Trip Report - Kafue National Park and Other Places in Zambia (Sept '09)

Safaridude

Safaridude

Well, I am not sure to the extent that I haven't been there during the wet season... but yes, everyone says the Busanga pride stays out there hunting lechwes.

Well, I am not sure to the extent that I haven't been there during the wet season... but yes, everyone says the Busanga pride stays out there hunting lechwes.

Hmmm. I asked where the prides on the Busanga plains spent the wet season. My guides in 2008 said they moved their core territory to the tree line where it was predominantly drier.

Lots of islands there. Makes sense to me.

The Superstes part of the family has always been a bit peculiar, even before they got their name.

If Safaridude can prove that he’s not a professional writer I’ll do …. something. (If I weren’t so tired I’d think of something shocking to do)

Safaridude

Geoff and Nyama, whatever the case, let's just hope they don't collar these animals and just let them be...

Safaridude

Nyamera, the only time I got close to being a professional writer is when my college buddy offered me some paltry sum to write a paper for him. I declined. Now, we all await something shocking from you...

madaboutcheetah

Safaridude,

This is one of the best written reports, I've ever read!!! Not just the prose, but, the entire flow and style ....... kept me captivated through it..........

Geoff and Nyama, whatever the case, let's just hope they don't collar these animals and just let them be...

The last thing i want to look/photograph at is a collared animal.

Yeah, I suspect they could remain on the islands but it would be hard living during the wet.

Lechwe & puku are definitely the preferred prey of the Busunga pride. They came off 2nd best when attemting to take a buffalo in 2008. The lead lioness died and it was the reason the youngsters starved to death.

madaboutcheetah

Or the camps stay open throughout the year, and do the research .......

Safaridude

Thank you Hari.

Or just use the oft-maligned (on this website anyway) WS helicopter to check it out...

madaboutcheetah

Yes, why not ....... use the helicopter for research purposes! and look out for the poachers who supposedly get down to Kafue during the wet months!!!

Nyamera, the only time I got close to being a professional writer is when my college buddy offered me some paltry sum to write a paper for him. I declined. Now, we all await something shocking from you...

I’m glad I didn’t say what kind of shocking thing I’d do, but now I have to do something.

Safaridude, you have the right focus on your trips. The costal topi in Kenya, and this time the Bangweulu tsessebe!

Atravelynn
Thank you Hari.

Or just use the oft-maligned (on this website anyway) WS helicopter to check it out...

If it were doing anti-poaching runs, maybe it would not be so maligned.

Or the camps stay open throughout the year, and do the research .......
If I recall it right then WS even shortened season of some of their Busanga camps this year. Not in their wildest dreams they will think about keeping camps open during rainy season, or keep an helicopter in operation there.

Yes, they can invite a research team during rainy season, give them some powerboats for getting from the islands. Maybe build a microlight airstrip (though not sure where). And who pays for this? WS? I guess their share holders won't be happy....

Safaridude

Interestingly, in Southern Kafue, Nanzhila Plains Camp will have a microlight this year. They have lined up volunteer pilots, so they will make anti-poaching runs this wet season.

Interestingly, in Southern Kafue, Nanzhila Plains Camp will have a microlight this year. They have lined up volunteer pilots, so they will make anti-poaching runs this wet season.
Yes, but the situation is quite different. At Nanzhila Plains you still have people who are living a dream, who are devoted to conservation. And the area really needs it, they must do it to save that part of Kafue, must do it to survive - there's not a single manned ZAWA post on the western flank of the park (I visited one of these abandoned places with Andre), it's all open to poaching.
  • 2 weeks later...