South Luangwa NP- Kafunta

USAnimalfan

madaboutcheetah

Wonderful to know that the dogs are doing so well in the SLNP. Thanks for the report and photos!!!

Guest nyama
South Luangwa just might now be the best place in Africa to see WILD DOGS!!!
As a regular South Luangwa visitor I can tell you that you had big luck with the wild dogs.

Better areas for seeing wild dogs are certainly northern Botswana (Kwando, Mapula, Kwara) or Mana Pools.

USAnimalfan
South Luangwa just might now be the best place in Africa to see WILD DOGS!!!
As a regular South Luangwa visitor I can tell you that you had big luck with the wild dogs.

Better areas for seeing wild dogs are certainly northern Botswana (Kwando, Mapula, Kwara) or Mana Pools.

Did you go this year? We were told that this year was exceptional. Four guests that left the day after we arrived had seen different dogs inside the Park several days before. Our guides told us that there were a lot more sightings this year than in past years, and that the researchers had recently identified several packs inside the park. (We saw ours in the GMA outside the Park). If that is consistent from 2009 forward, it might be the best place. We have been to Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, Botswana and Namibia and had never seen them. The best we did was visit a place in the Okavango where they had been seen once several weeks prior.

Sth Luangwa is defintely NOT the best place in Africa to see wild dogs.

Guest nyama
Did you go this year? We were told that this year was exceptional.
Well, season has just begun. Not sure if one can already call the year exceptional then.

Wild dog sightings in South Luangwa are unpredictable. I saw my first wild dogs near Luwi crossing of 05 Road, somewhere between Nsolo and Luwi Camp, not an area where I had expected this.

madaboutcheetah

WS reports have been talking about good dog viewing in their sections of the SNLP?

Guest nyama
WS reports have been talking about good dog viewing in their sections of the SNLP?
You mean the tsetse reports? :)

I'm not aware of wildlife reports from WS South Luangwa.

Thanks for the South Luangwa report, US Animal Fan. Loved the O'Bama pub! Did you order a pint in there?

madaboutcheetah

That's only my guess ...... because of those complementary night specials for Zambia etc etc., that they were giving away.

• 1 month later...

Hi Usanimalfan,

Thank you very much for your report.

How many days did you spend in SLNP ?

I was there for 5 days in August 2006 and no wild dogs at all, only one leopard stalking but not killing, so I think you were really lucky.

I don't know if we were lucky or not, but we saw lions on almost every drive.

I confirm that guides don't speak on radio.

Last year I was in Uganda and the gorilla trekking was great.

I'm new on this forum, so I don't want to go off topic, but you want to know with which company we traveled Uganda just let me know.

• 5 months later...

Hi Usanimalfan

This is Tony from Island Bush camp, great to see your report and comments on thw wilddogs . That afternoon when we spotted them close to Kafunta was magical. We saw them many times as the season went on although they would go missing for weeks also. It was nice meeting you.

Kind regards

Edited: Busanga, you will refer to the FORUM RULES:

If you are a tour operator, lodge manager, travel agency etc, you agree not to publicise your company, blatantly or otherwise. However, you can make mention of such in your introductory post in the Introductions forum, and you are encouraged to include your website address as a part of your signature.

I have warned you on your avatar details. If this happens again, your membership will be deleted, your posts removed. You are welcome to contribute your knowledge, but self advertising is not allowed.

Hello Chuy,

You may wish to introduce yourself in the Introductions section. From South Luangwa to Bwindi, you are obviously an African fan and have come to the correct forum. Hope you can contribute to additional topics and maybe throw in a bird pic, which I need to do as well.

http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/news/unu...?newsItem=12432

Hopefully, the dog lovers move over to SNLP. They really need visitors during this time of low bookings etc etc.,? no?

Most camps in Luangwa are closed in the green season as they become impossible to reach. The few that remain open Mfuwe, Kapani etc do ok from what I gather.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Usanimalfan

This is Tony from Island Bush camp, great to see your report and comments on thw wilddogs . That afternoon when we spotted them close to Kafunta was magical. We saw them many times as the season went on although they would go missing for weeks also. It was nice meeting you.

Kind regards

Edited: Busanga, you will refer to the FORUM RULES:

If you are a tour operator, lodge manager, travel agency etc, you agree not to publicise your company, blatantly or otherwise. However, you can make mention of such in your introductory post in the Introductions forum, and you are encouraged to include your website address as a part of your signature.

I have warned you on your avatar details. If this happens again, your membership will be deleted, your posts removed. You are welcome to contribute your knowledge, but self advertising is not allowed.

Well, I am not in the business so I guess I am not restricted from talking up a place I visited, and I really liked Kafunta, including the Island Bush Camp. I think Tony was most likely just commenting on the pack of dogs we saw, and was not really intending to promote Kafunta on Safaritalk. He was quite entertaining at the Bush Camp, and educated me about "impala poo spitting", a sport that I was not previously familiar with.

Oh well, our plans are the Pantanal in the wild west of Brazil this summer, then Uganda for gorillas and such in 2011, if I am not too old to walk up the mountain then.

I think Tony was most likely just commenting on the pack of dogs we saw, and was not really intending to promote Kafunta on Safaritalk.
Tony's original post was a bit longer...

madaboutcheetah

Wow ....... business in Zambia sounds slow.

PS: I didn't read the thread - just going by GW's comments in Red.

It wasn't that bad, but the rules is the rules.

Wow ....... business in Zambia sounds slow.

PS: I didn't read the thread - just going by GW's comments in Red.

:D How do you jump to the conclusion that "business in Zambia sounds slow" based on the fact that one person from one camp in Zambia had his post edited for breaking foum rules... ? ;)

Zambia is a country not a camp.

But a more fundamental question I suppose is: "What sound does being slow make?" :P

madaboutcheetah

Thanks for the Geography lesson! ;)

Nice sighting of those dogs!

I was bummed we didn't see those 4 males, we did see the 2 females (one of which is now with the 4 males, the other on her own inside the park) but we were on our way down to Luamfwa to look for the dog pack there.

The males you saw had one female with them and had 7 pups last season. However, the female who gave birth is missing now and is replaced with a very small (but definitely adult!) female.

There are several packs who spend most, or all their time in the GMA.

In the 2008 season we, indeed, identified a lot of new dogs and packs. In 2009 we found more new dogs, but not so many new packs.

However, a pack of about 30 dogs has been reported far inland inside South Luangwa and late in the 2008 season a pack was reported on the valley floor of Lower Zambezi (litterally days after camp closing), they were also seen in may (shortly before camp opening) and we received many good photos from some guides and managers in Lower Zambezi. We've identified 28 dogs in that pack. Late last year (again, shortly after camp closing!) they were seen again, about 25 of them, but with about 13 pups! No idea where the others have gone to, or if they were around, or have left or died.

Before this pack was seen in the park it was probably reported in the Rufunsa GMA, we also received reports of a pack of about 25 dogs in another GMA between South Luangwa and Lower Zambezi.

Part of the AWDCs work has been to establish a corridor from S.Luangwa to the lower Zambezi NP which goes through the GMA.
Wow. These are at least four GMAs to cross of which only one has a "prime" status (West Petauke). Good luck to them. I guess there's still a lot of work to do before this dream comes true.

There is still a lot of work, but wild dogs don't need 'prime' areas (with regard to wildlife numbers) to survive, if there's a duiker, they'll get it! Snaring seems the biggest threat, but if a GMA is depopulated and poached out (apart from the odd duiker and bushbuck) wild dogs might well sustain themselves.

Definitely around North and South Luangwa wild dogs are using the GMAs.

Just to clear up why I edited that post by Tony, following on from what was pertinent information, he then started advertising his website and business, which wasn't acceptable. I had two options, to delete his membership, or make it clear about the self advertising. I understand that this was not the first time his company website has been promoted in this way.