Kwando Camps June-July 2009

Guest sniktawk

(no cats at all, except a Civet in spotlight).

Glad you had a great time and I'm always happy to read about trips. Please don't take the following wrong, I'm not trying to be a nomenclature snob or anything, but I just can't help myself:

A civet is not a cat. When I went to school it was a mongoose, but you know us scientists, just when we think something is settled, someone else decides it is not. May be a mongoose, may be its own thing (along with genets), but definitely not a cat.

Anyway, just trying to help :(

No probs Pangolin - always happy to learn something new.

As you're a clever chappy can you answer this for me ... do you think a Hyena is in the dog or cat family. I always thought dog but I read recently that it's more linked to the cat family by DNA etc. Did I read porkies or is this now the new scientific thinking?

Cheers.

Clever?

Rarely accused of that.

Opinionated, frank, etc., are the more common descriptions.

As for hyenas-

They are in their own family within the order Carnivora. Again, things change, but when I went to school (many brain cells ago), the Carnivora families were:

(1) cats, (2) dogs, (3) mongooses (mongeese?); (4) (weasels - includes honey badgers); (5) racoons; (6) hyenas; (7) bears.

All sorts of lumping and splitting can be done (for example, I learned that fossa's were a mongoose, but some now put them in their own family), but those are the general categories.

As I said, hyenas are in their own family (with aardwolves), but, as I understand it, they are indeed more closely related to cats than to dogs. I, too, think they look more like dogs in general appearance.

madaboutcheetah

whorty1970,

What a coincidence? Small world hey, meeting Sniktawk and party at the Kwando camps and then finding the trip report?????

Friends of Sniktawk and mine just spent two weeks at Little Kwara and saw cheetahs aplenty along with some fantastic all round game viewing. Also a great safari with Hobbs from the sounds of it.

So much so, if time permits and if I am able to- I shall add some nights at Little Kwara to my mobile trip to the CKGR with the Massons.

Friends of Sniktawk and mine just spent two weeks at Little Kwara and saw cheetahs aplenty along with some fantastic all round game viewing. Also a great safari with Hobbs from the sounds of it.

Any further info would be much appreciated in the run up to our trip at the end of Feb.

madaboutcheetah

Are you on Facebook by any chance? He has a trip report on the Wildlife at Kwando safaris Facebook page. You'll find it under "discussions".

Friends of Sniktawk and mine just spent two weeks at Little Kwara and saw cheetahs aplenty along with some fantastic all round game viewing.

So much so, if time permits and if I am able to- I shall add some nights at Little Kwara to my mobile trip to the CKGR with the Massons.

Hari, I'll be at Little Kwara with Spencer 13-15 March. Sounds good at L.K. at the moment, doesn't it? But we also

know how things can change.

Jan

madaboutcheetah

Hi Jan,

Is Little Kwara your last stop on the safari? If so, there's a chance we fly back to JNB again like last year.

Actually, my Massons mobile ends on the 16th. If I do LK for a few days, at the end I would get in on the 16th. I shall keep you updated. Not sure yet, if I do it at the end or prior to the mobile trip....... it would be work related here at home to see if I have the extra few days.

Yes, looks good now. I think you are going to see some splendid stuff.......

Regards

Hari

Hari, it doesn't look good. I leave L.K. on the morning of the 16th March, and don't fly Maun/Jo'burg until 25th. Maybe

we'll cross at the airstrip. If so we can compare notes later!

Jan

madaboutcheetah

Thanks, Jan. Shall keep you posted shortly.

Hari