A Her-man BY with Kit 2021

Kitsafari

258. Streaked Bulbul, Dairy Farm Nature Park

Another one of those rare winter visitors

StreakedBulbul-DFNP.jpg.6af3e62eafbb060701639fcc4ff3dcdb.jpg

259. Eastern Buzzard, Henderson Wave

Just zipping by Singapore on its way down south. 

EasternBuzzard-HendersonWaves.jpg.a96f610358002156ade2092786876c0f.jpg

260. Grey-streaked Flycatcher, Sembawang

A very rare vagrant in Singapore that was very likely transiting through here to get down to Sulawesi, the Sundas and New Guinea in its winter migration. 

GreyStreakedFC-Sembawang.jpg.db299aa955dff6de9d82f721fc93e4b4.jpg

Already in the count at #55, but this time a rather beautiful first-year adult Blue & White or Zappy flycatcher (both species are indistinguishable before full adulthood) coming into the region on its migratory route.

1205432424_BlueWhiteZappeyFC-TampinesEcoGreen.jpg.cd5415bee51176af4d96b3df1d3b1990.jpg

Edited by Kitsafari

261. Bar-tailed Godwit, Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserves

an uncommon winter visitor

BarTailedGodwit1-SBWR.jpg.a5a535210c44c616d70f9a2fb441c4dd.jpg

BarTailedGodwit2-SBWR.jpg.34a93ce7ff3d8984f0928b61044392c5.jpg

262. Eastern Marsh Harrier, Henderson Waves

Another raptor waving to us as it flies by us down to the Indonesian archipelago.

EasternMarshHarrier-HendersonWaves.jpg.c8e8f0238c28ed167566b75bde62e926.jpg

263. Ashy Minivet, Kent Ridge Park

AshyMinivet1-TampinesEcoGreen.jpg.e0f6563cf587189d0562a3beb409f16c.jpg

AsyMinvet2-TampinesEcoGreen.jpg.4dc4404095e48198a989df8ccc48473b.jpg

Edited by Kitsafari

264. Thick-billed Pigeon, Mount Faber

An uncommon resident bird. 

ThickBilledGreenPigeon-MtFaber.jpg.53054bc46a00be3f3f1b4178a9c0a130.jpg

265. Asian Pied Starling, Sungei Tengah

AsianPiedStarling1-SungeiTengah.jpg.395ba38433b8011bafa7ab50abea9c99.jpg

AsianPiedStarling-SungeiTengah.jpg.5b1ef949584351aaca0f938caf6b4b63.jpg

266. Siberian Thrush, Dairy Farm Nature Park

SiberianThrush(F)-DFNP.jpg.4f5a7ad01351a2c5e7f7417472f88ffc.jpg

SiberianThrush(M)-DFNP.jpg.fd7880139f09869380d76b03fc9081c7.jpg

You guys are really putting in the effort!

On 11/4/2021 at 10:35 AM, Kitsafari said:

and the park authorities was kind enough to do crowd control by doing a queue system, allowing photographers in 10 by 10 for 15 minutes to avoid crowding.

Good on them for that. Beautiful little Kingfishers. I do envy those who have such diversity in their "migrations". Not much south of me to fly to or from.

Many beautiful additions and photos again! That Thick-billed Pigeon is a striking bird.

Very nice additions, I think it´s clear that the first spot for the own country count is already booked.

267. Pallas Grasshopper Warbler, Sengkang Floating Wetlands

Also called Rusty-rumped Warbler, this uncommon winter migrant flies in from as far north as SIberia and Mongolia. 

PallasGrasshopperWarbler1-SengkangFloatingWetlands.jpg.c8c070396c515d8aa23047e9968068a3.jpg

PallasGrasshopperWarbler2-SengkangFloatingWetlands.jpg.3bbc660e66843d04a2ca9766a3cf07a5.jpg

Thanks for all the kind comments, as always, @Peter Connan @elefromoz @PeterHG @pedro maia

That's it for now. We may finally get some overseas birds as we are flying out tomorrow night to Catalonia! cold but i think nearly all the European birds will be freshly new to us as birders! 

Dave Williams

Wow! Your local patch count is incredible and so many enviable birds. When I saw the Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher my jaw dropped, it's been a much wanted bird for me since my first trip to India then you hit me with Blue-eared too. It's just not fair:(!!!!

However, well managed though it is, queueing to take turns , organised though it certainly is, doesn't sit well in my idea of birding, well not often anyway. I guess nowadays too many people have the same hobby and access to top end equipment has never been more affordable so in a densely populated area there will always be a crowd. 

Mind you Singapore seems to have enough birds around to disperse everyone!!

Dave Williams

PS Have a great trip to Europe!

1 hour ago, Kitsafari said:

We may finally get some overseas birds as we are flying out tomorrow night to Catalonia!

Have a great time there! Looking forward to your Spanish additions.

@Dave Williams hahahaa this migration season saw a handful of oriental dwarf kingfishers compared with last year when one made a fleeting appearance in the dense forest for a day or two. sadly 2 or 3 slammed into our buildings and died, while one was happily diving in a public lake but what they suspected to be a toman fish took it. :(   but yes it is sucha gorgeous bird and very very much sought after. 

Singapore  may have the numbers in species, but density is really very poor.. the migration birds we get are in single numbers, often just 2-3 each species so there is always a mad rush for each. hopefully with travel opening, more photographers will travel and leave the birders and birds in peace! 

More from Singapore, and I am sure also Spain will add to the already excellent 2021 BY number. Hopefully it will not be too cold.

Hope you have a marvelous trip!