Musekese 3 + Lower Zambesi

AfricIan

Part 6: Kutali Camp

The transfer to Kutali is a short boat ride & the tents are pretty much a mirror of those at Chula with the “bathroom” on the other side of the tent.  The only real differences between the two camps are the trees, with Natal Mahogany at Chula and Winter-thorn at Kutali.  In both camps, the tents have great views out over a small channel, the Zambezi to Zimbabwe.

AL9nZEXDs39DagF03-26tq2cvQ7rZycPdl6xl8_B

AL9nZEWZ0fH14fhTXTkXa8VIryklNB8r1tfdKKOO

AL9nZEVAe6b4y7YVOYbb2UxBp7EHlclN7Ra_WZx0

AL9nZEXMTEwgptIfZ2mId0yZu7FAlcdeW7pnR8Bb

We elected for a short boat ride before sundowners & dinner,

White-fronted Bee-eater

AL9nZEUp6GvuJHbwLH4zFfYsOgnVDpnJwIHTnLrt

Fascinating spiders web "complex"

AL9nZEXYce5cUxW-pD5W--66KniFtdMmjfWip8eM

Pied Kingfisher

AL9nZEWeSz25hJuq7-HJmhh_W4pkHOyCOm2_htfT

Zambezi sunset

AL9nZEVaDaYhHfN0vVYhHfvEt5FjyUI7FmJ5qTop

AL9nZEU00ZkWOXg8sIfZdqrhhcOF7x1aogVhQCSU

Next morning, after coming across a waterbuck in “normal mode” we came across a very relaxed male leopard that appeared to be contemplating whether or not to bother making an attempt on some impala across a small gully whilst behind us an African Harrier-hawk was poking about in a dead tree.

AL9nZEVx0XzBOPCTsSsIxTTKI_14IInu7AakChMu

AL9nZEWtj1pbTu-goqlG9Dok7yT7CyUTpfhJ7uZo

AL9nZEVb57iOpoV-m0Ljpc6X6nVSJ0O9V7X9vYUC

AL9nZEV5lwPDjf4biIl8sqRRA-tQwK68w2YDGDSs

AL9nZEUx6Wn3oinzPtUHg14WleUIjbTF8e7nxTgG

African Harrier-hawk (Gymnogene)

AL9nZEXx248KQJN_kT23W6qWZcQMzqe57_1AO6QC

AL9nZEU0o7ZlYL1MDcnK-5nYHd0t3LgzB8SfAOIu

AL9nZEXCnW716EcEzIgqP1uENLN1SriodFiNNOmu

AL9nZEXh170IewGzPr2kp2gIPq0VLPit-3dtROMP

AL9nZEXNxEA9ZtFVr1kRwN_9wIXJ4mt6r2WWejUO

AL9nZEXTgP_sl-erGKQbku0qnauIpphRUSQ9lQSr

AL9nZEXJCmWoDphHYEXVx3fTSSyVJhmAwvqeSai1

Senegal Coucal

AL9nZEXxRvAvCFw89alyXCd9meOtTsRub1QlUs3V

Once the leopard had headed down into the gully, we moved up onto the plain for coffee & a lone jackal

AL9nZEW9xMKLe71OoyU2kyPAuKN43IqOxBFxE0HD

when Wilton got a call from Josh in a Chula vehicle to say that some lions had got a buffalo so we jumped back in the vehicle and after a couple of false turns arrived to find 4 young lions with an old “Dagga boy”. 

AL9nZEWUEC-aMjKpyDaNcxt1jvAZJUXIdXoy8gy6

This wasn’t a particularly pleasant watch as the buffalo had a broken rear leg and the lions, which appeared to be well-fed, seem to be aware that the buffalo wasn’t going anywhere and were content to make occasional half-hearted attempts on the rear of the buffalo, weaken it and wait for nature to take its course.

AL9nZEXUysU9D7Q81rJQvH9Glw_ZDMY03WuAEuBj

AL9nZEXw-ahGAecl_7qvDfm6JOAbZRYY7qLfubgX

AL9nZEXo1lM95bWDrPH5_dRuftUdtS3S3Fl-ugRt

AL9nZEXlf8yMIv6a-syrXsj2XCsO_DRdibq-7dDH

AL9nZEVdAw8nST8gRf1rHWb9m0B4xM3egwJQvzvY

AL9nZEXi1xV_upBnfUjZZ7N3Sp3XpRERcNT6n8uo

As we headed back for lunch, a lone ele made a nice reflection in a channel, a couple of red-billed hornbill & starlings were tucking into some termites and a pair of White Helmetshrikes were also looking for lunch.

AL9nZEXZu-S01C6jfogW-AbuO95cPytk_zhNqkPe

Red-billed Hornbill

AL9nZEW0r9tPkov0a1xMOb2u1QpSIVY7xsccjqtH

AL9nZEWRswdLu3ufcePsiW8Wrr7OxSZ4uoOPVU9g

White Helmetshrike

AL9nZEX20UV217FbWISMX5FyEedK7ypF5laVNIHN

Next: More Kutali

Edited by AfricIan
spelling!

Oh that dog sighting! Just wonderful! And how lucky you were - a few days later and they may have moved off to the den. You really have a great collection of pics.

And the Vervet's decision making face is a picture! 

More Kutali

On 8/23/2022 at 12:34 PM, Galago said:

Oh that dog sighting! Just wonderful! And how lucky you were

Accompanying them on their hunt was a fabulous experience Annie and Given did a great job of keeping up, especially once they’d dropped off the plain & into the woodlands. Definitely Right Place, Right Time, I don’t think they were seen again before we left!

The plan for the afternoon was for Richard to take us for a leisurely canoe trip down the channels that run parallel to the main Zambezi. This is a definite lazy option as you just sit back & enjoy the ride although being in the 2nd canoe meant that most of the wildlife had been scared off before I could get a semi-decent photograph :(

Why is Richard the only happy canoeist?

AL9nZEWITHA8P-uy02OxAcfiDE9usfz4Dp0GyB6K

Pied Wagtail

AL9nZEULx5iy8iO8FnU03U2yr1eSiaRIcGnRF8dk

AL9nZEXlG0X01tZiDYojdT3P1P6P16q9FqHdBJrc

AL9nZEUHBd1OGBk1Ikrogmq-zQGuPa3Zq9oKCbnB

Don't think about coming down our channel!!

AL9nZEUeg-PT78eh0sIQ-elTk6PM8yFer3zOByoz

AL9nZEUsNmwdq8lvQM5IaAz41PghBGgHeGA8KrPK

AL9nZEVex_fnH3l-Z_IEKUTJ_JNojVB-9DSSmKgt

Black-winged Stilt

AL9nZEVFDq8u-DY4PylI07lseSUYxS0G4tWxrHc_

Don't think you're landing here, just go back the way you came!!

AL9nZEVTZt3886tP1LDR1A99-b_lGhODfH4kH02Z

Then after sundowners we headed back to the lions/buffalo where the old boy was still pitifully hanging on to life

AL9nZEV7JxnzpwYHPIgOpfieYEOmgk3Wpq9c3_tx

We didn’t hang around too long and managed to find a genet then, quite close to camp, a young female leopard that was determined not to get herself into a photo!

AL9nZEWHKkD0xqAm1XoBGbSgjWAXaOSLoNFe0Wlb

Next morning we were walking and judging from all the alarm calls, got very close to a leopard – probably the young female from the previous evening but despite Richard’s best efforts she was much quicker than we were.
AL9nZEXcHL4OyjM31KSqLKwAaBHWnzbQkzdaRWqw

Lilian's Lovebirds

AL9nZEWG-wJGA-7kIxeKJWNOBsxWpvI1JQ8FMoxu

AL9nZEV6WNUlSkMrStiAhx4fcOWEVfxkXVrow9c2

A mid afternoon “game-drive” back to Jeki, where Vernon was waiting for us,  bought our time in Lower Zambezi to an end 

AL9nZEXWxg6aZLZ0l1T-ukRrNGoNTRIAKPCGW9nB

AL9nZEVIyWMfi2RzbLVJ1i3UreG8KZf_2k-U7rzP

AL9nZEX-az7R1CZkF3NG59GoKPcvivh-uwGtsjmv

After a bit of a scare at KKIA check-in when son’s passport wouldn’t scan we settled back to wait for our flights back to London.  Rather bizarrely, the business lounge at KKIA was very busy, in sharp contrast to the main departure areas which were almost deserted.

“Chillin” at Doha
AL9nZEUIYL9chbgS6r_Bq5G_nBeV61BU5Ht4IcR4

In summary then, another great trip courtesy of Busanga Safaris, the “Classic Zambia” combo worked very well and the “one shop” nature of the booking meant things were quickly resolved when weather intervened. The one significant disappointment we had was that whilst the “Classic Zambia” marketing emphasises the “owner run” nature of the camps, only Phil was actually in camp during our stays and it was fortuitous that our paths crossed with Tyrone & Kyle on the Lupufa airstrip for an all-too-brief chat. Having said that, we couldn’t fault any of the guides we had and everyone made sure we at least tried hard to see what we wanted to see.

@wilddog, @Galago@Zim Girl, @CaroleE, @Seniortraveller -  have a fabulous time at Musekese and finally, a big thank-you to everyone who’s made it through to the end :)

Edited by AfricIan
Airport code correction

Thank you for an excellent report. The camps look like they make a really good combination 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the TR Ian, really enjoyed it. Your comment about 'owner run' but owner not very present is interesting. That was my experience last time (2018) and I'd assumed it was just my timing but.....

Two weeks today I'll be half way through the first of three flights on the way to the Kafue - yippee!

On 9/2/2022 at 7:25 PM, Galago said:

That was my experience last time (2018) and I'd assumed it was just my timing but.....

Interesting indeed Annie, was 2018 at Musekese, Tusk & Mane or elsewhere?  Perhaps we've been spoilt on previous visits to Musekese when we've had Phil guiding us (just the two for our first visit when we "went mobile" upto the Busanga Plains) and again in 2018.  This time around, although he didn't guide us, Phil was in camp for 3 1\2 of our 5 days and happy to take us for a tour of their solar power systems.  The "absence" of either of the owners was much more noticeable in Lower Zambezi where there did seem to be a certain "lack of direction" and it was something we fed back to Lesley when we had an after-trip zoom chat.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip, whoever your guide is and please give our regards to Phil, Tyrone, Gilly, Roy and, of course, Tony if he's there.

It was at Musekese, Ian.  I will certainly pass on your good wishes. Am hoping to catch Tony at Busanga.  12 more sleeps + a sleepless one in the air #countingthedays!

On 8/23/2022 at 3:53 PM, AfricIan said:

@wilddog, @Galago@Zim Girl, @CaroleE, @Seniortraveller -  have a fabulous time at Musekese

Thank you! Not very long to go now. 5 work days (I don't count days off and weekends, makes it seem even shorter:))

You had a fantastic time in the Lower Zanbezi. Maybe next visit I can combine this with the Kafue. I like the camp set ups.

What terrific wild dogs sightings! 

''What to do in the afternoon was quickly resolved – back to the dogs!'' Was there really any other choice!

Many thanks for the trip report. So pleased you and your family had a great trip.

We were also at Musekese in 2018 and had the same situation, not so good.  So, for those of you going soon hope your guiding and sightings are fabulous!

Aweseome report Ian, thank you for sharing. Outstanding sightings, especially swimming Puffy, the Serval and the Buffalo drama. Really love the photo of Lions, Buffalo and Elephant in the background, great stuff! Lower Zambezi is still on my list - next time!

23 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Really love the photo of Lions, Buffalo and Elephant in the background

Thanks Michael, we thoroughly enjoyed the trip - the elephant "photobombing" the lion/buffalo was fascinating as we could see the elephant approaching and were wondering what would happen, especially as the female was at the top of the bank when we first noticed the ele.

DSC_7293.jpg.d1ab0bf9921d193519dc430af9a47c3a.jpg 

As the ele got closer the lioness dropped down into the gulley & the ele ambled closer before appearing to be taken by surprise when it spotted what was going on

AL9nZEXlf8yMIv6a-syrXsj2XCsO_DRdibq-7dDH

Before making a sharp right turn and moving quite quickly off

DSC_7298.jpg.c44724ab17cadd18b9b835f44e1fafe7.jpg

Make sure you do get to Lower Zambezi & I hope your sightings are as good as ours were

• 4 weeks later...
gatoratlarge

Wow!  Great safari!  Love the "little" things, servals, porcupines...the puff adder...and what drama!  The lions and the buff and the elephant interloper!