2021......a Tortoise in lockdown hibernation?

Dave Williams

Fantastic Sparrowhawk Dave! 

• 3 weeks later...

I spent a week with a friend of mine in Scotland last week, staying where @Galanahad done earlier in the summer. Conditions couldn't have been much worse at times but at least everywhere was green and I didn't have a guilty conscience about using as much water as I needed from the spring the cottage draws it's supply from. The trip was never about birds but the still rather rare and elusive Pine Marten, a creature I had never seen before never mind photograph. However, I did get out of the cottage for a drive on a couple of occasions and along the way spotted a new bird for my BY. A pair of high flying 136) White-tailed Eagles, a species I have seen just once before and then too far away to photograph. This was no exception really but the BY demands EBC!

_G7A7664.jpg.ca334827790f33959f6642d7058c88cf.jpg

Edited by Dave Williams

Good to see you got out of the Glen at times.

Nowt wrong with that bird.

• 3 weeks later...

That is always such a good find! I haven’t seen one for quite some time either.

7 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

first I have seen in several years too!

Never seen one sitting. Great find.

• 1 month later...
Dave Williams

We finally got out of the UK for a couple of weeks earlier this month and I have now had time to go through all my photos.We had intended going, and had actually booked, to one of my favourite winter destinations but as the dates for travel neared and there was still a UK Gov warning against all but essential travel we changed from The Gambia to...guess where!

Not nearly as many birds made worse by the fact I had no transport to get me to the places I might see some. Consequently not many to add to my list but instead I concentrated on getting better shots of the few that were about.

138) Bar-tailed Godwit

51701555940_3df9c87961_h.jpgBar-tailed Godwit by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

141) Yellow-legged Gull

The sun didn't shine all the time but at least it was warm. Black volcanic rock and white birds make an interesting photo challenge.

51693066453_a6435d5f4e_h.jpgYellow-legged Gull by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

148) Cory's Shearwater

A particularly windy 24 hours whipped up the sea between the resort we were staying and a nearby island and I spotted Cory's Shearwater some 5-600 metres off shore.

51704049708_a5e0c42055_h.jpgCory's Shearwater by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

149) Stone Curlew

Getting close to the Stone Curlew is no easy matter as they are so well camouflaged in the desert area outside our resort.

51710252208_1493ff19da_h.jpgStone Curlew by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

150)Spectacled Warbler

Might as well celebrate making my revised target for the year of 150 with another 'lifer" from the trip. Had we got to The Gambia it would have been 250!

51706952314_baa7d19304_h.jpgSpectacled Warbler by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

151)Barbary Partridge

I think we should all submit a single entry to EBC of the year on a different thread, this would be mine.

We took the bus , one of only two routes we had as options, to somewhere that was highly recommended to see Cream-coloured Courser, Houbara Bustard,Stone Curlew, Egyptian Vulture and the Partridge. After walking a total of 11kms in the lava strewn landscape this is the only one we saw and by the time my camera had sprung slowly in to life the accidentally flushed bird was very distant!_G7A6780.jpg.2cd5c615fcfefd3ec94d1fb98b2bb846.jpg

Dave Williams

152) Collared Dove

We didn't have to go all the way to the Canary Islands to see one of these, we have them in our local park. This one was sat on a barrier next to the bar where we would enjoy a sundowner overlooking the harbour and port area of our resort.

_G7A5903.JPG.a34fee3a795c3491c7c4950d40162c5a.JPG

Edited by Dave Williams

A whole set of really fantastic photos, Dave! (Well with the possible exception on the partridge ;)). That Berthelot's Pipit is not only a good lifer (would have been for me , too), but what a great way to capture it with the beetle! 

Dave Williams

Just one more addition for Fuerteventura.

Taken on the beach just south of Corallejo which is popular with naked sunbathers. You have to be careful where you point your camera!

153)Grey Plover

51710029572_2bfa6dbaeb_h.jpgGrey Plover by Dave Williams, on Flickr