Garden bird photography – setting up perches

Soukous

presenter Mark Carwardine discusses how to set up perches and take brilliant photos of garden birds in this short expert masterclass.

Zoologist Mark Carwardine is a widely published wildlife photographer, an award-winning writer, a TV and radio presenter, a best-selling author of more than 50 books, and an outspoken environmentalist.

https://www.discoverwildlife.com/how-to/photograph-wildlife/photography-masterclass/episode-seven-garden-bird-photography-setting-up-perches/

Tom Kellie

~ @Soukous

Thank you for posting this link and information.

Garden bird photography is especially rewarding when travel options are limited.

Tom K.

offshorebirder

I had to stop watching it - the guy was so clueless about squirrel prevention that I don't trust anything he says.

19 hours ago, offshorebirder said:

I had to stop watching it - the guy was so clueless about squirrel prevention that I don't trust anything he says.

Jeez Nate you're a tough audience. He's just telling you what worked for him. UK squirrels aren't allowed to carry guns. :ph34r:

kittykat23uk
1 hour ago, Soukous said:

Jeez Nate you're a tough audience. He's just telling you what worked for him. UK squirrels aren't allowed to carry guns. :ph34r:

:lol::lol::lol:

offshorebirder
5 hours ago, Soukous said:

He's just telling you what worked for him.

What worked for him:  a vastly overcomplicated kludgey contraption - practically a Rube Goldberg device.   

12 hours ago, offshorebirder said:

What worked for him:  a vastly overcomplicated kludgey contraption - practically a Rube Goldberg device.   

yes, that is it. :D 

14 hours ago, offshorebirder said:

In defence of Mark Cawardine, the whole point, is that what I presume you are referring to as the overcomplicated kludgey contraption, didn't work at all, that's what he was explaining, what did work was just a simple plastic dome on the pole. At one point it did look like he was going to attach the perch to another pole close to the feeder, if you were doing that you'd need another dome on that pole, to stop them climbing it and jumping off your perch onto the feeder. 

Thwarting squirrels can be quite difficult, or even Mission Impossible you might say.

I confess I wasn't familiar with Rube Golberg, on this side of the Pond we are more familiar with his British counterpart our own Heath Robinson, one of the inspirations for Britain's greatest inventor Wallace