A picture a day.

Game Warden

madaboutcheetah

EDITED FOR CONTENT BY REQUEST December, 2018

Edited by madaboutcheetah

africapurohit

@@madaboutcheetah this coalition spend their time between the Lamai Wedge and southern sections of the Masai Mara. If crossed the river into the Lamai Wedge, then there's a good chance she saw them. A very healthy and beautiful group of cheetahs.

Dare to be different!

10561782185_3833659b40_o.jpg

As the wildebeest migration proceeds through the Mara the herds graze on the move creating a low envelope of dust that seems to settle around head-height. One beastie dared to be different as he stepped up onto this grassy termite mound carrying him just above the dust layer where he stood out from the crowd.

Maasai Mara, Kenya; July 2013.

Great shot Steve, it really stands out mate. It thinks it's a Topi perhaps?

Love that shot! You shot enter it in a competition! :)

africapurohit

The combination of the sun rising through a curtain of dust created a magical atmosphere as thousands of wildebeest crossed the Mara River - Northern Serengeti, Tanzania, August 2013

post-14527-0-48321600-1383516292_thumb.jpg

africapurohit

"Pile-up" Wildebeests swimming towards a dead-end resulting in some climbing on top of others - Northern Serengeti, Tanzania, August 2013

post-14527-0-12612600-1383603686_thumb.jpg

B&W really seems to work for crossing photos...

I agree GW but that sunrise curtain of dust shot is pure magic :D

africapurohit

Thanks @@Safari Cal and @@Game Warden - with that last photo I had a lot of light reflecting off the wet wildebeests, so I dimmed it down by converting to monochrome. I'll be experimenting with more monochrome conversions over the coming weeks - I have hundreds of migration photos to play with.

By the way, no wildebeests died during the scene in the last photo - they all got back into the river and made it to the correct exit point :).

africapurohit

Male cheetah coalition in the Lamai Wedge - Northern Serengeti, Tanzania, August 2013

post-14527-0-41431200-1383869129_thumb.jpg

africapurohit

Mother and calf in the Lamai Wedge - Northern Serengeti, Tanzania, August 2013

post-14527-0-22540900-1383952986_thumb.jpg

africapurohit

Dark Chanting-Goshawk in the Wogakuria Kopjes area - Northern Serengeti, Tanzania, August 2013

Although most bird photos are close-ups, I loved the cloud formation in the background so also took some wide-angle shots. This particular bird was quite relaxed and let us approach closely.

post-14527-0-12535000-1384038434_thumb.jpg

post-14527-0-17548600-1384038542_thumb.jpg

africapurohit

Coalition of male cheetahs in the Lamai Wedge (Tanzania) with Kenyan hills in the background - Northern Serengeti, Tanzania, August 2013

post-14527-0-98375600-1384296802_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

@@africapurohit - So when they pop into the Mara, they would likely be near Cottor's that general area?

africapurohit

@@madaboutcheetah Cottars would be close to the area, but I'm not sure if they travel that far into the Masai Mara. When we were in the Lamai Wedge we never saw a single vehicle on the Masai Mara side, despite it being peak season there. Therefore most of that border area is inaccessible to visitors in the Masai Mara (no tracks and no off-roading allowed), but those staying in northern Serengeti could literally drive on the border and even cross it ;).

africapurohit

Thanks that helps to explain why no human activity was visible on the Mara side. I even searched for it with my binos (the same ones you use) but had no luck :)

Leopard, hippo and croc in the same picture. It was taken from the restaurant in Lower Sabie, Kruger.

IMG_0002B_zps900b693d.jpg

africapurohit

@@Csaba I also see a blacksmith lapwing :)

Far be it from me to lower the tone (not far at all really)

I had to chuckle when I saw this sign on a beach on Ibo Island, Mozambique.

Apparently it is a huge problem and we saw a group of school children marching through the town with signs in an effort to raise awareness.

Nikon D80 and a lens of some sort.

ibo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Grevy's gesundheit!

11012548586_c8db2a7172_o.jpg

Shaba National park, Kenya; August 2013

Coalition of male cheetahs in the Lamai Wedge (Tanzania) with Kenyan hills in the background - Northern Serengeti, Tanzania, August 2013

@@africapurohit We saw these 3 brothers on the 23rd July when we ended up in the Lamai Wedge from the Mara Triangle. They had been on the Kenyan side of the border and headed back south to take some shade by a large tree. We accidentally crossed over, took a few photos then realised we were in Tz when one of the guides in another vehicle said "Karibuni Tanzania". Oops!

africapurohit

@@Safari Cal did you start searching for your passport :D. These three are known to visit the Mara Triangle across the border and I've dedicated post #331 of my trip report report to them.

So you think your life's crap?

10614411655_a8eda9ba52_o.jpg

Pile no:3, Grass Rhino midden, Solio Ranch, Kenya; July 2013.