michael-ibk

Breathtaking! Incredibly beautiful.

Zarek Cockar

@RC88CORThanks for doing this trip report! And thank you for all your VERY kind praise!  I'm fairly certain Touge spotted the cheetah first, not me.  I think I saw I saw it right after him, but I remember thinking that if he hadn't have said something, I might have missed it.

Also, I believe our Monitors were Savannah Monitors (Varanus exanthematicus) rather than Nile Monitors.  The head shape and body markings are indicative of Savannah.

Lots of great memories here.  That full day with the elephants was one of the most magical I've had on safari anywhere.  Here's what I wrote to Sangeeta about that day:

"6th : Spent a full day out to allow for the long drive down to where the big breeding herd of elephants were.
We found a few elephants, watched them cross a river, waited, found saw some more. We heard more on the
other side of the river, so we assumed most of the rest of the herd had already crossed before we got there.
But Togi and Ibrahim (one of the rangers), felt we should wait. Watched about 30 cross total. Then waited
some more. Eventually a few more started to appear downstream. After about 45 min, all 300 or so of the
bulk of the herd had crossed the river. It was a completely magical experience. The sound of the elephants
trumpeting, splashing, sloshing, rumbling…. RC88COR cried. Everyone agreed it was absolutely fantastic. 
After the elephants, we moved on, found a few mega herds of buffalo, and eventually started on our way
back to camp. VERY long, hot drive.  We eventually got back to Tinga around 4 pm. Everyone was exhausted and we all just wanted to shower and
relax for the rest of the afternoon."

Botswanadreams

Hi Zarek seeing the big Elephant herd of Zakouma in the river bed is an unforgettable experience. We were lucky the year before. I hope next year you will have the chance to see your beloved dessert - Ennedi and the Lakes of Ounianga.

Zarek Cockar

Thanks Christa. A trip was supposed to happen this year, but COVID laid those plans to rest.  Fingers crossed for next year!

I hope you're well!

On 3/5/2021 at 5:07 AM, Zarek Cockar said:

@RC88CORThanks for doing this trip report! And thank you for all your VERY kind praise!  I'm fairly certain Touge spotted the cheetah first, not me.  I think I saw I saw it right after him, but I remember thinking that if he hadn't have said something, I might have missed it.

Also, I believe our Monitors were Savannah Monitors (Varanus exanthematicus) rather than Nile Monitors.  The head shape and body markings are indicative of Savannah.

Lots of great memories here.  That full day with the elephants was one of the most magical I've had on safari anywhere.  Here's what I wrote to Sangeeta about that day:

"6th : Spent a full day out to allow for the long drive down to where the big breeding herd of elephants were.
We found a few elephants, watched them cross a river, waited, found saw some more. We heard more on the
other side of the river, so we assumed most of the rest of the herd had already crossed before we got there.
But Togi and Ibrahim (one of the rangers), felt we should wait. Watched about 30 cross total. Then waited
some more. Eventually a few more started to appear downstream. After about 45 min, all 300 or so of the
bulk of the herd had crossed the river. It was a completely magical experience. The sound of the elephants
trumpeting, splashing, sloshing, rumbling…. RC88COR cried. Everyone agreed it was absolutely fantastic. 
After the elephants, we moved on, found a few mega herds of buffalo, and eventually started on our way
back to camp. VERY long, hot drive.  We eventually got back to Tinga around 4 pm. Everyone was exhausted and we all just wanted to shower and
relax for the rest of the afternoon."

@Zarek CockarHi Zarek! Hope you are well. So great to get your input on these posts - well noted on the cheetah sighting and the savannah monitor. Let me know, If you see anything else that needs to be adjusted. 

Edited by RC88COR

On 3/4/2021 at 10:07 PM, gatoratlarge said:

This is the part I've been most curious about!  Awesome photos!  Why did they cover the car in canvas?  The tents look pretty comfortable, did it get chilly at night?  Were you on roads in Ennedi or did the guides just drive on the sand/dunes?  So curious about this area...

@gatoratlargeThank you!

They covered the vehicles with canvas to create a wind/sand shield in order to prepare the food and create a sleeping area for the crew. The tents were definitely comfortable. We brought sleeping bags, but I only used it tentatively one night; the nights were not too cool, and I found the comforters and sheets they provided were sufficient. There are no roads in Ennedi, it was all off-road driving through the rock and sand, and around and over the sand dunes. It takes a lifetime of experience to drive through this area; the drivers were from the region and knew how to navigate the terrain. We did get stuck in the sand for a bit a couple of times, but that was all part of the adventure.

Edited by RC88COR

8 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Breathtaking! Incredibly beautiful.

@michael-ibkthank you! 

ENNEDI - DAY 3 - continued

I must say, Day 3 was EPIC!  After Bachikele we continued on.

At some point on Day 3 I ran out of superlatives to describe what I was seeing. It is an experience that is just so beyond words; something you just have to experience.

The rock formations are astounding! I have an interest in geology and being immersed in such magnificent rock formations shaped by the sand and wind over time was awesome!

We had a delicious lunch overlooking the Aloba Arch which is massive - span 75m x height 120m  (250 ft x 395 ft)

Here are more photos from Day 3. I will let the photos speak for themselves. 

Arch of Julia 

Aloba Arch

Elephant Arch 

DSCN1089.JPG

DSCN1097.JPG

DSCN1100.JPG

DSCN1108.JPG

DSCN1115.JPG

thumbnail_20200224_134030_HDR.jpg

thumbnail_20200224_140242_HDR.jpg

thumbnail_20200224_140309_HDR.jpg

DSCN1120.JPG

thumbnail_20200224_140514_HDR.jpg

DSCN1151.JPG

thumbnail_20200224_140727_HDR.jpg

thumbnail_20200224_140949.jpg

DSCN1135.JPG

DSCN1176.JPG

DSCN1181.JPG

DSCN1191.JPG

DSCN1187.JPG

DSCN1207.JPG

DSCN1196.JPG

DSCN1198.JPG

DSCN1208.JPG

thumbnail_20200224_160038.jpg

Botswanadreams

@RC88COR Thanks very much for nice memories. As we traveled through Ennedi I could stop everywhere to take pictures because I new that I never get a missed opportunity again. One of my pics from Arch de Julia is now my Google desktop background. So it reminds me every day of this wonders of the Sahara. It is a bit shame that your time was limited. There are so many rock paintings in Ennedi. 

Day 3 was a busy day. We were moving faster than normal trying to make up for the lost days due to the flight cancellations and still see everything on our original itinerary. Nevertheless, t it was amazing!

For context, the Ennedi Plateau is approx. 40,000 square kilometers, about the size of Switzerland. And the rock formations are sandstone.

We headed onwards to an area that was truly phenomenal and one of my most anticipated trip sights ...

Labyrinthe d'Oyo

I spent some time wandering throught the labyrinth - so great!

DSCN1222.JPG

DSCN1226.JPG

DSCN1228.JPG

DSCN1230.JPG

DSCN1235.JPG

thumbnail_20200224_164332.jpg

thumbnail_20200224_164455_HDR.jpg

thumbnail_20200224_164458_HDR.jpg

DSCN1241.JPG

thumbnail_20200224_165754.jpg

DSCN1244.JPG

thumbnail_20200224_165831.jpg

DSCN1247.JPG

DSCN1249.JPG

DSCN1252.JPG

DSCN1254.JPG

DSCN1255.JPG

DSCN1258.JPG

DSCN1259.JPG

DSCN1269.JPG

DSCN1271.JPG

Edited by RC88COR

We then continued on to a see our first rock paintings (sorry, can't recall the name of the site) and then to our camp for the night which was on the edge of the Guelta d'Archei.

We travelled in 3 vehicles, 2 for us (with driver and guide), and the other was for the crew who would go ahead of us to set up lunch/dinner and the nightly campsite. By the time we arrived at the campsite in the evenings the tents were already set up, the campfire was going, and dinner was being prepared. 

DSCN1296.JPG

DSCN1283.JPG

DSCN1284.JPG

DSCN1285.JPG

DSCN1286.JPG

DSCN1293.JPG

DSCN1294.JPG

DSCN1297.JPG

DSCN1302.JPG

DSCN1303.JPG

DSCN1305.JPG

DSCN1306.JPG

thumbnail_20200225_055507.jpg

thumbnail_20200225_055527.jpg

Edited by RC88COR

1 hour ago, Botswanadreams said:

@RC88COR Thanks very much for nice memories. As we traveled through Ennedi I could stop everywhere to take pictures because I new that I never get a missed opportunity again. One of my pics from Arch de Julia is now my Google desktop background. So it reminds me every day of this wonders of the Sahara. It is a bit shame that your time was limited. There are so many rock paintings in Ennedi. 

@Botswanadreams I know the feeling of wanting to stop everywhere. We did see many rock paintings, so that was pretty special. Even though we had to move faster than normal, I would not change a thing. And hopefully I will be able to return to Chad and spend more time focused on Ennedi.

@RC88COR Really exciting trip report - the Cheetah, Striped Hyena, and Greater Kudu sightings were unexpected and great to see. What an amazing trip this must have been...

@jeremieCompletely agree that Chad (for me the combination of Zakouma+OROA) is a top destination in Africa now. It's also #3 on my list, after Sierra Leone and Ethiopia/Somaliland.

Really enjoying this trip report. Some of the landscapes remind me of Purnululu World Heritage site in Western Australia. It is an example of Cone Karst and is from the Devonian Period.

1 hour ago, Anomalure said:

@RC88COR Really exciting trip report - the Cheetah, Striped Hyena, and Greater Kudu sightings were unexpected and great to see. What an amazing trip this must have been...

@jeremieCompletely agree that Chad (for me the combination of Zakouma+OROA) is a top destination in Africa now. It's also #3 on my list, after Sierra Leone and Ethiopia/Somaliland.

@Anomalurethank you! It was such a great trip - each new day seemed to exceed the previous day. I highly recommend Zakouma and OROA and Ennedi. I think Chalo Africa has another trip planned for March 2022. 

On 3/5/2021 at 5:16 PM, KiwiGran said:

Really enjoying this trip report. Some of the landscapes remind me of Purnululu World Heritage site in Western Australia. It is an example of Cone Karst and is from the Devonian Period.

@KiwiGran Glad you are enjoying the TR! Yes, I recall seeing photos of Purnululu and thinking the rock formations/geology was similar to Ennedi. Good to know it is Cone Karst from the Devonian Period. 

Edited by RC88COR

ENNEDI - DAY 4

We were heading into the Guelta d'Archei today, and I could not wait! The Archei had taken on mythic proportions in my mind over the last few years, and now I could see it, but we had to wait a bit as there was a specific entry order. First the goats and sheep, then the camels, then the tourists. I waited this long, I could manage to wait a bit longer. 

It was early morning, and we had about 1.5 hours before we would be able to enter the Archei, so we went to see another cave painting site that was nearby. Then we headed into the Guelta d'Archei and climbed up into a rock face with more cave paintings and a great view. 

My photos of the Guelta d'Archei will be in the next post.

DSCN1315.JPG

DSCN1316.JPG

thumbnail_20200225_073839.jpg

thumbnail_20200225_073844.jpg

DSCN1326.JPG

DSCN1332.JPG

DSCN1335.JPG

DSCN1344.JPG

DSCN1345.JPG

DSCN1347.JPG

DSCN1354.JPG

DSCN1369.JPG

DSCN1374.JPG

DSCN1379.JPG

DSCN1383.JPG

DSCN1411.JPG

DSCN1391.JPG

DSCN1389.JPG

DSCN1394.JPG

DSCN1406.JPG

ENNEDI - DAY 4 - continued

Guelta d'Archei

We walked deep into the Guelta d'Archei. I was awestruck!

We did not see the crocodiles. 

Love the camels - they have so much character.

I will let the photos speak for themselves - 2 batches.

DSCN1416.JPG

DSCN1419.JPG

DSCN1423.JPG

DSCN1425.JPG

DSCN1427.JPG

DSCN1441.JPG

DSCN1445.JPG

DSCN1451.JPG

DSCN1452.JPG

thumbnail_20200225_084408_HDR.jpg

DSCN1460.JPG

DSCN1461.JPG

DSCN1472.JPG

DSCN1473.JPG

DSCN1474.JPG

DSCN1475.JPG

DSCN1476.JPG

DSCN1478.JPG

DSCN1482.JPG

DSCN1483.JPG

DSCN1484.JPG

Edited by RC88COR

Guelta d'Archei 

And here is the second batch of Guelta d'Archei photos.

thumbnail_20200225_090055_HDR.jpg

DSCN1485.JPG

DSCN1486.JPG

DSCN1488.JPG

DSCN1492.JPG

DSCN1494.JPG

DSCN1495.JPG

DSCN1496.JPG

DSCN1497.JPG

DSCN1498.JPG

DSCN1499.JPG

DSCN1500.JPG

DSCN1501.JPG

DSCN1506.JPG

DSCN1510.JPG

DSCN1513.JPG

DSCN1514.JPG

DSCN1518.JPG

DSCN1525.JPG

After the Guelta d'Archei we continued onwards stopping at a water well with lots of cattle, camels, donkeys, sheep and goats quenching their thirst. Then we stopped at two different cave painting areas that were remarkable. And yes, those are giraffes painted onto the cave walls. 

DSCN1541.JPG

DSCN1543.JPG

DSCN1545.JPG

DSCN1537.JPG

DSCN1540.JPG

DSCN1558.JPG

DSCN1559.JPG

DSCN1563.JPG

DSCN1566.JPG

DSCN1575.JPG

DSCN1583.JPG

DSCN1580.JPG

DSCN1587.JPG

DSCN1592.JPG

DSCN1650.JPG

DSCN1598.JPG

DSCN1601.JPG

DSCN1609.JPG

DSCN1622.JPG

DSCN1630.JPG

DSCN1631.JPG

DSCN1641.JPG

Edited by RC88COR

Super site, Gueita d'Archei, Bachikele and Aloba arch are definitely outstanding!

I am wondering why you did not climb up to have the eagle viewpoint on the Gueita d'Archei, and only stayed at the ground level. Is it now forbidden to go up?

There is wildlife, but it is very hard to spot it. Fennec are there, dorcas gazelles too. But Addax and dama gazelles, as well as Scimitar horned oryx is not present in the Ennedi natural and cultural reserve. The project is now focusing on the red necked ostrich reintroduction (well it must rather be a reinforcement as pug marks where seen in the North East of the area recently). I guess they will then work with the OROAGR to bring back antelopes, and will eventually, probably after a decade, to reintroduce saharan cheetahs if local population engagement is in favor of such a move.

gatoratlarge

I continue to be mesmerized @RC88COR!!!  Such surreal beauty!  I am curious about the crocodiles...I know there are only four left and all female so African Parks is looking into perhaps adding a male western nile croc?  Are they in a certain spot usually?  Go into caves?  Just wonder if they gave any explanations about them...

I have two spots I'm trying to fill for this trip so PM me if anyone is interested...I'm more excited  than ever with this trip report!  Just amazing!!!