My 'Childish' Trip Report - 40 years late!

twaffle

Thanks TinyDancer, nice to see you here. I would like to do something with Dad's photos eventually but I feel swamped with so many things … new website, a book in the pipeline, an exhibition for next year, oh, and making a living! :) And to be honest, it is all a bit of an emotional roller coaster still. 2011 … I'll start on Dad's birthday.....

Dear Twaffle, I was away in Botswana when your father died. I'm sure that your father was a great man who

gave you a childhood that I've often envied. The photo you used of him with one of his lovely cars was just right.

Losing your parents is hard, I'm the senior member of my family, and the years fly faster, you must have such

wonderful memories, not everyone has those, but I'm sure that you cherish them.

Much love,

Jan

• 6 months later...

First, congratulations on this brilliant report, and for an outstanding effort. Will echo others' words that you surely made us all "live" the experience through your writing.

I've just started off with the forum, though have lurked around for some time before posting.

Sorry for your loss, but what a delight it has been to view your father's photography and experiences!

Thanks for sharing these lifetime of memories and adventures, hope to see more & more!

Shreyas

Thanks Shreyas, and welcome to ST. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
figtreeforest
Water buck.

84.jpg

Is this not a Defassa Waterbuck (Kobus defassa)?

A distant view of sable antelope, Shimba Hills.

109.jpg

Are these not Roan Antelope (Hippotragus equinus)?

Hi Figtreeforest and welcome to Safaritalk.

The Waterbuck is a defassa which is easily distinguished from the common waterbuck by the lack of the white ring 'target', instead having the completely pale rump.

I don't think roan antelope were found in Shimba Hills back in the 1960s although I understand some may have been introduced recently. These may be females or young males, not sure, but the slides have sable written on them so can only go by that. Not to say that Dad wasn't wrong, it happens! :D

Game Warden

Come on Twaffle, aren't there any more of your dad's gems still on slide that you haven't scanned yet? If you find anymore, why not add them here... I find myself occasionally rereading this account, and everytime it's fresh and interesting. What great memories. Some of the photos showing you as a girl with your family, sitting round the camp fire I can relate to with my young family. Hopefully it won't be long before the four of us can share a bush braai in the wilderness like you did...

It's a winter job GW, and winter is inching closer. :D

I'll start embedding some of Dad's cine film here as I convert it. No soundtrack so everyone can sing their own favourite version of Swinging Safari or Wimoweh, as they see fit! ;)

Just when you thought that I'd finished with this thread … but wait, there's more!!!!!! ;)

Another short clip of wild dogs, but it was so short I left the next clips with a croc and a rather handsome hippo.

Game Warden

More, more...

• 1 month later...
Tanya_in_Kenya

Twaffle, you ought to write an article for the OLD AFRICA magazine - they would love these stories and photos. 'Old Africa' is a popular magazine published here in Kenya, which recounts people's memories of East Africa in days gone by - not just Kenyan stories, either, despite what the website says! We subscribe to the magazine and there are plenty of stories about Uganda and Tz, as well as Kenya: http://oldafricamagazine.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! What great photos from years ago. Must have been quite the adventure. Thanks for sharing!

• 3 months later...

Whilst living in Kampala, we did short trips to Kenya. My Mother's passion was riding and because of Sleeping Sickness, horses couldn't be kept in Uganda. In Kenya, because of the altitude, we were able to ride so trips to various polo clubs and other sundry riding establishments became part of our lives.

This trip to Kaptagat was also in 1964, we stayed at the Kaptagat Arms Hotel, which is still going (according to the internet, although it looks very run down).

81.jpg

The following photos are on a trip back to the west of the country to the Kigezi hills.

81.jpg

Villages in the Kigezi hills. It all looks very neat and well kept.

81-28.jpg

This is Muhavura, at 13,500ft. A volcano on the Uganda/Rwanda border at the northern edge of the Virunga range.

81.jpg

The Ankole Hills of cattle fame.

81.jpg

Next we will head of to Murchison Falls National Park, cross the Nile at Packwach and see some local tribal dancers.

I love your story... I am writing as much of my life of growing up wild in Africa to leave for my kids and grandchildren. You should be doing the same. Your story is beautifully written.

Thanks Tanya, I've thought about it but just need to find time. Thanks Matnikstym, sorry I took so long to reply. And thanks Sharon, my children are a little sick of Africa but I have hopes for my grandchildren whenever I should be so blessed.

• 4 months later...

Thanks, but my memories are flawed and faded. Ah well, that's life.

It appears you are busy making some new ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Fabulous reporr - I lived in Kenya between 1977 ad 1981 and it brought back excellent memories !

Thanks Philw, so we can expect your retrospective soon!! :D

Fabulous reporr - I lived in Kenya between 1977 ad 1981 and it brought back excellent memories !

Your admission is your mistake: may I direct you to the trip reports section...

BTW, not bad Twaffle...

Yikes!