Termite mounds and Camel Thorn trees; Hangin' out with the "Boys of lagoon"; Cold Wintry air; All about Cheetah safari; and lots lots more

madaboutcheetah

A great trip, then?

Very nice to read about it!

Welcome back!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• madaboutcheetah

• Jan

• Atravelynn

• twaffle

madaboutcheetah
A great trip, then?

Very nice to read about it!

Welcome back!

Thanks, Kavey.

Have you completed your Serian visit already? or about to leave?

PeterGermany

Another great field report Hari.

Great to hear the pack of 4 wild dogs were successful in denning this year, 9 pups sound promising for the future of this pack. On the Lagoon Pack, are there 17 + pups ... or 17 incl the little ones?

Very productive cheetah year with regards to sightings ... hope by the next time you track down these cats up there you find some offspring of the amazing 3 brothers.

Looking forward to your pics.

Thanks, Kavey.

Have you completed your Serian visit already? or about to leave?

We're leaving later this month! Cannot WAIT!

Was a bit worried until yesterday, BAA, owner of many major European airports, were potentially going to have to close all their airports for the bank holiday weekend (last weekend of the month) due to strike action but seems that is averted, at least for that weekend. Otherwise our flight would almost certainly have been cancelled!

madaboutcheetah
Another great field report Hari.

Great to hear the pack of 4 wild dogs were successful in denning this year, 9 pups sound promising for the future of this pack. On the Lagoon Pack, are there 17 + pups ... or 17 incl the little ones?

Very productive cheetah year with regards to sightings ... hope by the next time you track down these cats up there you find some offspring of the amazing 3 brothers.

Looking forward to your pics.

Thanks, Peter. Yes 17 adults plus the 6 pups. Hope the puppies do well.

Agree. But, I'm curious of the Kwara female cheetah and her 4 grown cubs. It's almost time that they split up. The 6th cheetah, the Male which joined the family for about a year or nearly a year has now left and split up.

Sounds like a very exciting trip and I look forward to the photos.

Welcome back!

Hi Hari,

So glad you had a wonderful safari once again! Great to hear that L&L produced so many cheetah, never seen any of them, but it´s good to know they are there.

Did you get any information about the renovation of Lagoon, what style are they going for?

Looking forward to some pictures!

cheers,

Tom

madaboutcheetah

Thanks, Cheetah 80, Leely and Tom.

Hi Tom,

I am told the whole place is going to be re-done and a complete make over. I didn't specifically ask, but, I'm guessing similar to Lebala.

Cheers

Hari

Edited by madaboutcheetah

Ok, thanks Hari for the info. I still hope for a little more low-key renovations, but I guess you are right. Great to hear that Lebo and Keone still run the place. They are such great hosts and run the camp with such great atmosphere. Hope to visit them soon!

Wow, Lagoon pack up to 23 dogs, that´s so good news!

/Tom

madaboutcheetah
Ok, thanks Hari for the info. I still hope for a little more low-key renovations, but I guess you are right. Great to hear that Lebo and Keone still run the place. They are such great hosts and run the camp with such great atmosphere. Hope to visit them soon!

Wow, Lagoon pack up to 23 dogs, that´s so good news!

/Tom

Hi Tom,

Agree with you completely in that they are both great hosts.

Regards

Hari

Good report and what a great trip, Hari. Sounds nearly perfect (except for the photographers perhaps) and I'm really looking forward to it being "pictorialised" later - hopefully that's what all the separate posts are for, but perhaps I misunderstand.

Edited by pault

madaboutcheetah
Good report and what a great trip, Hari. Sounds nearly perfect (except for the photographers perhaps) and I'm really looking forward to it being "pictorialised" later - hopefully that's what all the separate posts are for, but perhaps I misunderstand.

Hi Paul,

I don't really care about stupid people - they are easy to ignore and forget..... but, it's disgusting when people travel to other places and disrespect what they have and the wildlife.

Will work on my pics later on when I get my computer sorted out.

Cheers

Hari

Welcome back Hari.

You good fortune continues with your safaris.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks, Dik Dik

22!!???

On a sad note, that may be a calculatable percentage of the total cheetahs in Botswana. Let's hope those 22 survive and produce more. It's good they have an environment in which that is possible.

madaboutcheetah

I think they do fare well in Botswana, Lynn.

Here's the break down of the 22 (mostly male cheetahs)

Kwara

1.) Female cheetah with 4 grown cubs (3 female, 1 male); they were joined by 1 male

2.) Another shy female cheetah with 2 grown cubs (they were skittish so no idea about them). Jan saw these animals too in her March visit.

3.) Coalition of 3 males - the Tsum Tsum boys

CKGR

Single male and single female (Deception Valley)

Coalition of 2 males (passarge valley)

Lebala/Lagoon

Coalition of 2 males

Coalition of 3 males

Female cheetah (new animal not seen many times before, so goes to say there are lots more around)

They are around - just need to be TRACKED down and found.

Thanks for the breakdown. I wish them all luck and successful hunting.

I love it when you can do cheetah breakdowns after a trip - or even after two trips! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Not enough females in this breakdown.

Is Hector back @ Lebala or was he just helping out?

Thomas

madaboutcheetah

Hector is back at lebala!!!

madaboutcheetah

Thomas,

Forgot to say - up at Lagoon there is a new guide Balli who has a lot of potential. He is willing to spend time tracking animals, explain to guests that it's in their interest to stay out with hunting cheetahs etc etc., the look on their face when the boys killed impala was just fantastic!!!

Priceless information, Hari. Really looking forward to your pictures when your computer decides to cooperate. I didn't even know there were sable and roan in those areas!

Gosh, all of you are a treasure trove of information. Thanks for sharing.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks, Sangeeta.

Thanks Hari,

looks like there´s a lot guiding potential @ Lebala with Spencer, Thabo & Hector, not to forget Charles if he´s guiding.

This November it will be Lebala and Kwara for us and unless I´m winning in the lotterie no PV. Oh, I think it´s time to play in the lotterie :)

Hope not to be stuck all the time with 6 in the car.

Thomas

Hari, welcome back and congratulations on the cheetah sightings. I just wish they could leave the tsessebes alone.