2021......a Tortoise in lockdown hibernation?

Dave Williams

Dave Williams
20 minutes ago, Zim Girl said:

Lucky you for seeing the Black Guillemots at Oban harbour.  We looked for them on our return back from Mull but they were nowhere to be found.

They were not in the harbour but some distance away near the long stay car park, nesting in drainage pipe holes under the promenade. I guess you probably wouldn't make Oban a stopping place if you'd just got off the ferry?

For future reference and anyone else who might be heading that way.

1503171075_Screenshot2021-07-15at12_54_58.jpg.3c8b663d15f238145aaef3ad7bbb54c7.jpg

4 hours ago, TonyQ said:

Just give a Spoiler Alert!

I may well do that. Or put up a YouTube video link with an A certificate.

michael-ibk
On 7/9/2021 at 2:53 AM, Kitsafari said:

we weren't drunk enough I guess

Always a mistake. I saw lots of monsters in the lochs when we were houseboating there. 😎

Spectacular photos Dave, especially the Dolphin, Razorbill and Black Guillemots. 

2 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

I saw lots of monsters in the lochs

I saw lots of monsters on this last trip too. We did not need Lochs but locks. Many had their parents with them in the shops.;)

Edited by Galana

Dave Williams

Just to keep my nose in front of @SoukousI decided to go and find something this morning before it got too hot and bright.

There you go Martin, an incentive to get out and look for that Dartford Warbler...one I'd love to have a crack at too!

127) Northern Lapwing

_G7A4902.jpg.5f495d954bf30e81630f331bd17d606a.jpg

I'll give you a bit of a head start Dave. 

It's so warm here that the birds are all hiding. Almost no birdsong either, even early morning.

On 7/19/2021 at 1:29 PM, Soukous said:

It's so warm here that the birds are all hiding. Almost no birdsong either, even early morning.

You must be describing Slovenia! Darn 3rd heat wave, and is not the last one. Only farmers are happy with tons of natural fertilizer in form of Sahara sand.

• 3 weeks later...
Dave Williams

The weather has cooled somewhat here in North Wales and the birding has too. August is the worst month of the year for activity, the local summer migrants have largely disappeared south and the winter visitors have yet to arrive.

Just got back from 3 days in Cambridge and although we had an excellent stay with friends it was a tad frustrating to know there were places not far away I could have scored a few points.

Ah well, doesn't matter really does it!

One bird that I haven't seen much of in recent months made an appearance under our bird feeders the other morning too. All my camera batteries were already in the car to use with my chosen Canon R5 body for travel so I quickly nipped out and got one, loaded my 5D4 and to my delight still managed to get a few shots. DSLR's are not dead, it still takes great shots although the R5 does have some significant advantages in some departments.

Anyway, this one makes up for the rather poor shot I submitted for this years BY.

A female Sparrowhawk giving me the eye!

51368402255_c01701176b_b.jpgSparrowhawk.  Accipiter nisus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Beautiful Sparrowhawk!

Seeing them quite a lot in the garden recently, just not been able to get a picture yet.

A real treat. We have Sparrowhawks here but I have yet to get one to sit still like that.

Beautiful sparrowhawk 

A  magnificent shot of the Sparrowhawk!

Kalaharikind

What fun I've had, catching up with your great shots and stories!

On 8/12/2021 at 2:57 AM, xelas said:

A killer shot with a killer gear!

well described! 

100% agree.

• 2 weeks later...
Dave Williams

August in the UK is one of the quietest months of the year and with it, apathy as far as birding is concerned particularly as the weather has been disappointing too. Last Saturday though I was motivated to get out down to our local reserve with news that the were a couple of potential additions to my BY. It was a gloriously sunny day and that isn't necessarily a bonus , especially when it comes to shooting in to the sun or at longer distance.

128)Little Stint

Little it is and a mere dot at 100m!

_G7A7874.jpg.cb77394f5527187735531b9661321328.jpg

129) Moorhen

Right in front of the hide the heat haze wasn't an issue either.

_G7A7870.jpg.ac6aed6cdd44d3d4989bef7fcc974708.jpg

130)Ruff

Shooting straight in to the sun makes life doubly difficult but at least some progress.

_G7A8151.jpg.729efa1070c684fc55ecaae76525bc53.jpg

An old saying. "You gotta be in it to win it." but I do share your lack of inclination. "Quite spots" hold screaming idiots, every corner of the road hides cyclists five abreast, and the bay is full of bloody jetskis.

It's enough to make me think of my favourite Scottish Glens. Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, Glenfarclas.

Edited by Galana

Dave Williams

Having to a point tasted success, when I heard there were more potential additions down at the reserve I returned yesterday but by now the weather had returned to dull and overcast which might actually help as the only place to capture my targets from was directly in to what might have been the sun again.

I was looking for and without help might not have spotted it as it was very distant, and not standing out from the Mallards around it too.

131)Garganey

_G7A8492.jpg.d639dfc10beee99890a184e74187c11a.jpg

The Ruff was in the same place as previously found but with the light being dull, a better shot was achievable.

_G7A9448.jpg.d3ffa05b5a9130c43bd1ced143649b48.jpg

132) Pintail

Like just about everything very distant but another addition!

_G7A9600.jpg.5b8778f9b13fdf024b71f509ff6aa1ea.jpg

133) Spotted Redshank

This one was a bit special as I have only knowingly seen two before. A tip off about where to find it help tremendously because for once it was separated from the main flock of Redshanks and easily spotted!

_G7A0119.jpg.ffb0d1b4bca229d85e3f40e3fa214217.jpg

Looking originally for the Spotted Redshank in with the crowd did bring a bonus though

134) Knot expecting that one though!

_G7A8723.jpg.3a0545a810bc1a02b1a8a41040f09460.jpg

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Ooops! Nearly forgot one.

Regulars at the local reserve especially during autumn and winter.

135)Black-tailed Godwit

_G7A9051.jpg.354d5fda9e47175a8b679fdb3cf7aacf.jpg

Good to see you’ve gone out again, even if shooting conditions were not ideal. I doubt if I would have picked up on the Garganey in the moulting outfit; it’s certainly not the best time to tell ducks apart! 

Dave Williams
1 hour ago, PeterHG said:

Good to see you’ve gone out again, even if shooting conditions were not ideal. I doubt if I would have picked up on the Garganey in the moulting outfit; it’s certainly not the best time to tell ducks apart! 

The white spot at the base of the bill was what I was told is the clincher!

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The white spot at the base of the bill was what I was told is the clincher!

Indeed. Your subject actually ticked most of the boxes.

Light chin, pale supercilium with another light stripe below the eye strip (ending in your white spot at the front). Usually swims with wing tips held  a bit lifted. Good effort.

My favourite is the Razorbill shot, what a unique fabulous looking bird, I saw lots in Scotland but a great photo really shows up those unusual markings. Glad you got your kicks with the Dolphins, great fun.

Dave Williams

Here's another I forgot to post from the other day at my local reserve.It turned out well in hindsight, best haul in a long time! I may well get to my UK target of 150 this year after all!

136)Greenshank

Greenshank.jpg.3b8d418bf214849e8be9f59ad5cfee14.jpg

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I may well get to my UK target of 150 this year after all!

I am sure that you will. Autumn is coming and you are heading to Ardnamurchan soon.