A return to Magical Kenya in the middle of the global Pandemic; A wet wet wet Mara; Cheetah everywhere; Chalo Africa with Asilia; Superb Naboisho Conservancy and lots lots more................

madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

@COSMIC RHINO

In brief, The MPCP and their plans with the Cheetah project .......... 

1.) Rough estimate of the Resident Mara cheetah population is 50 (Cheetah over the age of 1) - Mara reserve, Triangle and 16 private conservancies combined.

2.) Plans to collar a few male Dispersers to see where they move to in establishing their own territory.  Possibly project to collar has been delayed due to Covid and funding........ Hope is to also coordinate efforts with the Serengeti Cheetah project if this happens.  

3.) Some history about the individual cheetahs they monitor - so many of the current Mara cheetah are from the Amani family tree.  She's still around between Mara North and OMC and i think might have cubs too!!

What changes have i seen?  Just that I'd say the conservancy model is such a conservation success!!! One would only think of the big 4 or 5 conservancies - Mara North, OMC, naboisho and maybe Ol Kinyei and the Cottor's one ..... but, fact is there are 16 conservancies at the moment. Plans are in the pipeline for a couple more new ones.  Also, Wild dogs making a comeback in areas like the Lemek conservancy.

Edited by madaboutcheetah
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• madaboutcheetah

• COSMIC RHINO

• AKR1

• Kitsafari

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Big Thank You to the team at Asilia for all the wonderful hospitality at both the Camps .......... Lewis and Becca at Rekero are one of the best hosts we've had in all of Africa and they've a wide exp

As 2020 was ending, I had more and more of an itch to return to Africa.  I knew quite a few people from India who had made it to Kenya in November and December ......... Why not try and go there while

Thanks a lot @Atdahland @Soukous   In this instalment,    Pictures 1-3 of Egyptian Goose at the Naboisho bridge/ crossing point 4-6 Kuahidi and her son picture 8 - very l

Posted Images

COSMIC RHINO

With such low population numbers there would be concerns about low genetic diversity 

sounds like the cub survival rate is low 

do you have any idea as to the size  of the female/cub range  and the male cheetah  territories?

Kitsafari

good news on the wild dogs, and on how successful Amani's legacy is. 

• 3 weeks later...
gatoratlarge

Such amazing photos!  I was worried watching those cubs cross the river!  Thanks for such a great escape to Africa!