Show us your warthogs...

Game Warden

Peter Connan

If anybody ever wanted to go on a safari just to see warthog, the Pongolo /game Reserve might just be the place to go.

These were all taken in a space of two days.

post-24763-0-74109100-1427907557_thumb.jpg

post-24763-0-42782000-1427907578_thumb.jpg

post-24763-0-87424000-1427907591_thumb.jpg

post-24763-0-27813800-1427907632_thumb.jpg

post-24763-0-35334200-1427907660_thumb.jpg

Christopher Moran

Not an esp. good photo, but it does show some character of what is probably my fav. African animal..

post-8191-0-16748400-1427941263_thumb.jpg

Edited by Christopher Moran

Seniortraveller

I'm watching you!

post-39391-0-52508500-1427985580_thumb.jpg

@@Peter Connan great pix of one my favourite small animals. they are such difficult subjects to take a pix of but i'll always think of them fondly with their tails upright as they show me their vanishing bums. I get the bum treatment very often. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kitsafari

Peter Connan

Thank you @@Kitsafari.

When we were little, there was a television series here called Chips, about the exploits of a couple of motorbike cops in the California Highway Patrol. Warthogs always reminded us of these police motorcycles with the tails resembling eariels.

post-49296-0-58083500-1428081929_thumb.png

~ Asante sana to @@Peter Connan, @@Seniortraveller, and @@Christopher Moran for their warthog images.

As @@Christopher Moran said, they do tend to be a favorite safari animal.

Great image variety, @@Peter Connan.

For you, @@Kitsafari, a few Phacochoerus africanus with tails up.

post-49296-0-99055000-1428082301_thumb.jpg

Photographed in Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya, on 7 February, 2014 at 3:08 pm, with an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super telephoto lens.

ISO 100, 1/2500 sec., f/2.8, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

Game Warden

You can quote someone's text by simply copying and pasting the text into your post and then highlighting and clicking the quote icon.

Or by just clicking the quote tab at the bottom right of the post.

Matt

You can quote someone's text by simply copying and pasting the text into your post and then highlighting and clicking the quote icon.

~ Like this?

Thanks, @ Game Warden.

I'm sorry that I didn't do it correctly. I appreciate your guidance on how to best utilize the site tools.

I'll make a point of quoting elsewhere to become accustomed to it.

Tom K.

• 1 month later...
Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-41983900-1433233646_thumb.jpg

Landscape with Traveler

Photographed at 4:07 pm on 7 February, 2014 in Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 100, 1/320 sec., f/2.8, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*****************************************************************************************************

Why does a solitary Phacochoerus africanus, Common Warthog, project a certain nobility of character? It possesses no prepossessing comeliness of feature.

Nor is it the strongest or swiftest of savanna denizens. Yet in its jaunty stance, there's a streak of independence which elicits both sympathy and admiration.

• 1 month later...
Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-17934400-1436006779_thumb.jpg

Blue Sky Reflection

Photographed at 8:03 am on 29 April, 2014 in Samburu National Reserve, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 200, 1/1600 sec., f/5, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*****************************************************************************************************

While Samburu's landscape itself has few blue tones, the sky overhead is typically clear and hence exuberantly blue, as shown in the reflection on the water surface.

A quiet visitor enjoying a thirst-quenching drink brought together earth, sky, water and green plants, the basic components of life for most mammals.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone remember Daniel Day Lewis running in the opening scene in "The Last of the Mohicans"? This is NOT him, but …. Arusha National Park

gallery_49445_1312_1201216.jpg

• 2 months later...

@@Tom Kellie I have only just seen this (post #31) ! thank you kindly for the tails-up. just amazed how stiff those tails can be.

Edited by Kitsafari

• 2 weeks later...

We saw plenty of warthogs with hoglets in Kafue.

The guides said this was sign that the rains were imminent.

post-43899-0-92467500-1444232400_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

post-49296-0-25197300-1448297490_thumb.jpg

Sabi Sands Warthog

Photographed at 5:44 pm on 1 October, 2015 in Leopard Hills, Sabi Sands, South Africa, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 200mm f/2.8L II telephoto lens.

ISO 640, 1/1600 sec., f/2.8, 200mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

This image is posted especially for @@Kitsafari, due to the warthog's upraised tail. It was the first mammal species I saw in South Africa, during the initial game drive in Leopard Hills.

Uncertain as to what might work best, I'd brought several lenses, including the ultra-reliable EF 200mm f/2.8L II which had been on my first-ever safari in Kenya in 2011.

The warthog was mildly curious, trotting along, glancing at us, before continuing on its way in the light brush. The context where it was observed is shown in the branches, shrubs and grass.

Edited by Tom Kellie

Thanks @@Tom Kellie - a picture to warm my heart on a freezing morning in the air-con office!

typical warthog stance - bum to the camera and tail up. but i like how he (assuming it is a he!) is framed by the two intertwined branches above him and the green leaves providing a soft contrast.

• 4 weeks later...

post-49296-0-06045700-1450765510_thumb.jpg

Female Warthog in Sabi Sands

Photographed on 2 October, 2015 at 5:28 pm in Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve, Sabi Sands, South Africa with an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 200mm f/2.8L II telephoto lens.

ISO 125, 1/1000 sec., f/2.8, 200mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

****************************************************************************************************

~ Seldom has any warthog strolled by my vantage point with such utter indifference, unhurried and seemingly unconcerned with the clicks of snapping camera shutters.

What especially interested me was observing her hooves at close range. She walked with casual delicacy, not in any sense stomping or plodding along.

• 4 weeks later...

post-49296-0-14891300-1452858511_thumb.jpg

Smiling Warthog

Photographed at 4:54 pm on 2 May, 2015 in Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 800, 1/800 sec., f/5, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

During half a dozen visits to Masai Mara I'd never before encountered such a relaxed warthog. Despite the safari van being not far away, there were no signs of skittishness.

It mouth had a moderately close imitation of a smile. Eating flowers and grass, the warthog's unruffled demeanor established a cheerful mood which continued throughout the safari.

• 1 month later...
Peter Muigai.

Date: 17/02/2016

Camera:Nikon D3200

Lens: 80-400mm MF

I was on an evening game drive and the light was amazing at around 0615hrs. I usually try and take a photo of any animal when the golden light starts creeping in coz the light is always so colorful to loose.

This warthog came and posed on the perfect side of the light as if he knew what I was looking for, to my surprise I pulled out my camera pointed it towards him and he didn't move at all like they usually do! I took some photos and left him standing at the same place, seem like he enjoyed being photographed with the golden light.

Peter Muigai.

Date: 17/02/2016

Camera:Nikon D3200

Lens: 80-400mm MF

I was on an evening game drive and the light was amazing at around 0615hrs. I usually try and take a photo of any animal when the golden light starts creeping in coz the light is always so colorful to loose.

This warthog came and posed on the perfect side of the light as if he knew what I was looking for, to my surprise I pulled out my camera pointed it towards him and he didn't move at all like they usually do! I took some photos and left him standing at the same place, seem like he enjoyed being photographed with the golden light.

post-49772-0-03440000-1456593832_thumb.jpeg

~ @@Peter Muigai.

The back-story behind the image is especially valuable.

Knowing the context of any wildlife photograph increases its value.

Thank you for sharing such an excellent image!

It's a joy to have a working safari guide sharing images from his private collection!

Tom K.

post-48344-0-73474900-1456793265_thumb.jpg

post-48344-0-90648000-1456793492_thumb.jpg

The first warthog in South Luangwa gave us a look and about 5 seconds of posing but in complete contrast the lower warthog shot was taken in 2005 in Queen Elizabeth in a campsite in Uganda. So habituated by tourists after helping himself to water out of the laundry ladies basket he proceeded to have a nap with only a glance in my direction from about 20 feet away.

Peter Connan

@@dlo, that South Luangwa warthog is a stunning photo!

Outside of tent #8 at Kichwa Tembo near the Mara Triangle. I don't know why the picture posted sideways but you get the picture that you can have company at inconvenient moments...

post-5263-0-57013100-1456878161_thumb.jpg

@@dlo, that South Luangwa warthog is a stunning photo!

Peter thanks for the compliment, coming from you that really means a lot. My wife was very happy to hear you liked it and ordered an immediate thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Chobe Clive

In the interests of keeping the hogs rolling - here's one from Chobe yesterday

post-17765-0-17631500-1459233435_thumb.jpg