A picture a day.

Game Warden

Guest sniktawk

My ( and I mean me as neither the guide or tracker spotted it) first sighting on January 1st 2009 was a wild dog!

It was suggested that this would bring me good luck for the rest of the year what do you think?

gallery_5074_92_4566.jpg

It may mean good luck but the image which came up on my computer looked like no wild dog I've ever seen before!

Guest sniktawk

How true, I do hope that this is not a bad start to another year of misunderstanding my posts!

The Wild Dog sighting will follow later!

Snik, he's a magnificent creature. Look forward to seeing the New Year's Day dog.

snik,

I think I have it, so the dog started your good luck last year in Kwando, when and where did the bear luck come in?

Great shots of both I might add.... :D

snik,

I did read your trip report and along with the additional bear photos, thanks for the link, they were wonderful!

Guest sniktawk
snik,

I did read your trip report and along with the additional bear photos, thanks for the link, they were wonderful!

Thanks again, 2009 was a mighty interesting year I only hope we can do half as well this year!

I've been going through photos of my Sep 2009 trip to Tanzania and *trying* to write up a trip report (my pocket notebook was reduced to a Rorschak ink blot by a downpour in the final days of the trip, hence the delay...).

This was interesting... Taken at Mahale Mountains National Park (Nkungwe Lodge). Is he doing what I *think* he's doing? In any event, I love his relaxed attitude and the expression on his face...

post-5124-1262494613_thumb.jpg

Some might think this is a particularly astute chimp...?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
madaboutcheetah

It looks like an icicle? Btw, Ken ....... how did you manage in all that cold weather for weeks?

• 4 weeks later...
BonitaApplebum

I took this photo on Christmas Day, 2008. My wife and I enjoyed our honeymoon on safari in Tanzania. This was the balloon ride we took over the Serengeti. The photo was taken with a Sony A700 and Zeiss 24-70.

3214566680_22680af367.jpg

BonitaA, sensational photo. Love the mood you've achieved and the sky is stunning. I would crop out the road at the bottom but that is just a small thing.

Alex The Lion

Great shot. Would Echo twaffle's comment.

BonitaApplebum

Thanks for the comments!

I certainly agree re: cropping the road out. Unfortunately, I found that if I wanted to keep the same aspect ratio I didn't have enough room to work with to keep the composition pleasing. Ever have those moments in photography when you didn't notice a small detail like that until you got home? Ah well!

BonitaA, why do you want to keep the aspect ratio the same? I think it would be a much stronger image cropped from the bottom and changing the ratio to a more panoramic one.

BonitaApplebum
BonitaA, why do you want to keep the aspect ratio the same?

Just my personal preference! I'm a sucker for an 8x12.

:rolleyes:

:D

Aaaah, we shall make it our mission to develop (pun intended) your appreciation for more than just 8x12! :rolleyes:

BonitaApplebum

:D

Aaaah, we shall make it our mission to develop (pun intended) your appreciation for more than just 8x12! :rolleyes:

Hey! I've got a 24x36 on my wall too! :D

• 2 weeks later...
BonitaApplebum

Here's a shot I took at sunrise from the Ngorongoro Crater Lodge in Tanzania. I woke up to light peeking through the curtains and as I stood up, stretched, and made my way to the window to take it all in, I was awestruck. I'm sure all of you who have had the pleasure of staying along the rim of the Crater have enjoyed the beauty of scenery as it stretches out before you.

I threw on some clothes, grabbed the camera/tripod and raced along the front of the lodge until I found a clearing with a view I was happy with. I must have looked crazy to the staff milling about at 6am. Ah well, it's one of my favourite shots from the trip so I don't mind.

3170150964_6a082b32a4_b.jpg

Beautiful!

Not sure about the aspect ratio!!! :o:D:)

Bonita - is this an HDR type shot? It's got that kind of look about it. Either way - beautiful. What a view to wake up to :D

BonitaApplebum
Bonita - is this an HDR type shot? It's got that kind of look about it. Either way - beautiful. What a view to wake up to :)

Whorty1970,

You're right, it's a 4 exposure shot.

And Twaffle, keep your mitts off my aspect ratio! :D

• 3 weeks later...
BonitaApplebum

Where's everyone else's photos? I see such wonderful pictures in the trip reports.

3197897631_74cea477fb_b.jpg

Vervet monkeys were definitely my favourite animal on safari. Odd to think, I suppose, considering all the amazing animals we saw. But the vervet monkey is just so full of personality you couldn't help but be charmed.