Kwando Trip

madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot, Geoff. Learning every time ...... hopefully I will try hard when at home also to keep trying. For example., Lots of good photo ops right round the corner - Peacocks etc etc.,

Cheers

Hari

http://www.pbase.com/haris_7/lebala_october_2008

PS: Have added more pics to the gallery

Alex The Lion

Great photos, Hari.

Shame I did not get back there this month.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot, Russell.

• 3 weeks later...
madaboutcheetah

I'm pretty devastated right now. I just learnt (read on fodors) the very sad and upsetting news that the cub did not survive. I know it's nature etc etc., but, having spent the better part of many many days with the cheetah and her cub - this news is very hard for me to handle.

I found the elephants! They are next to the roan, who seemed quite relaxed. Some beautiful leopard poses in there too.

madaboutcheetah

Who was relaxed? The elephants or the Roan? The Elephants, yes - this was my first trip in the Linyanti where we didn't get charged even once .....

Roan - no, they were not relaxed at all. We spent the better part of over an hour with the Roan herd and tried to inch closer and closer trying to get them to relax. This was towards the end of that sighting where they appeared to relax a fraction. Then a Roan bull came charging at the herd and they vanished ........ didn't try again!

Alex The Lion

That is a real shame about those young Cheetah.

I know how you feel, Hari. You can build such an infinity with certain animals when yo uspend so much time tracking and sitting with them.

Has the death been confirmed by Spencer?

madaboutcheetah

Yes ...... just sitting with them all day long for so many days, it felt like being a part of their lives ........

No confirmation as yet, Russell ...... I will keep you updated should I hear anything. Can't imagine the cub being okay........ Wasn't going to survive for that many days without the mother and he wasn't the kind who would hide around while she was hunting (not that young).

Both the eles and the roan look pretty at ease now that you mention it. I was referring to the roan, though. Guess you were quick on the shutter to get him before he was fleeing or charging.

I'm sure you feel like a friend has passed away, Hari. You'll view your wonderful photos in a more poignant way. A shock for you I can imagine.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks, Lynn. I know Spencer is on leave just before and during Christmas and will go home. I will call to wish him for the Holidays and ask him about what happened.