SAFARI LEWA

Brian's Art for Animals

Brian's Art for Animals

Episode 9- Rhino Ears. A look at the excellent wildlife team at Lewa performing an ear notching on a white rhino.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian's Art for Animals

• twaffle

• Atravelynn

• Leely

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wonderful Brian, thanks again for posting them here.

• 2 weeks later...
Brian's Art for Animals

"Cat Night" I hope you all like it.

Night night cheetah bros.

Thanks Brian, this is really a very classy trip report.

• 4 weeks later...
Brian's Art for Animals

Soerry but it is a little grainy, as I took more than 2 weeks off of doing video stuff and forgot how to edit it for quality. I also forgot my password for safaritalk.. my mind is mush! That's what I get for trying to relax on my days off of work. Oh well.

Well, Mr Mush, another wonderful addition to your safari report. Did you do some sound editing after making the video? Never considered a trip to Samburu from Lewa, it doesn't sound like it took too long but was it worth the effort?

Forgetting your ST password … that will never do. No more relaxation for you! :P

Brian's Art for Animals

Sound editing is the worse part for many reasons. 1 being I hate public speaking, and 2 being that I have a commuter train track about 50 feet from my apartment. So I have to edit the "various train sounds" that always seem to come through when I am trying to make the room as quiet as possible. And a dog who barks and aphone that rings..so there aremany spots where i cut and paste the audio.Maybe I can hire a good radio person to do the speaking for me.. now there's a thought...

And Samburu is a 2 hour drive north of lewa. We leave at 5am and get there at 7 and usually leave to go back at 3-4pm ish.

I wish I could do 2 days there, it always seeems like a nice park.

I am playing with the idea of going back to Lewa in 2012?? not sure. my money is all gone these days.

Maybe if i promise to remember my Safaritalk password then Safaritalk international inc will send me free of charge to do these reports :P

Brian, I have it on good authority that many places will offer substantial discounts to well connected people who can promote their establishment. You have to ask and present your case (I haven't tried YET, but have spoken to people who have with great success). How many hits do you have on your Lewa DVDs? Can you contact a couple of places and provide the links to Youtube and to here? Perhaps you can look at fewer days at Lovely Lewa and go somewhere else as well, a place which might really want a video report much like the one you are doing here. Just some thoughts for you to consider. Make a short list of camps which really work with the community and play with some ideas to promote their camp then make your pitch. I'd do it myself but I'm no good with video at all … I'm pursuing some different ideas. :P

Brian's Art for Animals

Thanks for the advice. I am shy about asking for any discounts, but I guess i might just have to for future travels. My Lewa series is getting (after the video is up for 2 weeks or so) about 3,000-10,000 hits per video.

My dream is that all the videos in the series will reach 10,000 hits each. And of course if one video reached 50,000 or heck a million then that would bring good attention to the series. I bascially put them out there and hope for the best.

I will be going to the wildlife meca of Ireland in October and plan on visiting Dublin Zoo and Fota park in county cork. I will use my expenses those days to add to my tax write off..so i guess i got that going for me.

Thanks again to all of you checking out my videos. I appreciate it.

Brian, be brave but also start your networking at least a year before you plan to go on safari. Good luck in Ireland!

Brian's Art for Animals

You all can start losing respect for my bravenesss right now :)

Ha ha, haven't laughed so much in ages … poor Brian! :lol:

Poor mouse! I'm glad it ran safely away from the scary humans straight into the mouth of the puff adder.

I hope you don't have any other terrifying encounters with tent mice!

Brian's Art for Animals

A very cool day at a wonderful lodge. I wish I had better footage but I couldn't stop my hands from shaking.

If you have the time go to the video's description and check out the web links to some informative wild dog pages.

Brian, I've been waiting for your wild dog footage with some eagerness, what a lovely large pack of dogs. Although one looked lame, overall they looked very healthy apart from that. Il Ngwesi might 'kick ass' but so do your videos. I hope we still have a few to go.

Brian's Art for Animals

thanks. i think i should have about 7 more to go.

Love the video's Brian, in particular your courage in dealing with the Killer Mouse! Please pass my best wishes to your wife who cleary is made of stern stuff!

So pleased that you saw the Wilddog pack and that they are doing well in Lewa. Seeing them is a special experience and there is no doubt that filming with shaking hands is not easy, but the result was great.

Keep the videos coming and thanks for sharing them with us.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest safari-man

Post edited: please refer to the Forum Rules.

Notably:

If you are a tour operator, lodge manager, travel agency etc, you agree not to publicise your company, blatantly or otherwise. If it is considered that such a post goes against this, it will be edited and the member responsible be banned.

Brian's Art for Animals

Sorry, its been a while.

I moved from an apartment to a condo in late Aug and also went up to the Wildcat Sanctuary in MN, USA to film a short series "Safari Wildcat" which should start up next week? I have a few more Safari Lewa episodes that will be coming in the next few weeks. So sad its coming to an end, as I enjoyed looking back at my latest safari.

Another fantastic video Brian. When I'm in Lewa in January I will sing your praises and try to angle for a special, special discount for you. But don't hold your breath. ;)

I just love walking behind the Maasai, the way they sway and sashay, mesmerising! ;)

post-6341-1283709278_thumb.jpg

Hi Brian, I took this on a walk too, not brilliant photography I know but up close and intimate! Shimba Hills near Mombasa.

Brian's Art for Animals

Nice photo of the elephant. I wouldlove to do a walking photo safari once in stopping a little longer to really try to get a good shot.

T- have a great time at Lewa, and best of luck in seeing a leopard.

back to work i go...