Foxy has a cunning plan onwards and upwards.

Dave Williams

Congrats on the Hobby. An excellent 'improvement' shot.

Dave Williams
5 hours ago, Galana said:

Congrats on the Hobby. An excellent 'improvement' shot.

That wasn't an improvement, it was the first I have seen in years !

OK , I guess it still qualifies under a different guise!

A beautiful Masked Shrike!

Dave Williams

611) Eastern Olivaceous Warbler.

As sightings began to slow down I spent longer waiting to see the likes if this warbler that was often heard  but not always seen!

52948071616_1f5e796808_h.jpgEastern Olivaceous Warbler. BY611  Lesvos 2023 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

613) Long-eared Owl

Everybody seemed to get a better shot of the Owl that was roosting locally than I did but  this shot was more like the reality whenever I went! Happy to even see one, only my second ever.

52948595330_13abf3a0ae_h.jpgLong-eared Owl. BY 613.  Lesvos 2023 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Not an endemic as such but the only place in Europe you will find this species so it's a top target for birders in Lesvos. They are found mainly in Turkey a few miles away over a narrow sea crossing.

614)Kruper's Nuthatch

52950365053_7b69da8460_h.jpgKruper's Nuthatch. BY614. Lesvos 2023 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Long been a bogey bird of mine and I thought it was going to continue when I kept on having brilliant views but either no camera or not quick enough. Fortunately by watching one individual I worked out where he was likely to use as a quick stop perch between bushes!

BY616)Cetti's Warbler

52949379912_3f9a55b5e9_h.jpgCetti's Warbler.   BY616.  Lesvos 2023 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Getting a decent total of lifers. Love the L.E.Owl. Always a keeper.

I also really like the picture of the LE Owl.

Dave Williams

620)Rosy Starling

Flocks of Rosy Starling were passing through Lesvos during the second week of our stay but the two we saw were not hanging around for long and distant.

52952874750_8b613a82e5_h.jpgRosy Starling.   BY620.   Lesvos 2023 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

I needed my long lens to get an image with any detail.

52952874435_5a5c2dc898_h.jpgRosy Starling.   BY620.   Lesvos 2023 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

I'm envious of the Rosy Starlings; never seen one! Beautiful photo of the Rock Nuthatch as well.

8 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

618)Rufus-tailed Bush Robin

Lovely photo, showing why the Robin got its name (the tail part). About the bush it stands on ... it looks more like a scrub to me :D.

Dave Williams
25 minutes ago, xelas said:

Lovely photo, showing why the Robin got its name (the tail part). About the bush it stands on ... it looks more like a scrub to me :D.

Well spotted Alex. The Lesvos Guide by Steve Dudley, considered the best , actually calls it a Bush Robin.

10 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Well spotted Alex. The Lesvos Guide by Steve Dudley, considered the best , actually calls it a Bush Robin.

The English names of the birds are becoming more confusing by the day :wacko:. At least latin/scientific names does not change that often. Anyway, your photo is perfect!

michael-ibk

Great birds you got in Lesbos Dave. Never even heard of a Kruper's Nuthatch - and there I thought I knew my European birds! 

• 2 weeks later...

Stunning masked shrike! and so envious of the LEO. never seen both, nor rosy starlings too. 

Cetti's warbler taunted us so many times but we were not fast enough for this sneaky swift species. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Dave Williams

I have been back from my week on my favourite birding paradise, the Isle of May , for a couple of weeks now and just about finished sorting my photographs. Nothing new to add to the big year which was expected. Instead I'll give you a little flavour of what it's like sat around the cliff top watching avian life and the struggles going on all around you.

Guillemot and it's prize catch

52996545084_a3493cb681_h.jpgGuillemot. Isle of May 2023 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Coming ashore at high tide

52996558349_d2163381b6_h.jpg_G7A2946 copy-topaz-denoise by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Cliff top landing by a Razorbill

53012153301_d1be7cdd0b_h.jpgRazorbill .     Isle of May 2023 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Demise of a Puffin

53019388539_4358de3d05_h.jpgGreat Black-backed Gull.   Isle of May 2023 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Drowned at sea

53019707078_79cbb12624_h.jpgGreat Black-backed Gull.   Isle of May 2023 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

The Shag family waiting for dinner to arrive

53002992971_85d3b204c6_h.jpgShag.      Isle of May 2023 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Male Eider Duck

53016720767_00f8b573f4_h.jpgEider Duck.       Isle of May 2023 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams