Lucky dry weather safari amidst a "wet" Botswana.

madaboutcheetah

Hari-welcome back. It's is always great to get your perspective of how things (animals/landscapes) change being a frequent visitor. You may remember several months ago you gave me some advice on the Kwando camps via PM. I am heading there in mid-June for my first trip to Botswana. The already high waters, with more on the way, is starting to concern me. I am still set to spend 4 nights at Little Kwara to start things off. In your opinion, based on what you just experienced, do you think game viewing/drives is going to be severely restricted? I don't want to be on a loop for four days. If you were me would you consider dropping LK for another camp?

I don't want to hijack your trip report so I will start a separate thread in Safari Talk. Looking forward to your pictures and any other words of wisdom you may have.

Thanks,

Paul

madaboutcheetah

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comments. I remember your planning questions that you had asked me via pm awhile ago and glad your trip planning is well underway.

I also saw your post on the other thread. I would think you will be restricted by the road network in June at kwara. I'd say do lagoon for 4 , lebala 3 and lk for 3. You still need to experience the delta if it's your first time to botswana. Lagoon, the dogs may be ready to den, although the puppies may not be coming out as yet. At kwara, you won't be able to access some very good predator rich areas, bur, you might still see lions etc., on your drives

Hope this helped

Hari

madaboutcheetah
Seems Hari brought with him dry weather in Bots. According to www.fews.net , during the period Jan 21 - Feb 19, the eastern half of Bots recorded about a 100mm rainfall deficit. Apparently, the dryness to continue for awhile more.

Times are changing for sure. So dynamic. So interesting.

Thanks for the report, Hari.

Just heard from Alwyn who is back to Maun. The rains are back!!!

madaboutcheetah

gallery_308_26_1544856.jpg

Image from Kwara. Sorry, slow with working on the pictures

richardafrica

Hari, thanks for sharing. I was planning on getting back to Africa in late March, but that has unfortunately changed now to September (work!!!). Thus I must live through everyones trip reports.

BTW, have you been to the Kwando camps in mid Sept? Wet that time of year?

madaboutcheetah

Hi Richard,

Yes, likely some delta areas will still be wet from the floods.

Richard,

Like it looks now certain areas will be permanently flooded. In September, you normally have fires burnin' and prices are ridiculously high.

So my advice, go in November or early December to the Kwando camps if work permits. ;)

richardafrica

Thanks Johan. Are you the same Johan who left an excellent book of photos at Lebala Camp?

Hi, Richard,

That's me. Glad you liked the photos.

Ciao,

Johan

madaboutcheetah
Unfortunately no news on the female cheetah, Johan. No one has seen her in a very long time ..... I've asked everyone this question of her whereabouts a million times!!! all i get is ..... "hope she is okay". Even no news from the Selinda.

Thanks, Safaridude.

http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/news/cam...?newsItem=22979

WOW ........ my eyes just popped wide open reading the latest Zarafa newsletter. It does appear that the legendary female cheetah is well and around. Probably staying out of harm with the cubs in new grounds???? PRAYERS PRAYERS PRAYERS ........ or it could be an entirely different animal. Who knows....

Edited by madaboutcheetah

We seem to be welcoming you back quite frequently, Hari. You and we both timed our trips quite well (luckily) around the worst of the rain it seems. Who got caught I wonder? Sounds like a good time again.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks, Paul.

madaboutcheetah

http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/news/cam...?newsItem=23018

Savuti newsletter has further news updates of the other Southern cheetah coalition (2 brother coalition that frequented Lebala/Selinda/Savuti).

Edited by madaboutcheetah

Hari,

How wonderful you had such a good time with your relatives. Seeing everything through their eyes as first timers had to be fun. You may have acquired some traveling mates for the future.

You deserved a prompt depature on Air Botswana after the fiasco on arrival flight. What a pain for all of you.

Thanks for the word on the female cheetah.

Five male lions would be a great sight. The most I've seen is three together.

Somewhere in Kwara should be a baboon with hair that's silky and shiny, if he knew what to do with the shampoo.

madaboutcheetah

Hi Lynn,

How are you? Yes, was awesome travelling with them - got to be a first timer again and one of my highlights was watching a largish herd of impala ...... then, noticed a fawn that was seperated and a mother trying hard to find him/her who was trying hard to hide in the tall grass. Fascinating stuff ......... they did re-unite 45 minutes later!

I have lots of hope the female cheetah is doing well - newsletter on the WS website sounds very positive.

It always appears like they have new visa formalities or rules or regualtions every time ...... keeps everyone on their toes!!! all of this makes Air Bots look extremely customer friendly and professional in comparison :D

• 4 weeks later...
madaboutcheetah

Apparently, the Kwara airstrip is back operational and up and running ........

• 4 weeks later...
madaboutcheetah

Thank You to Sri Sethuram for the footage ........... "boys of Lagoon" cheetah coalition take down an adult Male Red Lechwe

Feb 8, 2011

Game Warden

What a cracking sighting Hari. Bet the adrenaline was up after this one, and no doubt was much discussed over dinner...

But strange that the cheetahs had so poor killing skills.

madaboutcheetah

Part 2 of the video ...... continued

NOTE: some graphic footage here ......

madaboutcheetah
But strange that the cheetahs had so poor killing skills.

Maybe these cheetahs are still relatively young. In 1997 I saw Mombo's legendary Steoid Boys (two btothers) bringing down a kudu, and they seemed far more effective.

Thanks, All ..... the cheetah although young, are not too young and inexperienced. They are Killing machines!!! Yes, this is a sloppy effort ...... reason being, for many years they were possibly (?) operating inside the woodlands of the Kwando concession. They only started to pop out into the open areas, game drive routes and flood plains after the previous coalition (the mighty blood brothers) were coming down to their end ...... this being said, they perhaps are inexperienced with their Lechwe killing skills. They are used to impala, Tsessebe, Kudu, Ostritch and the like ........ I saw them kill an adult Tsessebe before and that appeared far easier than this!!! Also note, the big letchwe ram has sharp horns and is a fiesty beast!!!!

Nice footage of the hunt, the Lechwe was a tough cookie!

Enjoyed the insightful discussion on Botswana along with your report.

TFS

Shreyas

madaboutcheetah

Thanks, Shreyas.