Mala Mala - Sabi Sands - SouthAfrica - June 2021

TravelMore

Excellent Sightings, @TravelMore! I love the video with Hyena :-) And I am looking forward for the next leopard video (very curious about the sound.. can't wait.. ;-)

Thank you!

TravelMore

Thanks @ElenaHUpon listening to the video, it's not quite as impressive as I remember it.  Maybe it's the camera microphone.  At least the video shows more of the leopard's elegant movement. 

But anyway, it's honey badger 1  : Leopard 0

I actually could have shortened this video by a few seconds but when I've tried it before in photoshop, the resulting video doesn't seem to have the same quality.  If anyone knows how to easily trim, maybe you can enlighten me??  I'd appreciate the help. :rolleyes:

Edited by TravelMore

@TravelMore, it is quite impressive! Don't mess with honey budger! :lol: it is absolutely fearless animal. 

Ref. trimming videos: you need to have at least some software for this. Mac comes with iMovie and I assume there is something free of charge for PC as well.  There are also some free software programmes on the markt. If you have Adobe abonement then you can use Premiere Rush.

The quality of the video depends on how you export it.  Maybe you compress it by export after trimming and don't know about it (about settings). Check your export settings. 

18 hours ago, TravelMore said:

Thanks @ElenaHUpon listening to the video, it's not quite as impressive as I remember it.  Maybe it's the camera microphone.  At least the video shows more of the leopard's elegant movement. 

But anyway, it's honey badger 1  : Leopard 0

I actually could have shortened this video by a few seconds but when I've tried it before in photoshop, the resulting video doesn't seem to have the same quality.  If anyone knows how to easily trim, maybe you can enlighten me??  I'd appreciate the help. :rolleyes:

Great video! You might not see the honeybadger, but you definitely can hear it. Your memories probably are influenced by live witnessing it and the excitement that comes along as well. I had the volume all the way up and thought it was impressive!

For editting: I usually use Adobe Premiere. Pro=subscription per month/year or Elements=one time fee. I'll be happy to trim it for you. I think Adobe Premiere Pro can be used 1 month for free and you can cancel it within that month. Another option might be Davinci Resolve. Haven't used their software yet, but they have a free version as well which I hear is pretty good.

On 6/30/2021 at 10:20 PM, ElenaH said:

Excellent Sightings, @TravelMore! I love the video with Hyena :-) And I am looking forward for the next leopard video (very curious about the sound.. can't wait.. ;-)

Thank you!

I was very happy with the hyena as well, nice capture on video! Somehow I like to see them especially in the spotlight when it's dark, seems to make them stand out better. :) Just yesterday during lunch with co-workers I had to stand up for hyena's as others found them disgusting animals. I don't think I convinced them to think otherwise, hyena's should be more appreciated!

Enjoying your contributions @TravelMore and looks like you enjoyed your trip a lot!

TravelMore
4 hours ago, LarsS said:

I was very happy with the hyena as well, nice capture on video! Somehow I like to see them especially in the spotlight when it's dark, seems to make them stand out better. :) Just yesterday during lunch with co-workers I had to stand up for hyena's as others found them disgusting animals. I don't think I convinced them to think otherwise, hyena's should be more appreciated!

Enjoying your contributions @TravelMore and looks like you enjoyed your trip a lot!

@LarsSand @ElenaHThanks for your kind words!  So really funny hyena story.  Of course no picture, it's kinda like "the one that got away" type of fish story.  We were searching for a leopard.  Our guide jumped out of the truck and went off a ways down the road tracking to figure it out.  He had left the vehicle, kind of in the middle of a 3 point turn so we were actually pointing at the bush.  Lo and behold what pops out in a beautifully framed opening:  A hyena with a piece of a kill in it's mouth.  He saw us and screeched to a halt, standing proud with it's chest out.  He belonged on a high outcrop standing and surveying land below.  But instead, it looked like he was thinking the same thing we were thinking "WHOAA, what are YOU doing here!"   Hysterical.  No one had a camera ready.  By the time we all dived for our cameras, the hyena had started to move off.  I have to admit, this time around we saw the most beautiful hyenas.  They are not usually my favorites (just the little ones), but on this visit, perhaps they were all well fed, and their coats were beautiful.  I will have a few close ups later.  

Sorry the report is slow.  I'm visiting family in STL and working, trying to plan house renovations and make medical checkups all happen during the summer.  It will get there.  Thanks you so much for reading and allowing me to share.  I get to hold the vaca in my heart so much longer.

@LarsSthanks for the editing tips!  I'll try looking at some of those to see if I can figure them out. =)

Edited by TravelMore

I loved the sound of your latest video. I turned it all the way up and it was like I was there with you!

I definitely wouldn't want to have got on the wrong side of that badger. :lol:

woah i loved that sound of the honey badger telling the leopard "just make my day!" and not surprisingly, the leopard was smart enough to walk away! awesome sighting. 

offshorebirder

What an amazing encounter with the Leopard and Honey Badger @TravelMore!   And you got it on film as well.    

Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Really nice report so far! Triple cheetahs on the very first game drive would be hard to top. The short video format of your posts is also especially immersive.

Do you mind if I ask about how you arranged an outgoing PCR test when you left the country? Just looking at options and costs. Feel free to PM me if you prefer.