A RETURN TO BARINGO & BOGORIA

Rainbirder

I'm in regular contact with Ben (weekly); he now has his own vehicle but business is currently slack and I'm sure that he would jump at the chance to work for old friends (I mean old young friends! :) ). Let me know if you want me to mention anything or if you want his Email.

I don't know if Ben ever mentioned his school ( the one in his backyard!). If you are ever near Naivasha it is worth a visit (it is on the western edge of the Aberdares above Naivasha town) -this is ultimately where his tips and a fair bit of his salary end up. He keeps this philanthropic work quiet but it's hard not to be very impressed with what he and his wife are doing!

Unfortunately the well being of the school is rather dependent on Ben getting regular work and the decline of ESS has been a bit of a disaster for him with potential new opportunities yet failing to materialise.

I have Ben's business card from two years ago. His full name @yahoo.com? I'll send him an email if that address is still accurate. Thanks, Rainbirder.

We visited these Lakes in September 2010 and the pictures bring back so many memories. The pictures are beautiful and you have done a superb job of giving just enough info to tie them all together. Thank you very much!

• 1 month later...
Atravelynn

Youare the master of the bird(s) photos and not bad at turning a clever phrase--kleptomaniac chelonian.

Jaw dropping flamingos!

Here's one more thumbs up for Ben as a guide.

Rainbirder

Youare the master of the bird(s) photos and not bad at turning a clever phrase--kleptomaniac chelonian.

Jaw dropping flamingos!

Here's one more thumbs up for Ben as a guide.

Thanks Lynn!

If you ever get the chance it is worthwhile visiting Ben's school -there are few that can boast running a community school in their backyard! This is where his tips and much of his salary goes! :)

Atravelynn

A visit to his school is #1 on any return to Kenya that I can pull off. By the way, Rainbirder, did you ever find that Crowned Eagle?

Game Warden

Tell us more about the school please Rainbirder: perhaps something we as Safartitalkers can help out with?

Rainbirder

Hi Lynn,

The school is well worth a visit.

I have seen Crowned Eagles before but have never managed to get any reasonable photographs and certainly nothing like your excellent images!

The quest continues...... :unsure:

Hi GW,

I need to get hold of some photographs from Ben; then I could write up a small piece about the school. B)

Atravelynn

Ben's love for the school and the children was evident. But you are right that he does not push these activities. We were well into the safari before he even mentioned it. It came up when I said I wanted to visit a school during our trip and donate some supplies bought along the way and/or $$. I asked Ben if he knew of a good school for that. That's when he explained about his school, which did not happen to be on our route. That's where my donation went.

If you write up the school, Rainbirder, include some times/distances to help make planning a visit there easier.

I am sorting through some flamingo photos I took from India, which I'll stick in a report. But now I'll have to add a disclaimer and and put in a link to your pink collages for those wanting some real flamingo action. Was Ben as mesmerized as you were, or is this sort of thing something he sees routinely?

Amazing photos Rainbirder, a pleasure to look at. I am excited about my first safari in June and will be at the lakes, though I am a rank amateur so my photos are bound to be very pedestrian in comparison.

• 2 months later...

Just got back from my first safari, visited Baringo and Bogoria, and although I had a marvellous time in both places, there were not very many flamingos at all, nor were they at Naivasha.....doe anyone know where they are at present?

• 1 month later...

"Lake Nakuru water rise prompts flamingo exit" reports www.wildlifeextra.com

August 2012. A million flamingos have temporarily moved from Lake Nakuru to Lake Bogoria leaving behind just a few hundred owing to a reduction in their food supply.

To read the full article click here.

Now's the time to visit Lake Bogoria...

gatoratlarge

Just amaziNg pics....love the flamingos, the last fish eagle shot is just breathtaking. Fantastic!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Super Stunning!! I must go there!! :D Thanks so much for sharing! :D

Love the field photos, so funny that I spent 3 days there and saw none of the birds apart from flamingoes and fish eagle. Great set of images and proves my point in another post of mine that when you are focused on your subject you see everything. Scatter gun shooting and not taking your time gets you ok results, unlike the images you have collected for us which are quite lovely.

• 1 month later...

Mr Garvie - Raconteur Extraordinaire

Your narrative story-telling skills (not to mention photographic skills) leave me in awe, and with lifted spirits, Sir. Were you channeling Rabbie Burns, or do you have the Bard's DNA in you by any chance? What nice turns of phrase you have. And those semi-alliterative and humourous gems, and I quote:

".. cackling cacophony was interspersed with demented raucous honking"

".. cavorting flatulent pachyderms persisted"

".. kleptomaniac chelonian"

Hah!

[Health warning - further effusive praise coming up. Avert your eyes if they might cause a sudden flush to the cheeks!]

What a joy to read. And that description of what you beheld with that sea of flamingos - you almost did not have to post any pictures. And I can only dream. What gifts you have and have gifted us.

You have set the bar high, certainly too high for me. I think I'll just slink back to lurking :ph34r: in awe from now on :D

[As you can see, I have to resort to emoticons :rolleyes:]

Rgds,

John

• 5 months later...
michael-ibk

Unbelievably beautiful pictures! Not only the incredible flamingo scenery, but all of it - especially the waterbuck, the purple heron, the fish eagle, the scops owl, red and yellow barbet, the senegal thick-knee and the Kudus! The level of detail and intensity in your pictures is breathtaking. A feast for the eyes. You, Sir, are a master, and I bow low to your skill.

Or in simpler words: Great Stuff! :)

Unbelievably beautiful pictures! Not only the incredible flamingo scenery, but all of it - especially the waterbuck, the purple heron, the fish eagle, the scops owl, red and yellow barbet, the senegal thick-knee and the Kudus! The level of detail and intensity in your pictures is breathtaking. A feast for the eyes. You, Sir, are a master, and I bow low to your skill.

Or in simpler words: Great Stuff! :)

Many thanks!

You're making me blush! ;)

I'm just a lucky amateur with a steady hand and a tolerant wife.

Your photos are very professional, but I won't dispute the tolerance of your wife. :D