version but can now see the slight supercilium too.

I expect poor @Dave Williamshas gone out early for his walk in order to make it back in time for the new 18.00 Curfew on males in wales.:P

Dave Williams
11 minutes ago, Galana said:

The new shot clinches it for me. I had noted the bill on your original version but can now see the slight supercilium too.

I expect poor @Dave Williamshas gone out early for his walk in order to make it back in time for the new 18.00 Curfew on males in wales.:P

Clinches it for me too.In that plumage it should have a dark bill, the Black-tailed has orange. They are very hard to differentiate in non breeding plumage.

Which jab did you get? The Astra by the sounds of it, still better slightly under the weather than a full blown virus. Hope you are fighting fit again soon!

10 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Which jab did you get? The Astra by the sounds of it, still better slightly under the weather than a full blown virus. Hope you are fighting fit again soon!

Pfizer. I am much better off than the OH who had felt flu-ey for 2 days now!!

Dave Williams
13 minutes ago, Tdgraves said:

The only side effect I had was a sore/stiff muscle where I was jabbed. Still waiting for my second and Claire is in Group 9 so that might be weeks away before she gets her first as they keep changing the pecking order!

Interesting "godwits" discussion but very interesting vaccine chat as I don't know anyone yet who is vaccinated

21 hours ago, Tdgraves said:

Hope you feel better soon @Tdgraves 

Our first shots have just been booked for March 19 and we reckoned that it will be Pfizer as the second shot is in three weeks' time. from what our relatives and friends told us, it seems the first shot has little side effect but the second one is more potent. 

(sorry for digressing from your thread....)

44 minutes ago, Kitsafari said:

Hope you feel better soon @Tdgraves 

Our first shots have just been booked for March 19 and we reckoned that it will be Pfizer as the second shot is in three weeks' time. from what our relatives and friends told us, it seems the first shot has little side effect but the second one is more potent. 

(sorry for digressing from your thread....)

much better today thanks (same can’t be said for the OH). Very wide degree of responses amongst people I know, I was absolutely fine after the first, just shows that the immune system is working!

Glad you are feeling better. I’ve had the first Pfizer jab with just a sore arm for a couple of days. Will have to see what the next one does. 

I got lucky and jumped the queue, a benefit of having a quarantine station as part of the property portfolio I am responsible for at work.