My 'Childish' Trip Report - 40 years late!

twaffle

Panthera Pardus

This is so special twaffle and thanks for sharing. I can relate to the JHB of 1968 and the train ride to Durban.

This has been a fantastic read, as everyone has already said thank you for sharing all I can do is echo those sentiments. Its been great seeing photos of places I recognise from when I lived in Kenya, such as the Stanley Hotel junction at Kimathi Street where the roundabout used to be, with the statue of Delamere... long gone! Also the Chania Falls can still be viewed from that Bridge in the photo and are located within the grounds of the Blue Post Hotel in Thika. Delamere's Nose - the hill is shaped like his nose - is just about in shot in the photo taken at the roadside next to Lake Elementaita and gives a good view across Soysambu Ranch.

Truly wonderful, loved every word and every photo. You really should think about writing an article for Old Africa magazine :D

Thank you Panthera Pardus (great screen name, by the way) and Safari Cal. I wish we could share stories and photos about the old days.

Best TR I have read. I would have loved to have experienced and known Africa at that time

Thanks Dam2810. I think the TR improves because of it's age not necessarily the writing but I'll take any compliments I can gather!! :D

kulkulbelle

I'll talk to my parents this weekend to see if I can get more info on some of the people we knew. One farming couple who will appear a little later, now live in your neck of the woods.

Don't know about Out of Africa, more like the Griswalds meet the Flame Trees of Thika! biggrin.gif

Laughed out loud at your reference to "Griswalds meet Flame trees of Thika" - As a child I loved and still love to read Elspeth's recollections of her African life.

• 3 weeks later...
owenshaffer

These photos are all outstanding.

• 9 months later...

Today is my father's birthday and in 2 days time it will be 4 years since he died.

A few days ago I was clearing out some drawers of his that I'd missed earlier and I found $100 tucked away with some travel documents. So my father is still watching out for me and he kindly paid for lunch for my sister, brother in law, daughter and me.

He always was one to plan ahead. Still missing you Dad.

@@twaffle, I had not joined ST when you committed your memories and slides to the forums so I have just discovered them.

What a wonderful and insightful look back at East Africa.

It really brings home how much we relied on photographs to keep track of family history. My father didn't take many photos but he took reels and reels of cine film from our time spent overseas.

Every time I look at them it amazes me how much I had forgotten.

I seriously wonder whether the modern Facebook/Twitter generation will be able to produce a retrospective report like yours 40 years from now.

Thank you so much for sharing.

@@twaffle I second @@Soukous and was not aware of your posting from 2009. Please remember to "up" it often.

Soukous, please remember to digitalize your reels before it is too late.

Twaffle, this is third time you brings tears to my eyes, that is very unusual. I hope you will soon get to the place where all thoughts of your father bring only gladness and not so much sorrow!

Thank you Soukous and Kasper, I appreciate your comments very much.

@@twaffle, just read your story, absolutely amazing, and how sad must have been that last flight...

• 8 months later...

Wow, no words... simply no words. I am a new member, and I just loved those pictures! I live in Nairobi, Kenya. Wish I could see more!

Still no words... all I could do was fight back tears as I was reading the last paragraph.

Thank you @@wildgiraffe your country brought me many years filled with the happiest moments and memories. As I get older I cling to them more and more realising that we can never go back and that the country has changed irreversibly. It still gives me pleasure to visit, although not so much Nairobi itself as I really hate cities.

Thanks @@pedro maia I've only just noticed your comment. Thank you. That last flight is still an ache, I'm so melodramatic!

Twaffle, this is a photo that I took a couple of weeks ago; :) and I am dedicating it to you; just as a sign of 'Thank you' for touching my heart through your post. So much blessings to you! post-48820-0-12309300-1416996158_thumb.jpeg

Thank you @@wildgiraffe for this truly beautiful gift. What a sky, what a beloved country.

• 5 years later...

I too had an interesting stay with Toni Nutti.  I took a portrait of her, and also a shot of the river rushing past the island. I visited her with my parents, and still have a wonderful memory of being in the bosun's chair crossing the river and seeing my Dad on the bank rapidly removing his trousers to deal with an attack of safari ants. Well, Mum and I laughed, anyway. As I remember Toni died in Nairobi Hospital around 1972(???)

Toni Nuti.jpg

Kagera River.jpg

Edited by Granville
adding pictures

• 2 years later...

What a wonderful, wonderful report, twaffle. Memories are the reason I have returned to ST after a long absence, and why I chose to peruse first of all the writings and pictures posted by you and a couple of other very familiar names from years gone by.