Zim Girl's 4th Big Year 2021

Zim Girl

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I couldn't tell the difference between Lesser and Common

I use a calendar. I don't think Common breed in Britain. So March to October they are Lesser. Simples.

Never commented on your bumper haul as I was linked to the Pipits.

Some excellent stuff there. Hope the Koi survived.

18 hours ago, xelas said:

More of great finds! For partridge and grouse, I will have to visit your locations. Eventually.

Would love for you to get over our way some time, Alex.

16 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Nice additions there especially the garden Redpoll and although I couldn't tell the difference between Lesser and Common I do think your Pipits are all Mipits!. Herons can clear you out in no time, hope the Koi survived!

Nor do I Dave.  All the Redpoll sightings in Lancs/Cumbria are recorded as Lesser, and as @Galanasays.

We lost one more goldfish last night.  It was lying dead on the patio so the heron must have been disturbed.  Don't know how it got through the barricade as the trailcam had got too wet to see clearly in the heavy rain.

15 hours ago, Galana said:

I use a calendar. I don't think Common breed in Britain. So March to October they are Lesser. Simples.

Never commented on your bumper haul as I was linked to the Pipits.

Some excellent stuff there. Hope the Koi survived.

Thank you!

michael-ibk

Beautiful additions Angie!

Thank you Michael.

elefromoz

The Robin is such a cheerful little Bird, one was happy to share my morning tea in Oban a couple of years back, so cute. Oh the little Lapwing chick is so sweet too, they look so defenceless though.

Kitsafari

Lovely additions!  hope most of the fish survived. they have to be very stressed!

Poor fish - I hope you are able to sort out some protection

5 hours ago, shazdwn said:

Poor fish - I hope you are able to sort out some protection

We have improved the temporary fencing around the pond.  The heron is still coming at night, but we have seen both of our big Koi, so they have survived so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Another mixed bag.  The weather has been dreadful for May so not many opportunities for bird watching, but on a better note the hides are finally open in the RSPB reserves :).

First, one of our very common garden birds, seen every day.

75.  European Goldfinch

P1360871c.jpg.de1feca8bab1f265422613fd58f0e700.jpg

Back garden  -  13/05/21

A very wet walk along the canal, but we found one bird, often seen hunting around this spot.

76.  Grey Heron

P1360943c.jpg.379c45744e97a35402242af42327c23a.jpg

Lancaster Canal  -  15/05/21

We had been waiting to visit RSPB Leighton Moss as soon as the hides opened, so we went up last week on the one sunny day.  It was great to get into the estuary hides and see the chaos and mayhem that is the Black-headed Gull breeding colony and also the many Avocets that calmly nest in amongst the gulls. 

It produced my first lifer of the year, a pair of nesting Mediterranean Gulls.  Unfortunately they were at the furthest point away from the hide so rubbish picture sadly.  The RSPB volunteer that was in the hide said he thinks it is the first time they have bred here at the reserve.

77.   Mediterranean Gull

P1370046c.jpg.a52e725e8ba4fff754827c0218132137.jpg

RSPB Leighton Moss  -  18/05/21

Avocets continue to do really well here, there were numerous nests on the various islands.

Also, locally they are doing well in our area.  At Conder Green on the Lancashire coastal way there are now 9 chicks from 3 nests with another 5 nests with sitting birds.  We saw two of the chicks when we went up for the canal walk.  At Newton Marsh just up the road from us there is also a pair nesting.

78.  Pied Avocet

P1370022c.jpg.a9ab7803e2b0a4f39c1718b7562ad6e3.jpg

P1370032c.jpg.8593639ec1015ec76e0a9f7e7281f9cb.jpg

P1370037c.jpg.94befc2c38e933c4c6789d5734001b60.jpg

RSB Leighton Moss  -  18/05/21

There were lots of Black-headed gull chicks hiding in the grass.  I have never seen their chicks before and they were very cute to watch.

P1370055c.jpg.b860003573bc47ce5eb6d69b2249f757.jpg

"Look at me, I can fly too"

P1370161c.jpg.38393d27d6549c3780f021024c446642.jpg

79.  Great White Egret

P1370069c.jpg.b7f43b59ccdb8f2cede282929be5b568.jpg

There were also 2 Spoonbills but they were so distant I only have a picture of white blobs so will have to try again for those.

I then spent a few hours on the main reserve but apart from this guaranteed shot of the nesting Black-backed gulls I didn't come back with anything.

80.  Great Black-backed Gull

P1370114c.jpg.95c2b8bfef715e7684cd3026e8ddb1d7.jpg

We were back up in the South Lakes area on Saturday.  Mr & Mrs Osprey have hatched their 3rd and final chick at Foulshaw.  Plenty of feeding action on the webcams currently.

We walked over Whitbarrow Fell and came across several pairs of Stonechats in different areas of the fell.

81.  Eurasian Stonechat

Male

P1370294c.jpg.f0477782137725623c1d3ce813feb3b1.jpg

Female

P1370262c.jpg.6d854e97c574fd6279dd401760ca5c1a.jpg

Whitbarrow Fell, Cumbria  -  22/05/21

michael-ibk

Lovely shots! Good to have a new breeding record. And I also had no idea BH Gull chicks look like that. 

That is a lovely Stonechat!

Another good day out. Good to see a pair of Mediterranean Gulls too. It was only a matter of time that they got up to LMoss.

Dave Williams

Excellent progress ! The Avocets never seem to come across the border in to Wales. Nice one with the Med Gulls , I don't expect they will be on my list this year.

Just to be pedantic, and only because my birding pal always corrected me, there's no such bird as a Great WHITE Egret....see what he's done to me!!

20 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Lovely shots! Good to have a new breeding record. And I also had no idea BH Gull chicks look like that. 

Thank you.  There were lots of the chicks hiding in amongst the grass, they were great fun!

19 hours ago, TonyQ said:

That is a lovely Stonechat!

Thank you Tony.

11 hours ago, Galana said:

Another good day out. Good to see a pair of Mediterranean Gulls too. It was only a matter of time that they got up to LMoss.

Thank you.  Hopefully they will produce chicks that go on to survive.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Excellent progress ! The Avocets never seem to come across the border in to Wales. Nice one with the Med Gulls , I don't expect they will be on my list this year.

Just to be pedantic, and only because my birding pal always corrected me, there's no such bird as a Great WHITE Egret....see what he's done to me!!

Thank you.  The Avocets are lovely birds to watch, so graceful.   Just copying the name in the RSPB book, although it does say the international name is Great Egret.

Beautiful photos of Avocets and Gulls. It's always nice to find a lifer. I have yet to come across a Mediterranean Gull this year

Thank you Peter.

great shots! brilliant that you are able to record birds breeding and nesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Last batch of birds before we leave for 2 weeks in Scotland on Saturday, and as our Zambia trip in October is now looking extremely unlikely, we will have to make the most of it!

82.  Song Thrush

P1370372c.jpg.953c37cffc8148dbe6eb5305c5319d23.jpg

Back garden  -  29/05/21