Botswana Delivers in the Green Season Again

Pangolin

Pangolin, in Feb last year was told by my guide friend that the Elephants don't disappear into the mopane anymore after the rains begin. Apparently, due to all the permanent water around they tend to stay around through the year (although the dry season numbers aren't as high as before)?

That looks like the one remaining member of the Selinda coalition? The other I think was killed by rival males in Kings Pool (by Romeo - brother of Milky Eye).

You are correct - this lion's partner was indeed killed by the brother of Milky Eye. We'll see him soon at Duma Tau.

Edited by Pangolin

Turns out we were a bit unlucky for a while with dogs. The Selinda pack was seen almost every day we were at Selinda, but they were way over by Zarafa and heading away from us, so we didn't try to see them. Our luck eventually changed, though, when the Kwando pack ambled through.

gallery_5746_557_267506.jpg

We found them near the Selinda spillway not far from where we saw the leopard. We were able to keep up with them for about 30 minutes before they disappeared into the brush. Not a lot of action here, but the Linyanti pack made up for that later. It was still nice having dogs on the scorecard though.

Some other Selinda sightings...

Continuing the frog and small things safari:

gallery_5746_557_212928.jpg

gallery_5746_557_264168.jpg

This one is cool....

gallery_5746_557_362924.jpg

We had some ominous weather:

gallery_5746_557_3616.jpg

We saw a lilac breasted roller do some fancy acrobatics to escape from this falcon:

gallery_5746_557_120737.jpg

and a red crested korhan did his display flight for us while all the girls swooned

gallery_5746_557_209270.jpg

• 1 month later...

Knock, Knock....Anybody in there?Mr Pangolin? .....Mrs Pangolin?We are waiting :)

They are kindly waiting for me to catch up.

Okay, I'm caught up now. Thank you and please continue - the list of sightings is impressive, especially as you started with the best. The weather looks challenging but it seemed to work out well.

Yes come now Pangolin, your latest update is somewhat tardy in its publication...

Okay, okay. I hear you. I lost my mojo for a while with all the Botswana-related distractions, but i'll carry on to the Duma Tau/Savuti portion of the trip.

Stay tuned, and thanks for caring.

madaboutcheetah

Look forward, Pangolin ......... Thank You for your report and shall eagerly await the rest of it.