A picture a day.

Game Warden

Waterbucks posing on the banks of the Zambezi

gallery_5715_946_252087.jpg

And now for something completely different...

Can anyone guess what these darlings are?

2zg0.jpg

Edible Dormice?

Edible Dormice?

Nailed it!

I didn't know these existed util I came across them in Kosovo.

We were doing some excavating and would dig up a football sized lump of fur which could be broken up into a dozen or more tennis ball sized lumps.

When they were left in the sun they would turn into a squirrel like thing and climb a tree.

The edible part I don't know...

4nr5.jpg

Popular on Roman menus I believe a couple of thousand years ago...

And apparently still a delicacy in Slovenia.

Popular on Roman menus I believe a couple of thousand years ago...

And apparently still a delicacy in Slovenia.

Perhaps we should have saved a couple for the brai?

Young male lion after he failed to participate in a hunt with his fellow species and blew the whole affair.
The wildebeest was just steps away! I think the yawning is a sign that he feels ashamed (just joking :P )
Hwange NP, Litttle Makololo Camp

gallery_5715_946_344327.jpg

Edited by Wild Dogger

it was extremely hot, no rains yet, no baby impalas.

To be honest, after all these trip reports about Mana Pools I was disappointed about the sightings. Animals only along the riverside and the close by woodland. No dogs, one male lion, luckily 2 leopards at night and good Eland and Kudu. Some elephants along the river. Buffalos only on Zambian side. Baboons, Impala, some Nyala, some Zebra. I am gonna change my nickname into "Leopard".
We worked hard for our sightings, left camp in the dark to maximize our chances, always the same animals.

Wow, that's just a spectacular shot, Wild Dogger! So much power in those cats.

There must have some been some great noise with that sighting...

Sierra de Andujar, Spain at sunset

11385256036_c6fb4f87f6_b.jpg

someone else in the group has pledged to write this one up :P

Boo!

11149225673_5617ac810c_o.jpg

On scouting the edge of the Mara river we came across a hippo pool with a large fallen tree on the bank. I was able to position myself behind the fallen trunk and waited. The water was actually quite deep right up to the riverbank and hippos were popping up only a few metres away. Unfortunately though hidden when crouched I had to stand to take images over the trunk. The sudden appearance of a human almost as big as herself had this hippo cow fleeing for deep water!

My wife suggested that playing peek-a-boo with hippos was probably not too sensible a pastime!

(Mara River, Maasai Mara, Kenya; July 2013)

Common Genet ( Genetta genetta)

11073713674_cbb7eb2d4d_o.jpg

Samburu, Kenya; August 2013.

My wife suggested that playing peek-a-boo with hippos was probably not too sensible a pastime!

May I suggest you listen to your wife? :D

Great result, though. Both of them - I've never had that good a sighting of genet, and certainly not in daylight (-ish).

Edited by savoche

@ Wild Dogger... The repost looks slightly different. Is it my eyes? Have a great evening!

In Denmark we are traditionally having Duck as well as Pork Roast for Christmas. Hope we behave a little better than these guys!

post-40161-0-58026700-1387882727_thumb.jpg