My 'Childish' Trip Report - 40 years late!

twaffle

californiagal1017

Incredible trip report, thank you so much for sharing twaffle.

Thanks Californiagal, glad you liked it and welcome to ST (I'll get around to posting on your threads eventually :) )

• 1 month later...

I only joined ST a while ago and wondered what that pinned item was at the top of trip reviews! I have been reading all day and am amazed by your story. You were a lucky lucky little girl. My Dad, now 88 also took me camping as a child and had a little primus stove. The furthest we got was The New Forest!! he had the chance to work in Nairobi when I was about ten but Mum wouldn't go. How I wish we had.

Just packing for Namibia and Botswana, leaving on Thursday so I did get to Africa after all. :D :D

Greetings from sunny Cornwall. Pen

Thanks Pen, I hope you have a spectacular safari.

• 1 month later...

so glad I stumbled on this ....I was hoping you would so more....absoluting fascinating.....

but your dream.......your prose is far too realistic...I was spellbound....might not share with my wife or she will have nightmares our entire safari....and I might as well....

Please keep them coming....

Mosquito, your wife will just love the terror of a predator circling her tent! I've used my tripod as a weapon, just a hint. :D

I am simply blown away.....How rich this account! A real treasure that will only add dimension to my rapidly approaching trip.

• 3 months later...

Twaffle, your report was fabulous. I just finished it after reading on and off for a few days. I cried when I got to the part where your father passed away. My belated condolences. What wonderful photos, videos and memories. Thank you so much for sharing.

Thanks Mosquito and SafariChick. I do appreciate you taking time to respond, makes me feel really happy. Miss my father every day and talk to him more than I should.

Twaffle,

What a welcome (for me) to ST. Yours is the first trip report I came across and read here and I was spellbound. Sorry to hear about your father - but 86 is a good innings by any measure. Thank you so much for doing all the hard work to share your African years with us.

Rgds,

John

Thank you John for wading through all those pages, I do appreciate it.

KageraSafaris

Wow Wow!!! I dont seem to get enough of your report. Living in Uganda, I am amazed at the pictures especially of western Uganda. Thanks for the report. Looking forward to the book whenever you write one.

Thanks KageraSafaris, appreciate the comments. I do long to get back to Uganda. As to the book, I am talking to my sister who is older so that we can compile more memories and see if we have enough for a book. I have many more photos.

• 2 months later...

I just finished reading this and it is a wonderful memoir which I have thoroughly enjoyed. You had a very adventurous and fascinating childhood and I think this could become a book. Thanks for writing this.

• 3 weeks later...

It took a while but what a captivating recount of your childhood! Excellent!

Thanks for wading through and the nice comment double-p.

• 1 month later...

I remember the Kaptagat Arms Hotel - from my school days in Eldoret!

I remember the Kaptagat Arms Hotel - from my school days in Eldoret!

Maybe you can share some stories and photos with us, it would be great to reminisce.

michael-ibk

@@twaffle :

Just thank you for this. I was "saving" reading this trip report for a lazy, snowy/rainy Sunday afternoon which was today. I´ve immensely enjoyed this. I think the adventures of Scout Fink ("To Kill a Mockingbird") would read like this if she had grown up in Africa.

Definitely the richest, most beautiful and intimate thread here on Safaritalk, and I´m convinced your father would be happy that you´ve shared the gift of your family memories with us in a way that so clearly demonstrates how much you love Africa - and him.

Wonderful.

Thank you Michael, I truly appreciate the comments.

Great story and pictures...you are blessed to have had a unique childhood.....

Thanks for sharing.

Scott

Greenville, SC

Thanks Scot, and welcome to Safaritalk.

@twaffle I can't thank you enough for taking the time to share these amazing stories and photos. I've been enthralled all the way through, and have laughed and cried. I don't think I've ever read a trip report so engaging, and that I know I will reread over and over again. I echo the others who have suggested making this into a book. THANK YOU!

Thanks Bushmaniac, my old report seems to have had somewhat of a revival which is gratifying. :)