Mammal Big Day - A record broken and a landscape in need of attention

Zarek Cockar

Zarek Cockar

881093256_Red-tailedMonkey.jpg.8583f277251faadcf7b8a304904d2ae3.jpg

On October 1st, 2021, a friend of mine (Stratton Hatfield) and I commenced a mammal big day across the Mara-Loita-Nguruman landscape of Southern Kenya, covering roughly 100 Nautical Miles (1 'minute' of latitute).  Our primary purpose was to showcase the immense diversity this region has to offer and to try to shed light on some of the conservation challenges this area faces.  What we didn't necessarily anticipate would be our ability to match and beat the Mammal Big Day world record set in February 2019 in the greater Tarangire Ecosystem of Tanzania. This we did, by 2 species - but although we were utterly thrilled to have done so,  we're confident that with some better planning in the future, we can do much better.

I'd like to stress that we were not trying to beat the world record. I hope the way I've written the report is evidence of our goal - to shed light on this precious extended ecosystem and the challenges it currently faces.

You can access the report here:  https://www.mammalwatching.com/wp-content/uploads/Mammal-Big-Day-Report.pdf

And here's a video: 

Edited by Zarek Cockar
Botswanadreams

Congratulation Zarek. 

Pictus Safaris

Very impressive Zarek, and lovely to see Stratton at it too. I'm sure this is a record you'll extend once more before too long.

TonyQ

Well done!

janzin

Very cool!  But, the link to the full report isn't working, it just takes me to the shorturl page.  I'd like to read the full report!

Zarek Cockar
5 hours ago, janzin said:

Very cool!  But, the link to the full report isn't working, it just takes me to the shorturl page.  I'd like to read the full report!

New link should now work.  Thanks!

Kitsafari

the link works well. and really fun to read about it.  @Zarek Cockar i look forward to the next record busting day too!

ForWildlife

Initially I thought: Cool! But not sure how I feel about setting such a record, claiming to draw attention to conservation, but doing so while flying around in a helicopter to find animals.

offshorebirder

Incredible accomplishment @Zarek Cockar - congratulations to you and Stratton.     I think covering 100+ nautical miles in the Mara-Loita area in a day is also quite a feat (ultimate African massage).

janzin

Thanks, it works now! Fascinating and when I'm in the Mara next (February!) I will be sure to pay more attention to the little critters. Very surprised though that you missed leopard!