My 'Childish' Trip Report - 40 years late!

twaffle

Probably not on this trip. I'm being environmentally irresponsible and flying down to the Mara and back again. When I have more time I will probably do another road trip and then I'll take more photos. Almost impossible to get photos of our old house because of the hedge and gate and razor wire and guard etc etc but I would like to visit Uganda and try to retrace some old places which I think is easier than in Kenya. Lake Nabogabo for instance, where we spent many happy holidays is still a highly regarding local destination as well as some of the more isolated places. Whether I could get to some of the places we visited I don't know, the security is an issue in many spots along the DRC border and the northern areas of Uganda. There's a challenge! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Twaffle,

Such descriptive writing and the stunning photos had me totally absorbed.

What wonderful memories you have.

Thanks for sharing them.

Thanks Caracal, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

• 4 weeks later...

What a treat! I love your stories and pictures. And how lucky you are to have such memories. Your writing does remind me of other books I've read of Africa and I am transported. Thank you! I hope more memories and pictures surface and you add them here. :lol:

Thank you Sundowner, I have so many more old slides but it is hard to know what would be of interest. Perhaps I will scan some more in at some stage when they seem pertinent to a discussion which is going on.

I would imagine any photos of vintage Africa will be of interest. You have my vote!

I have so many more old slides but it is hard to know what would be of interest. Perhaps I will scan some more in at some stage when they seem pertinent to a discussion which is going on.

Dear Twaffle, There can never be too many so far as I'm concerned. I am envious of your wonderful African childhood.

It surely does us all good to see places and you and your family in days gone by.

Jan

It is quite a daunting thought, delving into the slide archives again! We'll have to see what sort of winter we have as it is definitely a winter job.

Believe me, Twaffle, your work will be very much appreciated.

Jan

speachless. im only 21 and have been fortunate to spend a lot of time in africa, however the story you have posted here is phenomenal and takes me back to a time in history (sorry if that makes you sound old!) which i wish more than anything i had been fortunate enough to witness... northern white rhino, wild dog in places im sure they are gone from today... thankyou

• 1 month later...

Twaffle, I've just read this again, and it really is amazing!

Thank you for putting it out there for all of us.

Dot

Thanks Dot, now I'll have to re read it to see what I said. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Many of you would know that this trip down memory lane was in part a tribute to my father's photographs and the life he gave us in East Africa.

Sadly my Dad died early this morning 3 days after his 86th birthday. My conversations with him about Safaritalk gave him much cause for amusement … that his work and passion in and for the country should have evidenced itself so strongly in me.

A part of me has died.

So sorry to hear that, twaffle... We have all felt the pain of loss, so I am sure we all understand what you are feeling & going through. How nice, though, that his interests have manifested in you & fostered your own interests that carry forward...

Thank you Rick, I feel that the best way to cope with loss, apart from supporting ones family, is to plan a safari. Even if I don't go for years, the planning is a good distraction.

Twaffle-

My sincere condolences for your loss. Your father lives on in your passion for Africa.

Thanks Pangolin. I'm sure you're right. I'm using the following photo for his funeral card … I think he would approve.

92.jpg

Twaffle, I just found this Trip Report and have spent a good part of the evening thoroughly enjoying it. Then I came to the last posts and discovered your loss. I am so sorry. As an earlier poster said, your father lives on in your continuing love for Africa.

Game Warden

Twaffle, I'm so sorry, we've talked via pm about your dad on various occasions but I wanted to share and add my thoughts/sentiments with everyone else here. I'm sure he was proud of what you've been doing with Safaritalk and your renewed passion for Africa. Matt

Twaffle, I'm really sadened about this loss. I lost my Dad several years ago and I can understand the pain you are going through.

I wish you courage and all my thoughts go to you and your family,

Nenette

I'm so sorry for your loss, twaffle.

Alex The Lion

Sorry to hear about your loss, Twaffle.

Your fathers memories will be remembered by us on ST.

Twaffle, I’m so sorry for the loss of your father. Keep on planning.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your posts. Dad would be chuckling, he always had a knack for getting international attention! :)

• 7 months later...

Gosh Twaffle, Your posting today reminded me about this web site and lo and behold I came across your amazing autobiography! What a fabulous childhood and a wonderful tribute to you dad before he passed away. He was a wonderful photographer too, such beautiful photographs all throughout. You really put so much work into this, and well worthwhile. Have you thought about having an album of this printed? I'm really sorry you lost your dad earlier this year, but as someone else wrote, he lives on in you.