My Nat-Geo-Moments Safari

twaffle

samburumags

At last found someone who is going in September will our paths cross I wonder?

Thanks for the encouragement, Game Warden. We print and frame some of our best photos from trips and hang them all around the house, so we can re-live our trips that way as well. I suppose if we could do these things all the time, they wouldn't be nearly so special.

Samburumags, I don't know if we'll cross paths or not. Our time in Kenya is from 9/8/10 to 9/12/10 (1 night Nairobi, then Entim camp for 4 nights). After that we are in Northern Tanzania for a few days, then Southern Tanzania for 8 days. What is your plan?

samburumags

Sorry Ellie I am in Samburu on the 21st for 4 days and on to the Mara for 4 so I will miss you. Have a great time, Its amazing I cant find anyone to have a quick beer with!

I just loved reading this report, and your photographs are just wonderful too!

The leopard climbing the tree and the lion kill are simply wonderful and probably worth the whole trip, as are so many others! Your visual and detailed trip report really makes the season you went attractive!

I am now thinking of trying to get Serian instead of what we currently have, primarily because of a few of your comments, which were quite unique. Those being about keeping the already broken in and familiar guides, and the flexiblity along with the fly camp experience.

I'm sure you'll be hearing from me soon about camera equipment, as I will be upgrading what I currently have in the next month or two and will want to open a discussion on this topic.

Thx so much!

Thanks everyone, happy to answer any questions and would highly recommend Serian.

Brian's Art for Animals

twaffle..i can't believe i haven't checked out this post before..

wow..what an amazing trip and what amazing photos. Makes me want to give it all up right now. Excellent hyena and leopard sightings.. next time i go to kenya..i have to visit the Mara!

twaffle..i can't believe i haven't checked out this post before..

wow..what an amazing trip and what amazing photos. Makes me want to give it all up right now. Excellent hyena and leopard sightings.. next time i go to kenya..i have to visit the Mara!

Brian, horses for courses. You know that I, too, love Lewa but the Mara is very different. If I had time and money I would always cater for the two as I missed the Mara last time I just went to Lewa, and this time I really missed those northern beasties.

I actually, really like your video trip report and maybe one day I'll be able to do something similar. Bit beyond me at the moment though and I'd never thought of it.

Brian's Art for Animals

Yes, I think the perfect Kenya 2 week trip would be one at Lewa and the surrounding camps and then one in the Mara.

Don't know Sarara, but definitely Meru. Quite a trip it would be.

We're planning the next trip for you, Twaffle!

I'd like you to come with me, it would be fun! :P

How does Southern Tanzania sound? Or some tigers? Brown bears?

If you're up for another low season Serian, you've sure made that enticing.

Any and all. Southern Tanzania is prime but I'd have to meet you part way through because I wouldn't have time to fit Mahale and Serengeti in as well. But that wouldn't matter, I'm sure I could fly down directly from Dar. We would have fun, I think! :D

Then we could compete for the most outrageous trip report …

We could do a tag team report! First we have to arrange the trip. It just might happen some day.

Twaffle, I’ve read your report from start to finish. Wonderful! I don’t know how I could wait this long. I was feeling quite grateful for the topi pictures (self-centred as I am thinking ALL of them where especially for me) – until I saw the head that wasn’t attached to a topi! I was also upset by the hartebeest and the black-bellied bustard standing on termite mounds. The baby mongoose was a bit too cute.

You do have a picture of a black-headed weaver. It’s the one in the centre with an orange eye. Baglafecht has white eyes.

I’ve diagnosed the taxi drivers confusing their R’s and L’s as being Kikuyu.

There actually are safari goers that aren’t interested in going to the Mara … (don’t know what to say about them).

Thanks Nyamera for the added weaver information. I took so many and they were all in the same place, then my notes all became a muddle and … well it just gets too hard.

I did hesitate to post photos of anything on a termite mound other than a topi but hoped you'd forgive me given that I don't get to Kenya as often as you do, or for so long. :D

As for Caesar the lion, I did hear that he was seen the next day being chased by a herd of topis so I think they had their revenge! :D

You’re forgiven, Twaffle, even though I didn’t see a single topi this year. I do get to go to Kenya even when I don’t want to. I’m glad the topis did get some kind of revenge.

Twaffle, I had read about your trip on Fodors but loved reading it here where I could see your amazing photos. Great to feel a bit of what you experienced and see the beauty which you photographed so well. (I'm curious as to what was your go to lens with 7d but may find that on another thread.)

Thank you!

Thanks Sapphire, I kept the 70-200 on the 40D and the 300 prime on the 7D for most of the time.

Thanks for the info. I actually went to the photo threads and saw some of your deliberations about lenses, but wasn't sure what you ended up getting. Looks like your equipment worked out very well for you. Love the lighting and definition in your shots.

(I got the 50D before going to Alaska last July and wish I had the funds to add a 7D, as I hear that it is a great camera.)

Thanks again for the great trip report!

• 1 year later...

I just joined Safaritalk tonight, because I am an older lady who has longed to go on safari since I listened, as a child, to my uncle's tales of his East African safaris in the 1940's. But I've also always had a fascination with Egypt, and have been tossing up whether to visit Egypt or go on safari this coming January...I'd do both, but I think it might be physically beyond me now....but after reading this wonderful report, with the magnificent photos, my decision is made....it's Kenya and Tanzania for me!! Thank you Twaffles for the pleasure that reading your report has given me.

Game Warden

You all know what's coming next... Welcome gangurru: do you have any of your uncle's old photographs, cine film, diaries that you might be able to share with us? Matt

Thank you for the welcome Matt. No, unfortunately I don't have anything at all from my uncle, apart from memories, and a great love of Africa, I expect that he'd have left everything to my my cousins, but whether they still have it or not, I don't know, and we aren't really in contact.

samburumags

It depends on how much an "older lady" you are gangurru. I am an older lady as well but have been several times now to Kenya so if you want any information you have only to ask. A first safari should not be too taxing and there are easy ways and hard ways to travel, some more expensive than others. Please do not hesitate to ask for ideas and suggestions there are lots of folks on here who know lots of information which will be of help to you. Welcome to the forum

Atravelynn

Gangurru, check out Twaffle's most recent Kenya trip for more inspiration--Post cards from Kenya.

Nyamera, just like a topi to charge in out of nowhere with expert birding identification info!