A Her-man BY with Kit 2021

Kitsafari

48. Brown Shrike, Changi Business Park

BrownShrike-CBP.jpg.211d838160f1632cc304416d5f1604b2.jpg

49. Long-tailed Shrike, Changi Business Park

LongTailedShrike-CBP.jpg.443f5f1ded25e6c6a50f68629f45a247.jpg

50. Blue-Winged Pitta, Singapore Botanic Gardens

The gorgeous pittas are always top draws in our lists. 

BlueWingedPitta-SBG.jpg.98fcf9c07262f062aba18bbb9d8baf45.jpg

51. Hooded Pitta, near Shenton Way

Another migrant that popped up surprisingly at the financial centre.

HoodedPitta2-ShentonWay.jpg.78eb32b844711cdcfeae0073da62ca05.jpg 

52. Mangrove Pitta, Pasir Ris Park

For  a nice change, all three pittas were sighted within January although Herman wasn't able to shoot this mangrove pitta until early February when it was all clean and fat and well rested. 

MangrovePitta2-PRP.jpg.225050a2e6fa55e5741dab416dd5fa18.jpg

53. Cotton Pygmy Goose, Bishan-Ang Mo Kio park

The rare non-breeding visitor flew into the park earlier this year, and decided that one of the ponds was its best location to chill, eat and rest there. it seemed like a perfectly safe place until one day, it dived into the waters quickly when a peregrine falcon circled above it. But it was safe, the falcon flew off and the tiny cute migrant goose continues to sleep unmolested in the pond. The bird seemed quite relaxed with humans, as it was only about 12-15m or so from us in the waters. This is a female. the males are really good-looking.

It's native to the Indian subcontinent, southern China to mainland SEA, the Philippines, Indonesia to northern Australia. 

CottonPygmyGoose1-BAMK.jpg.428f00ae9c4dbdbdfc04fd974967d0f1.jpg

CottonPygmyGoose2-BAMK.jpg.ced79a2363ce929337f53db85d58d425.jpg

CottonPygmyGoose3-BAMK.jpg.a2e140c9fac953e7d25eee8a3d44bae1.jpg

Edited by Kitsafari

45 minutes ago, Tdgraves said:

Well done on the half century @Kitsafari

yes indeed, and such beautiful birds too

Congratulations on the 50. Nice birds but I find the locations equally fascinating.

Changi Business Park and Financial Centres just don't sound like the kind of eco systems to look for  Pitta.

Sharks maybe, Shrikes no.

Dave Williams

It's a crazy number of fabulous species for such a small island and I really regret spending the day sat drinking beers instead of birding.. Ok, no I don't but it's taken the shine off a very enjoyable day!

Three varieties of Pitta is insane, more than a Greek take away is likely to have. I'm wondering what you'll come up with next. 
Well done on the 50 up.... incidentally how do you find these birds?

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

the day sat drinking beers instead of birding.. Ok, no I don't

Phew! I thought for whole minute your recent Covid jab had produced an unlisted side effect.:P I was about to ring for help.

Already past 50 and with yet again an amazing collection of photographs! Stunning Barred Eagle Owl and of course equally beautiful Pittas.

14 hours ago, Galana said:

Congratulations on the 50. Nice birds but I find the locations equally fascinating.

Changi Business Park and Financial Centres just don't sound like the kind of eco systems to look for  Pitta.

Sharks maybe, Shrikes no.

@Galana in Changi business park, there is a thin but untouched strip of woodlands across a canal behind a bus depot that has attracted a fair bit of migrants - bazas, buzzards, drongos, cuckoos.  we used to see a common kingfisher too but as more photographers visit the place now, the kingfisher seems to have abandoned the location. at least I hope it has abandoned and not died on the way back to on the way here. 

seeing the specialties in the financial centre did surprise us all - it either reflects that the birds are adapting well, or worse, that suitable habitats are shrinking fast for the migrant birds which use Singapore as a transit point.  

@Dave Williams the birding community shares information of any sighting on FB or whatsapp groups. there are individual groups too which try to share any sighting quick before details leak to the masses. Any photos of nesting are banned from a couple  of the FB birding pages, and people are encouraged to speak out against any unethical efforts (like trimming branches in front of a nest or walking too close to a bird). In general, most of the photographers (versus birder-photographers) are well behaved although there is always that herd instinct when a special bird is sighted! the major complaint I have is that people talk too much and too loudly while waiting for birds - almost like we are in a market!

plus and  minus of the growing popularity of taking bird photos (also the result of being stuck in the country) - minus is that too many people can crowd the birds but plus is that there is more awareness of wild birds and the need to protect habitats . there is an increasing willingness to learn more of nature vs industrial development, which is a good thing in my view. 

Edited by Kitsafari

Thanks @Tdgraves @Galana @soukous  @Dave Williams  @PeterHG

most of the special and beautiful species are in the count and with the migration season winding down, the count is likely to also slow down. We need to travel!! 

Covratulations on more than 50 beautiful birde and photos!

10 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

the major complaint I have is that people talk too much and too loudly while waiting for birds -

I agree. It is surprising how many folks forget that..."Birds have ears too!".

Wow, you are making fast progress, congrats! The Pittas are wonderful of course, but I also love the Woodpeckers and the Owl. 

I just caught up on your incredible variety of birds and awesome photos. That owl is awesome and I am very jealous of all your pittas. I’ve been to the Singapore botanical gardens a few times but would never have expected to find a pitta. I so need another trip to Singapore now I know what is on offer. 

Congrats on breaking 50! There are some cracking photos in there. My favourite has to be banded woodpecker 

Well done on reaching 50.

Congratulations also to Herman who has become an excellent bird photographer.

Thank you @TonyQ - Herman sends his thanks too.

On 2/22/2021 at 2:24 PM, TonyQ said:

Well done on reaching 50.

Congratulations also to Herman who has become an excellent bird photographer.

He certainly has. Although he might have been one already and we only discovered it when Kit started posting his photos. 

Thanks @Soukous he'd rather press that click than type on the boring keyboard.