This is not a Big Year - Pedro´s 2021

pedro maia

Well done on the SIE! I understand your disappointment, but: you SAW it - and that's worth a lot more than a photograph.

Keep it in your heart.

happens to me all the time, such that Ive given up on BIFs most of the time because i know what the results will be!

and i don't think your first photo is as bad as you thought!

Edited by Kitsafari

• 2 weeks later...

After all it seems that there is something good left for this year, me and my wife just received the results of our PCR tests, both negative, and tomorrow we will go on a last minute one week trip to Pantanal, when I was there in 2013 I was not so interested in birds - although it´s a place where you can avoid to appreciate the birds, so let´s see what can I see a photograph there this time.

I will pay a very high price in terms of work when we get back but...

Who cares :lol:

36 minutes ago, pedro maia said:

After all it seems that there is something good left for this year, me and my wife just received the results of our PCR tests, both negative, and tomorrow we will go on a last minute one week trip to Pantanal, when I was there in 2013 I was not so interested in birds - although it´s a place where you can avoid to appreciate the birds, so let´s see what can I see a photograph there this time.

Have a great trip. Pantanal is high on my list of places to visit

Have a great trip and come back safe. Work is a four letter word!

Kalaharikind

Great news - have fun, take lots of pictures, come back safely and tell us all about it!

Have a fantastic trip Pedro - go make us all jealous! :)

That sounds, fantastic, Pedro! Have a great time and come back with lots of photos to show us!

Dave Williams

Enjoy! You have to take it while you can is the moral of the story of what has been the last two years.

@pedro maia

3 hours ago, pedro maia said:

I don't anymore as you know;) but I wish you and your wife a fabulous trip to what outside Africa might be my favorite destination !

Have a great trip, what a treat 

Hope you are having the time of your life! pantanal is a very distant dream for me. 

On 10/1/2021 at 5:46 PM, pedro maia said:

and tomorrow we will go on a last minute one week trip to Pantanal,

I am speechless. I hope you both enjoy it immensely

It’s over, we’re at the airport waiting for the plane back home, we had an absolutely amazing vacation, we just forgot about covd and everything else and besides everything else we had the sighting of our life (so far, but It may just end like that:P) but that will have to wait for the trip report, and that may take some time.

So good to hear that you had an amazing g time! I am really looking forward to photos and report, especially after this teaser! 

5 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

So good to hear that you had an amazing g time! I am really looking forward to photos and report, especially after this teaser! 

How about you Peter, you’re back from your trip, Portugal included?

Welcome home. How about a rush shot of the teaser just to keep us calm?

Welcome back Pedro, glad to hear you had such a good time - well deserved. Looking forward to seeing your pictures! 

32 minutes ago, Galana said:

Welcome home. How about a rush shot of the teaser just to keep us calm?

Fair enough, here’s your rush shot:

044EEEB7-3EB9-4FD1-A48A-DD65EC181FDA.jpeg.0f06fe0130f37184123138b5e3f17d68.jpeg

@pedro maia

As I said before I am looking forward to this TR from one of my absolute dream destinations ; welcome back !

7 minutes ago, BRACQUENE said:

@pedro maia

As I said before I am looking forward to this TR from one of my absolute dream destinations ; welcome back !

Thanks, Pantanal was already one of my favourite places, now it’s just even more favourite, if you can say something like that :D.

23 hours ago, pedro maia said:

How about you Peter, you’re back from your trip, Portugal included?

Not back yet, unfortunately ;). Yes, southern Portugal was included, where we shared some pleasant birding hours with @michael-ibk and @AndMic

welcome back and with that rush shot ( i think i've made it out - what a sighting!) - you'd better get cracking on the TR first before you fill up your BY!! :o:lol:

As I said in the beginning I won´t be doing a count for 2021 but the trip to Pantanal deserves a Big Trip count on it´s own.

In the first day I had a problem, around 4:00 pm the sd card wasn´t working anymore and I couldn´t see any of the pictures taken so far, right now I´m still waiting for news from the shop here but all those pictures are probably lost, I remember at least a couple of species I didn´t get to see again but there may be a few more, anyway, I still have to consider myself lucky that it happened in the first day, from then on I copied the pictures I took to the laptop at least twice a day.

And, as usual, I struggled with the camera settings, BIF´s are still a big challenge for me, also low light pictures early morning and at dusk, and sometimes I simply forgot to change settings.

But enough of complaining and let´s start with my Pantanal Big Trip count:

#1, Great Rhea

139982215_IMG_1393Greaterrhea.jpg.00031aebe029c1357fb7f5ace6f45063.jpg

1230465930_IMG_1394Greaterrhea.jpg.27706e87e54fce5505fc739aaaf2a410.jpg