Sharing a campsite with lions (Botswana, Zimbabwe, September-October 2021)

ElenaH

thank you, @Biko!

yes, it was very adventurous, indeed.

On 2/13/2023 at 1:03 AM, TonyQ said:

@ElenaHbeautiful photos and good practical details 

Agree. Lots of variety, love the landscapes, and this caption: 

The sun is still low. The red dust creates a mystic atmosphere.

Edited by John M.

9 hours ago, John M. said:

Agree. Lots of variety, love the landscapes, and this caption

Thank you very much! 

2 hours ago, Athene said:

very useful information and exceptionally beautiful pictures

Thank you, very appreciated! 

10.10.2021 A big surprise.

image.jpeg.ba8f1b56bff7cfd42b7dc51600128509.jpeg

After four restful nights in Mabuasehube, we decided to leave. We actually booked five nights but after calling to PCR Test Center we realised that we would not have enough time to get the test result before the flight. It was already about two o’clock as we packed our stuff and left the campsite. We were definitely late to get to Gaborone and hoped to find something on the way. 

The sun was standing low when we hit the main road from West to East. There were a lot of animals on the road and along the road and despite fires and burnt grass it was beautiful. I remember how Hans told me that there were more animals than in the park. We were driving fast as I noticed something colourful moving along the road.

image.jpeg.afe00d3d9a6c2cd9e3e4c3fa2d86cea2.jpeg

image.jpeg.a7a491476fbccc1b9e4ab74052e1fb79.jpeg

Wild Dogs! A very healthy pack with puppies! It was a huge surprise to see them here, in such harsh condition of Kgalagadi. On the other hand we saw about 50 steenboks on the way ;-)

image.jpeg.bd737b4aec315d1150bb0655d9380d69.jpeg

They were looking great! They were also not shy but rather curious. The setting sun made the pictures even more great. We were desperately loosing the time and would drive that sandy road in darkness but it was a once-in-a-time opportunity to see those predators at sunset. 

image.jpeg.cf704371ffaef3ba58d6a74fc5b218e0.jpeg

image.jpeg.b1b5e77c3c47204101850be6d2081986.jpeg

image.jpeg.f11452606cb4a8c206f8eb49826bb3c7.jpeg

image.jpeg.7d3926908ee5810dad3288a35a9f0569.jpeg

Our route with marked waay point where we met the dogs. Quite far away from the park!!

image.png.70771c370e1267261193b1a7b4538204.png

image.jpeg.bd298918a8f19f490c8b97705edaa341.jpeg

image.jpeg.a92b1766f5476e6ffaa43e24ac0ba2d2.jpeg

Somehow we got to the tar road. It was already dark. I was browsing the map in search for some accommodation. And in Sekoma I saw „Sekoma Pan Executive Suites“ and immediately call there. Nobody answered, and I already thought that we needed to proceed to Jwaneng. But then they called me back! And our stay was confirmed.
How executive the suites were you can see. But at nine in the evening in Botswana darkness each place for us had been executive!

image.jpeg.06a1d2041b6ca69307cc8318a3f472ad.jpeg

image.jpeg.dc2ca9b341a686a74bff17e04f5d781b.jpeg

image.jpeg.22d9888e31d40242d75bf8cdcf6051ed.jpeg

This is an innovative eco-solution for the outflow. Don’t laugh! My mother would find it good. Especially in the desert condition.
image.jpeg.48113abf08af8182190fa98bf0b4fa59.jpeg

I thought about our lions… Today they are alone in our campsite and there is nobody to be scared and having a sleepless night.

image.jpeg.654f7ddee444d815e7d552021cc0267d.jpeg

THE END

Edited by ElenaH

1 hour ago, Biko said:

Brilliant sighting and pictures of the dogs. How lucky you were!

That's true! Especially in Kgalagadi to see the dogs was a big surprise! at least for me. I can imagine to be lucky to see the dogs in Moremi, Khwai or Savuti. But in Mabuasehube! That was something! And they looked very good and healthy! I worry that they are running so far away from the park and can come to areas with life stock and can be killed. However, wildlife areas around the park are very big, they were still in the wildlife management area. And there are a lot of steenbocks and other prey available.  Those dogs were also seen in the park. Hopefully, that Wild Dogs Project will take care about that pack.

• 1 month later...
michael-ibk

I´m late to this but what a brilliant trip. Talk about intensity, having a lion testing my tent zip would be a bit more than exciting! Really gorgeous photos all the way through - an excellent report Elena!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

If Michael was late to this awesome trip report, how about me?! By preparing for the upcoming visits to Namibia and Botswana, both self-driving events, I am scouring through Safaritalk to put myself "into the groove". And boy, your trip report did the job! And photography?! Just awesome!