2023 for better or worse _ Soukous

Soukous

38 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I could do with a back up camera though and not sure if this would make a relatively inexpensive option.

I am sure it could do that Dave. One issue would be switching between cameras with completely different menu layouts and setting features. Sony's menus are notoriously arcane.

It was a bit of a shock to see the sun shining but it was the kick I needed to pick up my camera and take a walk by the river (Deben)

Sadly there was nothing special to see, but the light was nice.

# 23 - Wigeon - Mareca penelope

wigeon

wigeon-pair

# 24 - Common (Eurasian) Teal - Anas crecca ( No, not Green-winged Teal, that is Anas carolinensis)

I just love the way the colour on the male's plumage changes depending on the way the light catches it, changing from a deep blue to green

Teal

Teal

teal-f

# 25 - Black-tailed Godwit - Limosa limosa

Black-tailed Godwit

# 26 - Lapwing - Vanellus vanellus

I still like this one better than all the others I've seen in other countries.

lapwing

# 27 - Robin - Erithacus rubecula 

robin

Dave Williams
1 hour ago, TonyQ said:

Nice additions, and I agree about the Lapwing

Me too!

Your lapwings are certainly prettier than ours

Great photos Martin. What a beautiful place you have there - very scenic. Your "easy, always Nr. 1" bird is one I´ve been looking for for years now - am still missing Greater Striped Swallow. And absolutely yes about the Lapwing - very rare that our versions are more beautiful than the exotic ones.

3 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Your "easy, always Nr. 1" bird is one I´ve been looking for for years now - am still missing Greater Striped Swallow.

Any time you're passing Michael, you'll find them nesting on the stoep 

It is not often that I go out with a target species in mind but my last 2 outings have been exactly that. 

Last week, several friends were getting excellent sightings of Bearded Reedlings (Bearded Tit) so I thought I should get in on the fun. Of course they had all been out on days with lots of sun and no wind. I managed to pick a particularly blustery day so, although I could hear the birds calling from amid the reeds, I only caught glimpses of them. 

# 28 Bearded Reedling / Bearded Tit - Panurus biarmicus

RSPB Boynton Marshes, Suffolk. 

Not really the shot I had been hoping for, but until I get a better one this will do

Bearded reedling / Bearded Tit

This fellow was much noisier and easier to photograph

# 29 - Dunnock - Prunella modularis

RSPB Boynton Marshes, Suffolk

Dunnock

My next outing was also after I'd seen various friends make some excellent postings. Once again, I should have gone a few days earlier. :(

This was not my target bird, but as it was flitting around it would have been rude not to grab a couple of shots. In the process of which I discovered that somehow my camera had lost its settings; so the first few were just black, the next few were white and then there were some that were salvageable.

#30 - Black Redstart - Phoenicurus ochruros

East Lane, Bawdsey, Suffolk.

Black Redstart

Black Redstart

and then the sun came out

Black Redstart

The bird I was looking for, if it was around, would be about 500 metres away. It hadn't been there earlier but I decided to try again.

and was rewarded with a sighting.

The Purple Sandpiper was poking around on the sea defences while it waited for the tide to recede.

#31 - Purple Sandpiper - Calidris maritima

East Lane, Bawdsey, Suffolk

Purple Sandpiper

Purple Sandpiper

Purple Sandpiper

Purple Sandpiper

on the walk back to the car there was one more 

#32 - Meadow Pipit - Anthus pratensis

East Lane, Bawdsey, Suffolk.

Meadow Pipit

30 minutes ago, Zim Girl said:

Lovely pictures of the Purple Sandpiper.

Thank you, it's only taken me 3 years to get them :blink: 

Just catching up on your photos from South Africa and the UK. I agree with the others about your Sony RX10 photos.They are truly excellent. What you were lacking in number of SA species you certainly made up for in quality! And yes, what a beautiful place you have over there. I am glad the fires stayed were extinguished before they could become a threat. 

lovely photos. 

• 2 weeks later...

not many to add - due to not many outings - due to crappy weather. (it's wonderful being a fair weather birder :ph34r:)

#33 - Kestrel - Falco tinnunculus

from the kitchen window, Suffolk.

I saw this one fly into a tree about 70 metres away and went for my camera. As soon as he knew I was wanting to take a photo he showed me his back., but he couldn't resist a peek over his shoulder.

kestrel

#34 - Avocet - Recurvirostra avosetta

RSPB Boynton Marshes, Suffolk.

The first day in while when it hasn't been windy so we had a work party at RSPB Boynton Marshes to repair the dock. Of course I had to walk past the flash and of course I had a camera. Not much going on really but who can resist an Avocet?

avocet1

avocet

#35 - Firecrest - Regulus ignicapilla

RSPB Boynton Marshes, Suffolk

All my local birding buddies have managed to get fantastic shots of the Firecrest that have been hanging around RSPB Boynton for the past month. Somehow I always missed them. I had a few minutes to spare before we began work and I got lucky. Well sort of, at least I got a shot. Boy are they small and boy do they flit around a lot.

firecrest

Edited by Soukous

Any Frecrest is a good Firecrest and the other two were worth the effort.

Peter Connan

All three are beautiful shots!

Great pictures and three of my favorites I recently saw as well and your are right it's not easy to get a good picture from the Firecrest !

Three great additions there!  I have never seen a Firecrest.

Dave Williams

Some crackers so far Martin, particularly the Firecrest and the Black Redstart .