PeterHG's eighth BY

PeterHG

19 hours ago, Zim Girl said:

Beautiful picture of the Tawny owl.

x2

Great slow shutterspeed kestrel shot

Thank you @Zim Girl @Kitsafari @shazdwn!

Another outing to the Arkemheen area. The sun was out, which made for a change from the past week.

24 /NL 24. Gadwall. Arkemheen, January. It blends in well with the background.

P1287547-Edit-X2.jpg

25 NL 25. European Golden Plover. Arkemheen, January. They are present in fairly large numbers, but they keep their distance mostly. It's only when the are disturbed by a passing raptor or helicopter, that they wiull fly by, allowing for some shots.

P1287611-Edit-X2.jpg

P1287567-X2.jpg

When processing the photo I noticed two Dunlins in the group. I might as well claim them now. 26 /NL 26. Dunlin

27 /NL 27. Ruff. Arkemheen, January. They will look much more attractive later on, of course.

P1287691-Edit-X2.jpg

28 NL 28. Eurasian Teal. Arkemheen, January. Small and fast flyers, they are not really easy to catch in flight.

P1287718-Edit-XL.jpg

29 / NL 29. Eurasian Wigeon. Arkemheen, January. Still present in large numbers.

P1288074-Edit-X2.jpg

30 /NL 30. Grey Heron. Arkemheen, January. In winter they are almost outnumbered by the Great White Egrets, but the balance is shifting

P1288012-Edit-X2.jpg

And a few raptors from the same trip:

31 / NL 31. Common Buzzard. Arkemheen, January

P1287882-Edit-X2.jpg

32 / NL 32. Eurasian Sparrowhawk. Arkemheen, January.

P1287653-Edit-2-XL.jpg

33 / NL 33. White-tailed Eagle. Arkemheen, January. This area is a pretty reliable spot to see the (still rare) eagle after and before the breeding season. Always far away, but with the converter attached to the lens and some nice light I was still able to come away with a shot of the hunting adult. It actually caught something, but landed out of view, so I did not find out what its prey was. The moment the eagle flies off from its perch to start hunting it causes a panic among the thousands of lapwings wigeons, plovers etc,which is always a good sign to start scanning the horizon for the raptor.

P1288116-Edit-2-X2.jpg

Stunning shot Peter!

Beautiful photos Peter, taking full advantage of the light 

Great BIF shots Peter!

Marvellous shot of the White tailed Eagle!

• 4 weeks later...

Great shots Peter! Love the Tawny Owl - still haven´t seen one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, @Peter Connan @TonyQ @pedro maia @Zim Girl @michael-ibk

Time to add some more. I've been away for three weeks on a trip to Suriname, a former colony of the Netherlands and still having strong ties with our country, due to the fact that many Surinamese moved over here during the last century. Nearly all the people we met over there had some relatives across the Atlantic and Dutch is still widely spoken. It has some 600.000 inabitants, mainly in the northern part of the country. A large percentage of Surinam is still covered in primary or secondary rainforest. At the same time we were there, @michael-ibkwas visiting the neighbouring country of Guyana. (I hope you had a great time, Michael. You certainly picked up a lot more species than we did!)

suriname-location-on-the-south-america-m

We had booked a few places to stay, planning to do some day trips to birding spots in the vicinity. We tried to do some guided birding, but Suriname only has 2 birding guides and it was impossible to book either of them. That meant trying to locate and ID birds ourselves in the dense jungle and that proved very difficult. On top of that we had rain almost every day and not the short tropical showers, but on quite a few occasions it would rain all day. The local people told us that they had never see so much rain and that certainly affected the birding, too. Temperatures, however, were great: between 25 and 30 degrees every day. 

We first stayed in Domburg, a little village some 40 kms south of the capital, Paramaribo. In de dry spells we wandered about in the gartden and some muddy footpaths behind the property. There were always quite a few birds to be found there,

The signature bird of Suriname (and perhaps of other South American countries, too) must be the Kiskadee, a fairly large flycatcher species. We saw them every day and in virtually all habitats.

34 / SU 01. Great Kiskadee. Domburg, February

IMG_4048-Edit-X2.jpg

There are a few lookalikes that could also be found there.

35 / SU 02. Lesser Kiskadee, Domburg, February. Slightly smaller with a narrower bill and a different sound

IMG_3978-Edit-X2.jpg

36 /SU 03. Rusty-margined Flycatcher. Domburg, February. Smaller than the previous two, with a shorter bill/

IMG_4030-Edit-2-X2.jpg

michael-ibk

Looking forward to your Surinam birds Peter. Very helpful to see a comparison sequence of the three lookalikes, always battled a bit with Lesser Kiskadee especially. 

Beautiful photos to start us off. I know nothing of Suriname so this will be an education!

Thank, @michael-ibk @TonyQ!

17 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

always battled a bit with Lesser Kiskadee especially. 

I did, too. I must have seen more then the one or two I ID-ed. Perhaps ypou could help me out with another lookalike. I had this one down as a Boat-billed Flycatcher, due to the size of the bill, but when I put it through Merlin, it gives Greater Kiskadee as a first and Boat billed as a second. Probably because of the rusty-coloured primaries. I am still hesitant though. The bill does look too heavy for a Kiskadee, in my view. And Merlin can be a great help, but is certainly not always right. I would appreciate your )or anyone else's take on this bird.

37 / SU 04. Boat-billed Flycatcher, Zanderij, February ( see comments below)

IMG_4217-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

michael-ibk

Boat-Billed for me with that hefty bill, although I do understand your hesitation because of the wing colour. Sorry, not much help here. :D

I go with Boat-billed too. Bill size and Culmen shape plus BB does have rusty primaries and rusty edges to wing coverts giving that scallop effect your bird has.

Thank you both for your input @Galanaand @michael-ibk, much appreciated! They confirm my own thoughts, so I’ll put it down as Boat-billed.

A few more from in and around the garden of our first accommodation:

37 / SU 05. Common Tody Flycatcher. Domburg, February.  The Tody-Flycatchers are tiny, with rather oversized heads. There were two different species present.

P2088199-Edit-X2.jpg

38 / SU 06. Spotted Tody Flycatcher. Domburg, February. Our absolute favourite in the garden. On rainy days (and there were plenty of those) it would come to cheer us up and it was not shy at all. A lifer, too.

IMG_4092-Edit-X2.jpg

And another lifer we saw quite regulary along the creek behind the property.

39 / SU 7. Black-capped Donacobius. Domburg, February

IMG_3974-X2.jpg

Not only birds in the garden. We saw the charming Squirrel Monkeys a few times there, too.

IMG_3980-X2.jpg

In the puddles on the dirt tracks we would sometimes find a wader.

40 / SU 08. Solitary Sandpiper. Domburg, February,

IMG_4005-Edit-X2.jpg

Thank you, @TonyQ!

41 / SU 09. Blue-black Grassquit. Domburg, February. Common and seen almost daily. They are small, often moving about in the grass and usually look completely black. Bu the blue is definitely there.

IMG_4006-Edit-X2.jpg

42 / SU 10. Silver-beaked Tanager. Domburg, February. A lifer and a beautiful one at that. Also quite common.

IMG_4016-Edit-X2.jpg

43 / SU 11. Pied Water Tyrant. Domburg, February. Seen almost daily. Often at the water's edge, where it was hard to miss with its black and white outfit.

IMG_4026-X2.jpg

The last three were quite approachable. but that didn't go for this one. Only seen twice and both times flying away from us at a distance. This time it fortunately landed in a tree. Far away, but good enough to take a shot and confirm the ID.

44 / SU 12.  Ringed Kingfisher. Domburg, February.

P2098461-Edit-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Stellar pictures Peter ; I am impressed not in the least by the Ringed Kingfisher !!

Peter Connan

Really beautiful pictures Peter!

Well done. Some lovely portraits there.

Great Tanager.

Thamk you @BRACQUENE @Peter Connan @Galana

45 / SU 13. Blood-coloured Woodpecker. Domburg, February. Not 'red-backed', but 'blood-coloured'. That definitely added to the thrill ofseeing a lifer.

IMG_4046-Edit-X2.jpg

46 / SU 14. Yellow-crowned Tyrannulet. Domburg, February.

P2098491-Edit-X2.jpg

47 /SU 15. Spotted Sandpiper. Domburg, February. No spots to be seen now. We saw them frequently, mostly just one or two.

IMG_4064-XL.jpg

48 /SU 16. Barred Seedeater. Domburg, February. Very common in most regions we visited.

IMG_4070-Edit-X2.jpg

49 /SU 17. Grey-lined Hawk. Domburg, Suriname. Seen only once. Another lifer.

P2098658-X2.jpg

50 /SU 18. Swallow-tailed Kite. Domburg, February. We only saw one, but at least it showed very well.

IMG_4076-X2.jpg

IMG_4074-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

michael-ibk

Beautiful, especially the Swallow-Tailed. They are such graceful raptors. Agree about the Woodpecker, the name makes it so much cooler. :D

51 / SU 19. Palm Tanager. Domburg, February. Common in all regions.

IMG_4086-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

52 / SU 20. Striated Heron. Domburg, February. 

IMG_4129-Edit-X2.jpg

53 / SU 21. Buff-throated Saltator. Domburg, February. Only seen once, in the garden of our accommodation

IMG_4135-Edit-X2.jpg

54 / SU 22. Red-shouldered Macaw. Cola Creek, February. A recreation area, about 40 minutes' drive away. It can be quite busy in the weekends, but it was extremely quiet on the weekday we went there. Another grey and rainy day, but we did manage to see a few nice ones.

IMG_4142-Edit-X2.jpg

55 / SU 23. Plumbeous Kite. Cola Creek, February

IMG_4149-X2.jpg

56 / SU 24. Channel-billed Toucan. Cola Creek, February. As it was a lifer we were quite excited when we spotted one high up in the trees, but it got even better, when we followed it to a nesting spot close by. Keeping our distance, of course, we watched the Toucan approac the nest, get in to feed partner or chicks and fly out again a minute later.

IMG_4153-Edit-X2.jpg

IMG_4163-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg