A picture a day.

Game Warden

madaboutcheetah
Great, as always, Russell.

Jan

Ditto...

Alex The Lion

Thanks, Hari & Jan.

One more for you, a male lion from Kwara.

BotswanaRaw-581.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Russell,

Haha.. Good idea to pan blur that particular male lion ....... hey, can we see the version in color, please?

Hari

Edited by madaboutcheetah

Russell... Is that only pan blur, or did you zoom as well? The "ghost" mouth seems bigger.

Alex The Lion

Thanks all.

Pault, it is a pan blur only.....luck more than anything. :P

• 4 weeks later...

this wouldn't win any awards...I couldn't believe how quickly this lion wrangled with the wildebeest. She was all alone with no one else to help and the wildebeest escaped relatively unharmed in the end.

IMG_7268Large.jpg

Now Russell dont laugh at little ignorant me but can I pan blur as you put it with my Canon digi Power Shot or is it only possible with one of your multi £££££££££££ camera's?

Would love to see Russell's pictures, but they show up on my computer as "password protected images" and I can't view them. :D

well, for some reason, today I can see Russell's pictures! If you did something to fix it, thanks Matt. Otherwise I guess I'll just thank the computer fairies. :angry:

Samburumags... As a poorman's replacement for Russell..... If you can get blurry out of focus shots by accident, you can also do it deliberately! Your camera may try to compensate for camera movement so ideally if you can turn any stabilisation function it has "off" it might be better. And you need a slow enough shutter speed to pan with - maybe 1/8 of a second or something - you can experiment. If you can't work that out, don't worry, just do it in the evening when all you shots are coming out blurry anyway - when there is a kind of halo around your subjects... lions with ghost noses and stuff. Know what I mean? Just make sure you have it set so the flash doesn't pop up and go off.

For full receommended settings and techniques you can do a net search.

Samburumags... As a poorman's replacement for Russell..... If you can get blurry out of focus shots by accident, you can also do it deliberately! Your camera may try to compensate for camera movement so ideally if you can turn any stabilisation function it has "off" it might be better. And you need a slow enough shutter speed to pan with - maybe 1/8 of a second or something - you can experiment. If you can't work that out, don't worry, just do it in the evening when all you shots are coming out blurry anyway - when there is a kind of halo around your subjects... lions with ghost noses and stuff. Know what I mean? Just make sure you have it set so the flash doesn't pop up and go off.

For full receommended settings and techniques you can do a net search.

Thanks Pault, worth a go I reckon.

• 5 months later...

So, got any new images to upload? Come on, you've been on more safaris than I have...

OK, one from a couple of weeks ago for you Matt.

gallery_5545_368_25707.jpg

I promise to get to it in my trip report, promise.

Twaffle is that the cheetah with the four cubs I saw in September at which time they were very small?

Death of a Zebra

Having recently returned from 4 weeks in Kenya & Tanzania, to catch the migration, and was very fortunate to witness this event in both countries.

One of the most remarkable events my wife and I witnessed was this predation by a pack of Hyenas on this poor and unfortunate Zebra mare who was heavily pregnant and simply couldn't keep up with the herd, it was the first time myself and my guide of 15 years had ever observed. Subsequently the unborn foal was savagely ripped out and carried off by one Hyena, it was heart breaking to watch, simply too much for one person in another vehicle next to us and asked to leave after this happened. All the time this mare never uttered a sound as the savagery of the pack set in, no doubt in severe shock.

We have witnessed the circle of life as last year we enjoyed a Zebra birth and now this poor mare's demise.

I hope to submit this for a possible article on how Hyena are anything but scavengers.

D3s 500VR 1/500s ISO800@f/4 Masai Mara, Kenya Oct 2010

1058661764_4xv9R-L.jpg

Cheers

Marc

This proves what has been thought for a long time, that hyenas do kill, and perhaps other predators rob the the carcass. Right place, right time Marc.

Marc, when I first saw this image on BPN I found it very distressing, and no less so now BUT after my latest safari I understand a little better how I feel.

I witnessed a jackal hunt which at first I thought would be fairly easy, small predator maybe catching a bird or squirrel. The jackal pair hunted a Thomson's gazelle fawn and it was a long drawn out hunt, the death of the fawn was like any death from one of the dog like predators … not a cat like strangulation. Whilst it was happening I was fine, photographing the action etc. etc. But I find it hard to look at my photos now and I wondered why. Perhaps it was the adrenaline at the time? Now I think it is more to do with the fact that the photo shows the moment in stark highlight, whereas when you are there you see it through to the final death and release from any pain and distress for the prey so it is like a cathartic end to the emotion of the moment.

I just know that some people here will find these types of photos quite hard to look at, but in the moment it is over and finished and you move on.

Strangely enough, as I grow older I find it harder and harder to adapt to some of the harsh realities of life … perhaps it gets too close to home?! ;)

Bottom line … fantastic photo.

BTW I think it has been a long time since scientists and researchers thought hyaenas were only predators, at least from the information I've read and seen. They are pretty ruthless hunters by any measure.

Thanks Hilary

BTW I think it has been a long time since scientists and researchers thought hyaenas were only predators, at least from the information I've read and seen. They are pretty ruthless hunters by any measure.

Very true, I guess I'm referring to the general pubic regarding the Hyena scavenge/predation myth.

Cheers

Marc

• 6 months later...

That is such an awesome pic. Just there at the right time.Great photo

• 3 weeks later...

Photos of the week for me? The cheetah cub of Russel's here, or one of Treepol's Aardwolf from her trip report here.