Pedro´s Big New Year

pedro maia

#78, Green-winged Saltator (Saltator similis)

96060850_78-Trincaferro.jpg.9212e7c807d1123e152226b8d221edc4.jpg

#79, Saffron Finch (Sicalis flaveola)

32156679_79-Canriodaterra.jpg.81d125c01707b2b16da2eae586bbc98c.jpg

#80, House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)

1185625945_80-Pardal.jpg.f527bab96aaf717015d9b4bc98586b36.jpg

#81, Violaceous Euphonia (Euphonia violacea)

1325489485_81-Gaturamoverdadeiro.jpg.521712478f1d56171c8431fffcc26ae9.jpg

#82, Purple-throated Euphonia (Euphonia chlorotica)

1452422672_82-FimfimM.jpg.8cb79e186ac63ae9ba89b5db854e8b16.jpg

Male

612957277_82-FimfimF.jpg.216b9d5dfe685c2a3abaa0c79b92d223.jpg

Female

#83, Campo Troupial (Icterus jamacaii)

836811019_83-Corrupio.jpg.03d593498de903c21d8103d02ffa2dfb.jpg

And that´s it, it took me 4 months to upload the species from our Brazil trip, not bad:D.

The count from Portugal is also closed, I didn´t get even close to my goal of 50 new species, but it was doable, I just dind´t feel like going where I needed to go to try to find the birds.

Tuesaday I´m off to Canada but birding will be absolutely marginal, I will only take a small camera just in case, but I doubt I will see more than a couple of species I didn´t see in Cape Cod, and also the weather won´t be very birding friendly.

You finish with a spectacular- looking bird! I hope you’ll enjoy your Canada trip even when it won’t produce many new birds. I am looking forward to some polar bear shots, though.

2 hours ago, PeterHG said:

You finish with a spectacular- looking bird! I hope you’ll enjoy your Canada trip even when it won’t produce many new birds. I am looking forward to some polar bear shots, though.

There won’t be polar bears, it’s going to be an urban trip in Quebec.

46 minutes ago, pedro maia said:

Wishing you a snow owl which will be perfect to begin your BY 2023! (and have a great trip meanwhile). :) 

Edited by Kitsafari

8 hours ago, pedro maia said:

I was afraid of that ;). Enjoy it anyway

A good end to your year.

Enjoy Quebec and I bet that you cannot resist at least one Canadian bird. After all, going all the way to Brazil for a House Sparow does say something about you.:P

Safe journey.

Edited by Galana

11 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

Wishing you a snow owl which will be perfect to begin your BY 2023! (and have a great trip meanwhile). :) 

Snow owl isn´t impossible, but it won´t be easy.

3 hours ago, PeterHG said:

I was afraid of that ;). Enjoy it anyway

:D

1 hour ago, Galana said:

A good end to your year.

Enjoy Quebec and I bet that you cannot resist at least one Canadian bird. After all, going all the way to Brazil for a House Sparow does say something about you.:P

Safe journey.

On my defense I ddn´t take pictures to feral pigeons in Brazil. And House sparrows are part of our cultural legacy, my ancestors took them there.

Edited by pedro maia

On 12/25/2022 at 6:34 PM, pedro maia said:

If your trip is to Montreal, and you have some free time, check out the Technoparc near the airport (https://www.technoparcoiseaux.org/?lang=en).  I haven’t kept up on the sightings lately, but last winter there were nesting Great Horned Owls, regularly seen Barred Owl(s), and several other owls seen occasionally (short-eared, long-eared, and saw-whet).  It also is adjacent to the airport, and with binoculars people were seeing several Snowies by the runways.  It’s ten minutes from where I grew up, not sure if I’ll have time to visit this year but it’s a nice walk for a few hours.

ebird entry is here: https://ebird.org/hotspot/L4886900

7 hours ago, Zubbie15 said:

If your trip is to Montreal, and you have some free time, check out the Technoparc near the airport (https://www.technoparcoiseaux.org/?lang=en).  I haven’t kept up on the sightings lately, but last winter there were nesting Great Horned Owls, regularly seen Barred Owl(s), and several other owls seen occasionally (short-eared, long-eared, and saw-whet).  It also is adjacent to the airport, and with binoculars people were seeing several Snowies by the runways.  It’s ten minutes from where I grew up, not sure if I’ll have time to visit this year but it’s a nice walk for a few hours.

ebird entry is here: https://ebird.org/hotspot/L4886900

Thanks for the tip @Zubbie15, our stay in Montreal is going to be a short one, I wont have time to go and look for the owls and I didnd’t eve bring binoculars.

Very nice collection of Tanagers and Euphonias to finish off Brazil Pedro. Enjoy your time in Canada, even though we are all positively shocked that you are not non-stop birding there. ;-)

Happy New Year!

9 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Very nice collection of Tanagers and Euphonias to finish off Brazil Pedro. Enjoy your time in Canada, even though we are all positively shocked that you are not non-stop birding there. ;-)

Happy New Year!

So far I only saw pigeons, house sparrows, crows and a few hawks from the motorway but I could’t stop to try and take pictures, don’t know which ones, so far it’s a Big Zero:P.

Dave Williams

Enjoy your trip to Canada , I hope it's not too cold. You have a few extra hours in 2022 anyway!

Happy New Year

On 12/31/2022 at 11:24 AM, Dave Williams said:

Enjoy your trip to Canada , I hope it's not too cold. You have a few extra hours in 2022 anyway!

Happy New Year

Happy New Year Dave!

It’s not too cold, on the contrary, in the last two days we had positive temperatures and rain, not what we would expect nor want for this time of the year in Quebec.

And no birds…

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on your final tally! I particularly enjoyed your Brazil list