Reach for the skies!!! My tern to fly high!

Dave Williams

Congratulations on breaking 400 and a fantastic trip. I love that part of KZN

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations on getting way beyond 400! Lots of truly excellent photos. It's good to hear about St Lucia and UMkhuze. I will certainly put them on my list again for a future trip to SA.

Just caught up with all your South African birds, Dave.  Some really beautiful pictures, and congratulations on getting past 400!

Dave Williams

The weather today was horrendous.The year is coming to an end so I decided to look what's lurking on my hard drives from earlier this year.

I can't remember where I was on March 1st!

419)Canada Goose.

52514369494_5d513494fb_b.jpgCanada Goose. BY419 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

I guess I thought I'd get a better image than this one taken from my bathroom window on the 5th January! Maybe not and so

420)Blackbird.   female

52513684067_fdeb8f2bed_b.jpgBlackbird.      BY420 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Aha, the end of year is coming! Was the bathroom window open or close 😙?

Dave Williams
7 hours ago, xelas said:

Aha, the end of year is coming! Was the bathroom window open or close 😙?

Yes, I'm grasping at anything to keep ahead of you Alex:D. Window always open when I'm in the bathroom hide! 

Dave Williams

On the way from J'berg to Kruger there is a service station called Milly's where it was the only place I saw 238)Pied Starling on both this years trip and the one in 2019 too.I was surprised @PeterHGhasn't added one from there but maybe he has a better shot up his sleeve! He did though make me aware I had not included mine so here's a late addition from South Africa...thanks to Peter!

Easy come, easy go. I just realised that I had missed out 238 so I'll shoo this one in instead.

52519800133_e8852383f4_b.jpgPied Starling.  BY422 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

but maybe he has a better shot up his sleeve

You’re welcome Dave and, no I did not see them there, maybe on account of the bad weather. I remember also seeing pearl-breasted swallows there, but not this time. 

1 hour ago, Tdgraves said:

We never stop at Milly’s (overpriced & busy) but now maybe I have a reason to

I don’t know about overpriced, but it certainly wasn’t busy when we were there. Perhaps you should give it a try next time

Dave Williams

422)Oystercatcher

One of the few shots I took with my RF800 and 1.4TC. Run through Topaz de-noise leaving it a bit soft, I wouldn't recommend using a TC with this lens to avoid higher ISO values.

The lens was stolen when we had a break-in and I wouldn't replace it although it does offer excellent value for money. It's an unnecessary addition when I have the 100-500.

52519475131_cbfdfd3711_b.jpgOystercatcher.     BY423 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

One from January, the 424)Pink-foot Goose over winters in the UK but in case I don't get to see any, as they don't often appear in North Wales.....

52520275671_b2f3ffe3e5_b.jpgPink-foot Goose.  BY424 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

On 11/23/2022 at 12:58 PM, Dave Williams said:

Yes, I'm grasping at anything to keep ahead of you Alex:D. Window always open when I'm in the bathroom hide! 

Keep them open! Although if not adding a last second trip to a birding destination you can relax, no way I will get anywhere near #400 ☹️.

Dave Williams

@TdgravesThanks. I have a couple of real horrors up my sleeve and I want to avoid using them if I can, the ones I have posted since South Africa are not too bad at all but I guess I was hoping for better. I have a Raven nesting in the garden and still haven't had a shot of it so a couple of easy species are still to be had. 

Meanwhile back to February again,

428)Pheasant

52522926134_86e6c37d66_b.jpgPheasant.  BY428 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Good to see some of your 'keepers' coming in handy to keep your numbers up.

• 3 weeks later...
Dave Williams

With the year soon to end I'm now regretting my apathy in seeking out some better photo opportunities. I never thought I could get to 500 but I am tantalisingly close and now desperately looking for a way of getting there!

429)Bullfinch

52570102297_dd3014640b_b.jpgBullfinch.         BY429 by Dave Williams, on Flickr