Green Season Safari at Little Kwara

Alex The Lion

Game Warden

Can we move the more indepth photography talk to the appropriate forum so as not to hijack Russell's trip report. Thanks, Matt

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex The Lion

• cary999

• twaffle

• Jan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alex The Lion
Hi Russell,

Wow, I knew this would be good, but still I must say that the quality of your gameviewing is outstanding. And your photos aswell, such a pleasure to look at those cheetah-pictures.

How long will the cheetah-family stay together, they start to look quite big to me? And the seven lion brothers, have they split up now, or was it just temporary?

Thanks for sharing, really made this day a great one!

/Tom

Hi Tom,

No worries, glad you enjoyed it.

THe cheetah cubs are around 16 months now, I believe they leave their mother around the 2 year mark.

I have never seen the 7 brothers althougher. They seem to split into smaller groups to partol their territory.

Cheers,

Russell

Alex The Lion
Russell - my budget, sure, I don't mind discussing it nor any of the costs I've had for past safaris. When I make those two or three flights from California to Africa I must stay at least two weeks, prefer three, to feel like it has been worthwhile for me. You and others are so lucky to be able to just drop down from Europe, 10 hours, no time change/jet lag. Anyway, my budget this year would be around $6,000 plus air. And this year I'll' be solo so single supp has to be considered. $6,000 divide by 15 is $400 per night. This I can beat some and with special long stay rates and no single sup can do 15-18 nights in South Africa camps, Timbavati or Sabi Sand reserves, the best in SA. Your/anyone's comments and suggestion welcome.

Also-

Russell – I know the feeling of “do I really need another close up of a lion’s head, or, an elephant’s broadside”. Here’s how I keep my interest lighted for doing these. After our first safari (2005) in order to share photos and video clips with friends and family, I put together a DVD that plays on any TV (also PC/Mac). I now do a DVD for each safari. The DVDs are basically “this was our safari” and I hand/mail them out to anyone who is interested in seeing photos. And remembering the tedious 35mm vacation slide shows I have been obliged to sit through, the DVD is typically short, 20-40 minutes. I try to keep it moving, no endless series of still photos and no long (1 minute is long) video clips. It is primarily a photo album for us to re-play and remember.

Ok, fine, you say, so?? Well here’s the kicker, -every- photo on that years safari DVD was taken on that safari. No photos from previous years. Thus every safari I’m looking (again) for shots of elephants, giraffes, zebras, lions, all of them. And yes even impalas!!! For me its much like doing it for the first time and with the challenge of getting it even better if possible. If not a new great/definitive shot, than a very good one will do nicely for the new DVD. But we know how varied and serendipity wildlife and game drives are so there are always new photos. Also if you can get a bit interested in video, it will add another dimension to your photography. Especially the live sound. I know how you probably feel about video, I was weaned and schooled and first love was 35mm slides. So it was just a little tough to let video in :)

regards - tom

The budget could be a little tight, though I would check out the offers on here http://www.5riverssafari.com/regions.htm. Including internal flights, 11 days is around 4k.

At the end of the day though, it will always comes done to a private vehicle and your ability to be as flexible as possible. I am sure that you could try to negotiate over the single supplement.

Have you considered a mobile safari?

mobile safari - sure, just assumed it was as many $$$$ as camp. In fact would like to try mobile, have not been on one. Suggestions???

Agree single supp is likely negotiable depending on time of year, Private vehicle, sure, always wanted one :) Did you see twaffle's recent report on her safari in Jan to Kenya camp Serian?? Serian routinely provides private vehicle so she got one by herself and camp cost was around $500 per day!!!! She has many nice photos in that report and very detailed, well written. But I understand, Kenya is not Botswana.

I'm reading about 5 Rivers Safaris - haven't quite figured out if it is pitched to me the "client" or my TA. For instance says there ( http://www.5riverssafari.com/how.html ) -

"Therefore you as a retail agent will get in touch with the Tour Operator of your preference and work out the details of the safari best suited to your clients and the Tour Operator will price . . . etc ." Do you have any experience with them??

Also, when you have more time, hope you will tell me about how you color adjust/white balance as I asked above.

regards - tom

Alex The Lion

Hi Tom.

The mobiles vary in cost, depending on the level of luxury you want and the number of people on your trip.

With the water flowing into Savuti Marsh, a mobile that incorporates Khwai, Chobe and Moremi would offer you an excellent insight into Botswana. As a solo traveller, you may find it a little claustrophobic, as it will be just you and the guide 24/7.

The camps do offer an excellent product, but as you mentioned, not always in peoples price bracket. I appreciate what you get with Serian, though the Mara does not have the same mix of activities as you could get at Kwara. Game viewing wise, Kwara is certainly hard to beat, as it offers your full mix of predators.

I have no experience with the five rivers special, but you could alsways email Kwando and ask what the situation with booking such a trip is.

As for white balance, most of cheetah images i had to cool. i tend to just give it the colour I want.

Thanks russell.

Like you say, would not want to be 24/7 with only guide for 2 weeks. Sooner or later I'll get Carolyn to go with me, maybe. But you know, we sort of like being around camp with a small group, 4-6 others. (For game drives, 2-3 others is ok). Depends of course on the 4-6 others but generally I/we get along easily. Occasionally, like at Little Gov camp Kenya, the assigned vehicle/guide we shared with a couple from England and he was very much into photos, still shooting 35mm slides, with great Nikon kit. They were very willing to stay out all morning skipping camp breakfast. And that is when we found Honey and her three boys.

regards - tom

madaboutcheetah

Lovely report and pics, Russell ........

I do believe that the cheetah cubs are approx 14 months at the moment. They were about 2 months old last March.

The month of Feb saw as many as 12 different cheetah seen by the Kwara game drives. The family of 6, the 3 Tsum Tsum boys and also a female with two sub-adults (still skittish around vehicles).

The prediction is for gigantic floods this year in the Delta.

Alex The Lion
Lovely report and pics, Russell ........

I do believe that the cheetah cubs are approx 14 months at the moment. They were about 2 months old last March.

The month of Feb saw as many as 12 different cheetah seen by the Kwara game drives. The family of 6, the 3 Tsum Tsum boys and also a female with two sub-adults (still skittish around vehicles).

The prediction is for gigantic floods this year in the Delta.

Thanks, Hari.

So a September return could yield lots of adult cheetah in small pockets.

Agree with you on the flood, especially with the water table level. If the second spike is not as large, the flood may receed earlier than last year.

madaboutcheetah

Let's cross fingers for that, Russell.