2021......a Tortoise in lockdown hibernation?

Dave Williams

Your illustrated walks are so comprehensive Dave that I may not need to visit 'real' Llandudno at all. :P

If you are going to be stuck in Wales could you make your way down the coastline please?

Dave Williams
15 minutes ago, Soukous said:

Your illustrated walks are so comprehensive Dave that I may not need to visit 'real' Llandudno at all. :P

If you are going to be stuck in Wales could you make your way down the coastline please?

I'd love to Martin but I'm trying to stick within the guidelines ..just a few minor bending of the rules which hopefully are seen as legitimate reasons to use the car. Can't see me going too far for a while yet.

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Can't see me going too far for a while yet.

Well you do accuse me and my telescope keeping a watch out for you so it maybe as well if you stick close to home.

Not that I would snitch as to me Big Year is definitely very essential activity. Second only to ensuring adequate stocks of Red Wine (Not French) and Gin.:P

• 3 weeks later...
Dave Williams

Been I while since I posted so a quick update. I have nothing new to add although I did take delivery of a new RF100-500 lens a couple of days ago and that had a quick trial around the garden.

Talking of garden, the weather here has been much improved recently. Although bitterly cold Spring seems to be underway with the last remaining patch of Snowdrops still in flower but not for much longer._G7A9917.jpg.7142afbdca91b4e74a55b527b442eda7.jpg

Instead of getting out for walks I have started the usual spring clearance in the garden which is a fairly huge task and is quite daunting at times. I started stripping the outside walls to our garden of 40+ years of ivy growth which was  in recent high winds likely to act as a sail and bring down some of the wall. The trouble is what do you do with all this growth? I took 8 large bags down to the recycle centre and realised it was futile as I'd hardly made an impression on the pile and besides, it took half a day cutting it up to put in the bags. No a better solution was needed!

Remember the Great Orme Goats? Well, they are getting restless and some have made their way across town and ended up , with some encouragement from me, outside our house!

_G7A9493.jpg.2037be66485b43b4a437e1267538af23.jpg

It was a nice idea but it didn't work.

_G7A9774.jpg.557ff8ccb1dfa9dde8fe0762b01346b9.jpg

Before I knew it they were laying siege to the house, possibly demanding entrance to get their gnashers on some tastier prize plants!

Goat.jpg.1da7d2189e1ed5f0b8239507b67ad6d0.jpg

The Buddleia in the lane attracted one of them but when another decided to start munching the caravan enough was enough!460850528_Goat1.jpg.d8aba3232794947acc0896a0e4b0fdc8.jpg

A passing dog walker soon had the Goats in full flight as they headed back in to town and I can't say I was too disappointed, The state of our parking area was not pleasant after they left!

Anyway, I'll stick with encouraging the Badgers who now come to visit right outside the kitchen window. I haven't attempted much photography wise, just shooting through the double glazing and with no extra lighting other than a 20W LED floodlight.

_G7A9334-DeNoiseAI-denoise.jpg.c231e2999162e5b054e7f2a407fc4847.jpg

So other than offering another view of my home town, this time from the top of the Little Orme towards the Great Orme I haven't got much else to show.

IMG_3307.JPG.8a01e968f2335da5314b3264ae40536d.JPG

Oh, before I forget. The new lens!

and this is a birding thread after all.

Here's a shot of a Bullfinch, a 2001 Bullfinch, so proof for my BY sighting earlier.

They are a very pretty bird, especially the male. This one was munching the new unopened blossoms on a Blackthorn tree.

_G7A9909uc.jpg.c2c7e8b4b8e33d762fa19b054a912ea8.jpg

The resolution with 45mp to play with can allow huge crops

_G7A9908.jpg.d11e1a22e12092ba57cd88b521d32642.jpg

and it makes the image a little less messy with all the surrounding branches.

_G7A9909.jpg.e071cfd50c97d46c4b21db84a87db2f0.jpg

However, I'm not sure a small bird is best represented the size of a Turkey.

I'll leave that for you to decide.

Meanwhile....back to the garden!

Edited by Dave Williams

Beautiful goats. And a badger soo close to your house, you live in a great spot.

Dave Williams
5 hours ago, Biko said:

Beautiful goats. And a badger soo close to your house, you live in a great spot.

Yes, very lucky indeed @Bikoit's too easy to forget sometimes too.

By the way, the Goats really do smell!!

So what are your thoughts on the new lens? Do you think the RF lenses operate better on the R5 than your old lenses with a converter? 

Pleased to hear the Badgers are still around as we have not heard much about them lately.

I would not expect too much from your new Lens. It has caused those Snow Buntings to look more like Snowdrops.

About the ivy situation, you might use some red dye, and they might start the free fall down the wall?!

Your new zoom is ultralight, and despite it is not the brightest I am sure you will enjoy using it in the future. Looking forward to see more results.

What a nice walk and a nice place to spend a day, castles, seafood, pub....

Dave Williams

Having said the weather here has become springlike, today it's back to winter. Bitterly cold, dull and likely to rain soon!

Still I was out in the garden and heard the Pheasant that's been around the place recently so it was run in the house, grab the camera and try my luck! 

At last an addition, 45) Pheasant

51019333241_61faab14e6_b.jpgPheasant by Dave Williams, on Flickr

@shazdwnIn answer to your question re the RF lenses , having only just received the 100-500 it is early days but first impressions are very favourable. The Pheasant was taken with the new lens.

I can't say I have noticed any difference in AF speed at all. I did a side by side with the 100-400 and the latter with the 1.4TC was to me just as quick. Both lenses can take razor sharp shots too.

I might have noticed the IS was a bit better on the 100-500 but there again it weighs less too and that plus the extra reach was why I decided to buy it. The RF 1.4TC has yet to be delivered but a portable 700mm lens is an attractive proposition. I tried the EF 2.0x TC on the 100-400 and although the result is acceptable there is a loss of IQ and together with the EF=EOSR adapter the whole set up is rather long and heavy and one I won't be using.

I'm looking forward to having the RF1.4 but I have to say it's disappointing that you then are limited to a 420-700mm lens. I'm undecided as to if I should keep my 100-400 to have on my 5D4 so I have two camera and reach options when we next ( if we ever!) go on a safari trip. For birding, 420-700 is usually fine, for bigger subjects not so much.

The big question is what will become of my 500mm f4. It's still worth quite a lot of money and there are occasions when I would always want to use it over the 100-500 purely from a bokeh perspective. I can't see me being prepared to swop for an RF version due to cost. From what is rumoured as being the next lens launches there isn't anything that really attracts me but they are just rumours and you never know, an f4 400mm DO equivalent with the RF 2.0x TC could be a nice option instead of my 500. 

Edited by Dave Williams

Thanks for the detailed commentary @Dave Williams. I have a friend who swears the RF lenses are superior but I am sceptical. Then again she is a studio portrait photographer and I a wildlife photographer so our needs and lenses are different. Of course having only recently shelled out for a 400mm f2.3 v3 I really don’t want to hear there is something better on the market 😂

7 minutes ago, shazdwn said:

Of course having only recently shelled out for a 400mm f2.3 v3

there goes the kids inheritance :o

4 minutes ago, Soukous said:

there goes the kids inheritance :o

Good thing I don’t have any then 🤣🤣🤣

Dave Williams
40 minutes ago, shazdwn said:

Good thing I don’t have any then 🤣🤣🤣

Many years ago when my son came and asked me for advice on starting a family I told him I wouldn't bother! I think he was a bit shocked to say the least!! I don't regret having them but life would be so much simpler without them too!

Dave Williams
58 minutes ago, shazdwn said:

Thanks for the detailed commentary @Dave Williams. I have a friend who swears the RF lenses are superior but I am sceptical. Then again she is a studio portrait photographer and I a wildlife photographer so our needs and lenses are different. Of course having only recently shelled out for a 400mm f2.3 v3 I really don’t want to hear there is something better on the market 😂

I sometimes wonder if people swear by their new purchases to justify in their own minds the fact they have bought them.

There is apparently no loss in IQ using EF lenses with the adapter and from what I have seen I concur. Communication speed might be milli seconds faster and the IS in the RF lenses might be better too but there isn't enough in it to give any big benefit for a like for like swap if it's costing a lot to do so IMO. 

8 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I sometimes wonder if people swear by their new purchases to justify in their own minds the fact they have bought them

So true! 

Dave Williams

Some good "lockdown news" here in Wales last Friday and for those of us who had been sticking to the rules, we are now rewarded with the freedom of driving to a place of exercise provided it's still local. 5 miles is a suggested limit. 

So, yesterday the weather cleared sufficiently and I jumped in the car and headed to a place where it wasn't too far to carry my camera.

Chance to try out my RF 100-500!

51043498687_782c513399_b.jpgSnow Bunting by Dave Williams, on Flickr

There were now 5 birds present, something I haven't seen before so worth an attempt to capture them in one shot!

51043498812_108368a846_b.jpgSnow Bunting by Dave Williams, on Flickr

My ordered 1.4 TC arrived 24 hours too late so if I go back I'll have a bit more reach to play with too but I have been reasonably impressed so far.

Good news coming lately from UK! I only hope they will keep staying good.

We never doubted you Dai. (Honest!)

Lovely little birds and the results rewarded your efforts.

Dave Williams
With my newly arrived RF1.4 TC plus the RF100-500 PLUS a set of wheels the new found freedom had to be exploited! I chose the high tide when if I'd left it until later we had some glorious evening light. Never mind I got to try my new play thing and a couple of additions to boot!
It was truly miserable at the Purple Sandpiper roost.
Nice to see the golf course populated again ( couldn't understand why they shut in the first place), and I was not the only one after a birdie!
46)Mute Swan
51047135201_f67a9b342b_b.jpgMute Swan by Dave Williams, on Flickr
Then on to a reliable spot for 47) House Sparrow
before adding yet another in the form of a 48)Starling
51047217672_f2b69dab6f_b.jpgStarling by Dave Williams, on Flickr

so good to see you out and happy again B)

A new lease of life indeed. Can a new Camera do that for everyone I wonder?

A lovely Starling portrait of an often neglected bird.

@Dave Williams, is it possible for us to have a side-by-side photo of your previous camera gear and your new one? Too see the size difference.

A set of beautiful additions! I hope you enjoy both the gained freedom and the new gear. Both certainly look promising!