Show us your leopard pics...

Game Warden

734185211_OntheMove.JPG.4a4de186d8c5f0ad8e599f7f9598f2ec.JPG

On the Move

~ Photographed with a Canon EOS 1D X camera mounted with an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens, hand-held, Manual shooting mode.

Samburu National Reserve, Kenya on 28 April, 2014 at 3:03 pm, ISO 800, f/4, 1/640 sec.

The masterful @Anthony Gitauhad brought me to Samburu with this sighting in mind.

It was the first Panthera pardus I'd ever observed or photographed. A joy then and a joy to remember now.

Peter Connan

A beautiful portrait indeed!

with no opportunity to take new pictures of Africa I have resorted to going through my old ones and taking a fresh look. 

Here are some lovely leopards from South Luangwa

Leopard

Leopard

Leopard

Leopard f

Leopard f

Leopard at night

~ @Soukous:

All of your South Luangwa leopards are superb

The night image is a lesson in clear photography in low lighting.

I'd hope to someday approach such image clarity after dark...with such an obliging subject.

Thank you for posting these.

Tom K.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

1152162849_LeopardBranch.JPG.cc54019e4a23e0d460cb62c46d9492d0.JPG

Leopard on a Branch

~ Photographed with a Canon EOS 1D X camera mounted with an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens, hand-held, Manual shooting mode.

Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya on 20 August, 2014 at 12:19 pm, ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/1600 sec.

This image is from a series during an extended observation beside a small waterhole shaded by a tree.

We were blessed when the leopard walked on the tree branch in our direction before leisurely strolling away.

• 6 months later...

Male Leopard in a tree in Seronera area of Serengeti National Park, Tanzania.

750_4801_DxO.jpg

750_4857_DxO.jpg

750_5066_DxO.jpg

Edited by FlyTraveler

• 2 weeks later...

Female Leopard with a prey (male Red lechwe) in Moremi Game Reserve, Botswana. September, 2022.

750_1526_DxO-2.jpg

750_1583_DxO.jpg

750_1588_DxO.jpg

750_1477_DxO.jpg

Edited by FlyTraveler

Leopard in Khwai Concession, Botswana. September, 2022.

750_0670_DxO-1.jpg

750_0705_DxO.jpg

750_0737_DxO.jpg

Edited by FlyTraveler

Beautiful among the flowers!

Just pulling together a few of my favourite photo's from our recent trip to S. Luangwa (Mwamba/Kaingo) here...several already posted eslewhere on ST, hope this is OK?

2R4C8655-X2.jpg

2R4C8659-X2.jpg

2R4C9242-X2.jpg

2R4C9740-X2.jpg

2R4C9876-X2.jpg

2R4C9902-X2.jpg

2R4C9906-X2.jpg

2R4C9929-X2.jpg

2R4C9907-X2.jpg

2R4C9796-X2.jpg

2R4C0059-X2.jpg

Edited by Whyone?

Young female Leopard near North Gate, Moremi, August 2022.

Quite fun, she had been charging around after a Squirrel. Not realising the Squirrel had left the tree ages before!

IMG_3516 2.jpg

• 8 months later...
africaaddict

Night hunting with a Black Leopardess. (Holy Grail images, 42 years in the making!)  Pt 1

What goes bump in the night!

"Giza Mrembo" (Swahili for Dark/Black beauty), grabs a Dik Dik whilst out on her nightly hunting trip, what a beautiful huntress she is! For me this has been my Holy Grail, after 42 yrs traveling to/and photographing African wildlife, I never thought the day would come when I would be privileged to see a melanistic Leopard!

This was just 1 one of 8 successful hunting trips I was most fortunate to witness during my amazing 9 nights@Laikipia Wilderness camp, Nth/Central Kenya.

To witness 8 successful hunts in just 9 nights for a Leopard is an amazing ratio and statistic, to put it into perspective, I have witnessed only around 8 or 9 successful hunts by a Leopard in my entire lifetime of (approaching my 50th) Africa trips! 

I've been extremely fortunate to have now completed a rare black photographic  "Cat-trick" with a melanistic Serval, Jaquar and now Leopard.

I'm back here again for 10 nights in March. 

Nikon Z9

Nikkor Z70-200 f/2.8

1/160s

f/2.8

ISO9000@115mm.

-2EV  Spot lit from the right (as viewed)

Z9A_0164cBPN.jpg.b8d3ab0a304b9bf020740e35c0c4e06e.jpg

Back in black

Those eyes are absolutely mesmerising!

Nikon Z9

Nikkor Z400 TC f/2.8

1/125s

f/2.8

ISO2000.

-2.67 EV  Spot lit

Z9B_5319BPN.jpg.11f4662291c6b4ac2557b84446315ea8.jpg

Living under the spotlight

Nikon Z9

Nikkor Z70-200 f/2.8

1/125s

f/2.8

ISO25600@70mm.

0 EV  Spot lit

Z9A_8653BPN.jpg.4aff08010626f7eaea6e6f76639fd06b.jpg

Many rivers to cross

Escaping her greedy half brother from pinching her prized Dik Dik kill, Giza crosses a river rock bar and takes the final leap across to the other side eventually hauling it up a tree.

With a s/s of just 1/200s, this presented quite a challenge in securing any sort of sharp images, the Z400 gave me a hit ratio of around 50%.

I believe this could very well be the first recorded image of a melanistic (African) Leopard leaping across a river @ night with a kill.

Granted there are rumored to be only around 6 Black Leopard in all of Africa.

Nikon Z9

Nikkor Z 400TC f/2.8

1/200s

f/2.8

ISO7200

-1.67EV  Spot lit

Z9B_6940aBPN.jpg.be6d882d3112d0ab07a4f529eb81100c.jpg

The night huntress.

Nikon Z9

Nikkor Z70-200 f/2.8

1/125s

f/2.8

ISO8000@70mm.

-1EV  Spot lit

Z9A_7444BPN.jpg.999347848eb5a9676264571cadf1b36a.jpg

Cheers

Marc

Edited by africaaddict

Just amazing images. Thanks for sharing. 

Towlersonsafari

Goodness what a time you must have had1 splendid stuff indeed

wow wow wow is all I can say! Wow!

Simply both extraordinary and brilliant!

madaboutcheetah

😆 

there she is

africaaddict
1 hour ago, madaboutcheetah said:

😆

there she is

Your powers of observation Hari are simply amazing! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by africaaddict

madaboutcheetah

😆 

On 7/17/2023 at 3:45 PM, africaaddict said:

I believe this could very well be the first recorded image of a melanistic (African) Leopard leaping across a river @ night with a kill.

Haha. I think that is more than likely. 

Thanks for posting, Marc. That first one is the stuff of dreams, indeed. And just reward for patience and a plan.

So that thief is her half brother? Didn't realise, although I kind of wondered what the dynamic was since they were clearly somehow tolerant of each other. 

Even by your high standards Marc, you've excelled yourself here

africaaddict
2 hours ago, pault said:

Haha. I think that is more than likely. 

Thanks for posting, Marc. That first one is the stuff of dreams, indeed. And just reward for patience and a plan.

So that thief is her half brother? Didn't realise, although I kind of wondered what the dynamic was since they were clearly somehow tolerant of each other. 

Thanks Paul

The consensus in LWC is that this boy is likely her brother or half brother, most likely her half brother which is fortuitous in the mock mating that took part with this pair 3 months ago did  not take. He was eeking out an existence by stealing kills from Giza.

The troublesome male was very much on his last legs, with a serious hip/pelvic issue and sporting a tumorous growth between stomach and ribs and literally........dragging his rear right leg and was very easy to track in the morning, clearly showing the drag mark. He's now not been seen in the last month, and likely he's met his maker.

If ever there was a case for euthanasia, he would have been it, whist struggling to walk with his arched gait, one could hear him let out a slight groan with every stride, painful to witness. 

One of the last pictures taken of him, note the arched gait and tumor.:

Z9A_7637NS.jpg.6c12f9753228417881134c8ecc4bafbc.jpg

Edited by africaaddict