Bush dog

You were spoiled with all your sightings @Bush dog October seems to be the best time to visit Hwange. We had good sightings in August and visited most of the places you have been to, but we did not see half as much as you did except elephants. Beautiful photos and a very informative trip report.

I much enjoyed this fascinating report with your beautiful photos.

Many thanks @Bush dog

Departing with the first rains, you hit the concentrated wildlife jackpot with your timing.  Great report!  Thanks. More of us will be thinking Hwange in October.

• 3 weeks later...
vikramghanekar

Fantastic trip report and lovely photographs.

Hwange has been on the cards for me for a long time. 

May be this year in October!

Cheers

Vikram

well i'm relieved that @vikramghanekar brought this TR back to the top or else I would have missed the last bits. 

Such an enjoyable report, which makes me want to put hwange back in my (long) list again. Thanks for sharing all the info and beautiful photos @Bush dog

@Kitsafari

@vikramghanekar

Thanks a lot for your interest in this report.  Hwange during the period September/October is definitely the place to go if you are interested in large animal concentrations and especially elephants, buffaloes and lions.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing sightings, @Bush dogand very lovely stay in Hwange! 

Very interesting and  trip-report, I enjoyed it and regrettet it was over ;) You need to stay longer next time B)

51 lions! WOW. Your trip was very deversified as well. Especially taking in account you were there only 8 nights.

I've never seen Shumba like that by the way.

As I was in Robins in 2021 I also had an impression that here were more wildlife in Robins areay than in 2015. And somehow it was easier to see lions IMO.

I will be be in Mana and Hwange next September/October. 

On 1/4/2023 at 3:01 AM, KaliCA said:

As many times as I have written to Zim Parks, they do not reply

Did you write to bookings@zimparks.org.zw? Still didn't get the reply? When are you going to Hwange?

We will be there 29.09-09.10.2023. I can ask a friend from Wild Dogs Project or Godfrey, a ranger from Masuma to help with bookings if you still don't have some.

I think, the best hide/picnic site is Ngweschla. At least it was so. However, Masuma and Shumba can be also good.  The lions are often near by. 

You can book a Zim Parks Ranger at Sinamatella or Main Camp and walk with him/her everywhere. We often do so and actually they are allowed to go/drive on the roads which are closed for lodges (anti-poaching unit roads) I think a ranger for a day is 50 or 55 USD (there are official rates in Zimparks website). Last time we had Godfrey who is normally taking care about the guests in Masuma. We were staying in Kapula South Camp and he was staying with the stuff in Kapula. I think we payed 25 or 30USD for his stay and food there. And we had a private guide, so to say ;-) If you stay in the picnic site the ranger can stay there in the stuff house or in the tent. They have their own tents. There is no need to mention that they know a lot about resident animals. 

Thanks for that useful information, Elena. We will be in Hwange August 20-25, for 6 nights, so not at the same time as you. Looking forward to visiting a new park. 
Mana Pools is on my bucket list as well. 
enjoy!

• 1 month later...
vikramghanekar

Rereading this fabulous  TR once again.

Just out of curiosity how many of these sightings were on foot/ how much on foot tracking did you do with Julian ?

Thanks 

Vikram