Following the Waters of the Savute Channel

Alex The Lion

Atravelynn

PeterGermany, welcome to safaritalk!

I'll check in again later Russell when your next installment is posted.

Safaridude

Russell, your trip has inspired me to look into Savute for next March. Thanks. An excellent report.

Hi Russel,

Enjoyed your report and photos. Particualry to witness the waters of the Savuti channel enter the marsh. It is a historic moment. I will be there mid April and again in September. It may take time but I do hope the area can transform itself if only partially to the oasis it was pre 1981.

madaboutcheetah

Lovely pics, Russell. I shall lookforward to viewing all of your youtube videos this weekend. They are all fabulous, pics - but, my fav from the thread is the impala.

twaffle

Russell, have to say that I love your elephant photos as much as anything. I have yet to take a photo of an elephant which really pleases me.

Great photos, love the aerial ones.

Perhaps worth mentioning again that your shutter speed for the Carmine Bee eaters was 1/3200. I believe shutter speed (fast) is the single most important setting for sharp photos.

Looking forward to more report and photos, thanks

regards - tom

Alex The Lion
Hi Russel, I am really enjoying your trip report from Savute (as I am doing for all the reports from location where I have been over the years). Another chapter of the Savute area is unfolding here with the channel flowing again. I have been in Savute in September last year, in the middle of the dry season. For me it was a magical place, knowing about the history from several books and documentaries, esp. because of the high number of big bull elephants and their interaction on the few artificial water holes. And because of the lengendary Savute lions.

To that end it is great to hear that this pride is catching up in numbers again. The lion population has come down from not less than 6 lion prides in the early 80's, the famous elephant hunting pride of 30+ lions in the 90's, a pride of 12 lions until 2008, to a core group of 2 new males and 2 aged females from the original pride last year. There was another splinter group of the pride of 12 (after the take over of the 2 new males) in the area, an old male and a female with a sub-adult male.

Based on your report another female has joined the 2 males and the 2 females we saw in September last year. Is there any information you can share if this is the female we saw with the sub-adult male (and what happened to him).

We were lucky to witness the mating of the more dominant of the 2 males with one of the females (the one with the broken canine). I could well be that the 3 cubs are the result of this.

Thanks, Peter.

I believe that Savute will recover to have wildlife numbers of the 1980's. Lets hope the waters do not dry out too soon.

Enjoying your trip report, another Kwando fan here.

Alex The Lion
Lovely pics, Russell. I shall lookforward to viewing all of your youtube videos this weekend. They are all fabulous, pics - but, my fav from the thread is the impala.

Is that the flying/tree climbing impala?

Alex The Lion
Hi Russel,

Enjoyed your report and photos. Particualry to witness the waters of the Savuti channel enter the marsh. It is a historic moment. I will be there mid April and again in September. It may take time but I do hope the area can transform itself if only partially to the oasis it was pre 1981.

I don't think it will take that long, based on what we saw. It will only be predator numbers that will take a little longer. Though I am sure they will follow the herds!

Alex The Lion
Russell, have to say that I love your elephant photos as much as anything. I have yet to take a photo of an elephant which really pleases me.

Thanks, Twaffle.

There are so many elephants in Botswana that it is difficult not to get good shots, especially with the docile bulls of Savute.

Something wlse to consider is the better light you get in Southern Africa compared to the equatorial regions of east africa.

twaffle

Russell, I shall use the difficult equatorial light as my excuse, knowing that the reality is my inability to see the elephant in my viewfinder in interesting ways. Practise, practise!! :D

Atravelynn

Your elephant photography is impressive, but I am equally impressed with how you caught the splash of muddy water near the ele's mouth! Some wonderful lion cubs. And more great leopard opportunities.

africaaddict

Great report so far with some nice images Russell, looking forward to more.

Cheers

Marc

madaboutcheetah

Is that the flying/tree climbing impala?

That one too ......... :D - but, my reference was the impala in the mist/fog. You don't often see something that captures the moment like that picture!!!

Hari

PS: I'm guessing Milky Eye and the rest of the gang move up to the Savute Marsh eventually...........

• 2 weeks later...
Alex The Lion

I would like to apologize for the deleted images.

Due to copyright infringement, I will be asking GW to delete this trip report. I can't stand people trying to promote forums and websites based on my images.

This is not an infringement by safaritalk, but someone who appears to have copied my images from here.

Over the next couple of weeks, my images will be viewable again when I start my new website.

Game Warden

Hey Russell, what's happening? Please do shoot me a PM. Glad I got chance to see the images whilst they were up.

Matt