A picture a day.

Game Warden

Or possibly the good, the bad and the ugly!

Or possibly the good, the bad and the ugly!

Ha, I didn't think of that. Not sure who is "good" though (but that was the case with the film too, I suppose).

A rare view, kittykat. Can see his bald spots. :)

Looking UP at an elephant...

1165331146_ymy6S-XL.jpg

kittykat23uk

Lovely texture on that ele. The giraffes were seen browsing in Kruger whee there is a raised road loking down, somewhere on the S106 loop I think, between Orpen and Satara.

High Noon

7410767352_851754a469_o.jpg

Topi stand-off, top end of the Mara, Kenya.

Edited by Rainbirder

Game Warden

Each with their own termite mound!

Topi standoff......

....and what happened next.....?

Topi bluster in the Mara

i-dMggBcK-XL.jpg

Rainbirder

I like the almost "oil painting" like background... I am assuming that there was a heat haze or is that done in PP?

Rainbirder

I like the almost "oil painting" like background... I am assuming that there was a heat haze or is that done in PP?

Thanks for the kind comments.

No, there was no photoshop tricksy magic. The midday heat haze created the effect (it was my wife and not me that noted this effect and prompted the image).

Pault, sadly there was no real action as the beast on the left lay down whilst his opponent quickly lost interest.

Alex The Lion

A great collection that keeps growing!

As I have a slow saturday, my contribution for the 23rd.

338853_356447444423143_198620971_o.jpg

Game Warden

Keep it up everyone. Some smashing work by Safaritalkers. Everyone contribute...

Alex The Lion

Another lion for the 26/6

Taken at Kwara in 2007....

168571_356955624372325_766145714_n.jpg

Excellent Russell, you've fixed any pp with that last lion.

Keep it up everyone. Some smashing work by Safaritalkers. Everyone contribute...

Compared to the photographers already contributing on this thread, anything that I contributed would be purely of token value only!

Token value is still value.... I'll look at anything, especially since I am struggling to find a snap/domino picture for Russel's shot - if only someone else would post, end of dilemma.

Seriously, I bet we surprise you and enjoy them. <_<

Game Warden

What's the old newspaper adage: Publish and be damned?

This isn't a competition, it's about bringing African into our daily life through pictures.

Alex The Lion

Token value is still value.... I'll look at anything, especially since I am struggling to find a snap/domino picture for Russel's shot - if only someone else would post, end of dilemma.

I will be off on my UK travels (again) from this afternoon, so will be MIA for the next 5 days. :)

Edited by russell

Alex The Lion

Great capture, a former member.

On the train so not a great screen. This image could be exceptional with a little tweak...(if you don't find it rude me offering)

In Photoshop;

1) Select a luminosity mask, Alt+Ctrl+2 (CS6) or Alt+Ctrl+~ in older versions. (Luminosity are highlights and mid-tones)

2) Create a new layer (Ctrl J) based on this selction

3) Set the blending mode of the layer from Normal to Overlay.

4) Choose the required opacity

:)

Edited by kittykat23uk
A

Alex The Lion

Compared to the photographers already contributing on this thread, anything that I contributed would be purely of token value only!

The difference is probably not as great as you imagine. A lot of neat post processing tweaks can make a significant improvement.

Edited by russell

BonitaApplebum

Tree Lion in Lake Nakuru Park, Kenya.

7429940576_76b9594095_c.jpg

I will be off on my UK travels (again) from this afternoon, so will be MIA for the next 5 days. :)

I wasn't complaining! Just I'd spent 40 minutes in my archives looking for a match for more than "lion" and come up empty-handed. :P

Good idea for a former member - it's going to look great....

Excellent shot (and processing) from BA.... and especially good as it allows me to resume my pointless but fun "snap" exercise...

Tree Lion in Tarangire Narional Park 2008

972983434_JfHbh-XL.jpg

Edited by kittykat23uk

One source of changes of appearance when uploading images for the web is the color space the image is using may not match the one the web browser uses, especially if the color space information is missing so the browser uses its default settings.

A color space is a way of representing colors by numbers. Cameras use additive color spaces based on the three primary colors Red, Green, Blue, but there are several RGB color spaces in common use. To capture a wide range of color information (if not shooting RAW), most cameras default to 8 bits per channel color spaces such as Adobe RGB, though the 16 bit ProPhoto RGB would be better (camera sensors are generally 12 to 14 bits).

And now we come to the crunch: web browsers default to sRGB which was chosen as a color space for early color monitors and contains much less information and a different color map than Adobe RGB. So saving an image as Adobe RGB and then displaying it as sRGB will change the look of an image and typically their colours look dull and lose their sparkle.

So when saving an image for the web, save it as sRGB and explicitly embed the color space information. It makes the image file size very slightly larger but not significantly and makes the image more likely to appear as you intended.