A picture a day.

Game Warden

~ @@Peter Connan

You've given me quite a laugh!

The thought of ‘diamond miners’ diligently breaking apart ostrich ‘byproducts’ is comical on a heavily overcast Tuesday afternoon.

As @@Geoff noted, there are those, like young Tom, who were geophagous. No diamonds, I'm afraid, although no one ever checked.

Kudos again to @@KaingU Lodge for raising the issue with his morning parrot photos.

Tom K.

@@KaingU Lodge

Very interesting behavioural shots.

If I was using that hide I'd be tempted to place a perch in a suitable location in the hope that the parrots use it as a staging post before foraging in the mud.

Some nice portraits might be in the offing. You never know your luck.

@@KaingU Lodge

Very interesting behavioural shots.

If I was using that hide I'd be tempted to place a perch in a suitable location in the hope that the parrots use it as a staging post before foraging in the mud.

Some nice portraits might be in the offing. You never know your luck.

Good idea. Maybe later today if things go to plan. I did the same at the bee-eater hide (just a pole in the ground) and it worked well. Very short video of them below.

@@Tom Kellie

Parrots in South America are well known for eating clay. Here are a couple of shots from Peru - Amazon region (in 2007!). The sites they visit are called "clay licks" and I think the birds are responsible for the strangely shaped erosion on the bank.

gallery_45513_922_183719.jpg

And slightly less spectacular birds, but in very large numbers

gallery_45513_922_28368.jpg

Edited by TonyQ

@@Tom Kellie

Parrots in South America are well known for eating clay. Here are a couple of shots from Peru - Amazon region (in 2007!). The sites they visit are called "clay licks" and I think the birds are responsible for the strangely shaped erosion on the bank.

And slightly less spectacular birds, but in very large numbers.

~ @@TonyQ

Thanks to you, @@KaingU Lodge and @@Geoff, Safaritalk is strongly fulfilling the educational facet of its overall mission.

I'm grateful to all of you for the explanations and instructive photographs. This is fresh territory for me, hence highly interesting.

Your “parrots at clay licks” images are fascinating. I've never seen anything like that.

The intensely vibrant parrots on the neutral earth tones results in compelling images, from both the educational and the decorative perspective.

Number Tom as one of those who didn't realize that birds — in this case, parrots — were agents of erosion.

This ‘A picture a day’ thread is a mini-course in animal behavior, if only to redress the ignorance of yours truly.

Great photos, great cooperation and explanations from all three of you, and great education about this subject!

With Gratitude,

Tom K.

post-49296-0-70062600-1441261365_thumb.jpg

Repartee at the Emakoko

~ Photographed on 28 July, 2015 at 2:03 pm at the Emakoko, Nairobi, Kenya, with a Sony RX1 R camera.

ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/80 sec., 35mm focal length, handheld Automatic exposure.

*******************************************************************************************************

While game drives are understandably the primary focus of most safaris, there's also much pleasure in conversations with friends old and new at lodge or camp dining tables.

In this case my safari traveling partner, ZHU Jinjie of Peking University Health Science Center in Beijing is talking with Kenya guide @@Zarek Cockar about future career options.

The open-air dining room of the Emakoko is a relaxed setting for such genial repartee as they, and I, enjoyed one very pleasant Tuesday afternoon.

Edited by Tom Kellie

Turtle bay in Oahu, Hawai'i.

gallery_45142_1346_2622349.jpg

Turtle bay in Oahu, Hawai'i.

gallery_45142_1346_2622349.jpg

~ @@Earthian

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawaii's home for me, thus seeing it in such a vibrant image makes my morning!

The blues...the greens...the clouds...the waves...the coconut palms...all tug at my heart.

Yet the pièce de résistance is the resting sea turtle. TERRIFIC!

Thank you for lighting up Safaritalk with this special image of Turtle Bay!

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie

you do know how to light up one's day!

here is another one for you from Hawai'i:

gallery_45142_1346_557438.jpg

@@Tom Kellie

you do know how to light up one's day!

here is another one for you from Hawai'i:

~ @@Earthian

Hanauma Bay!

GORGEOUS!

I'm so glad that you went there.

The colors, coral, and atmosphere — Happiness!

Very family friendly — ideal for teaching children to observe and respect tidal and reef life.

Thank you!

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie

yes, Hanauma bay. you still remember your Hawai'i.

Though in all fairness, i must confess that it was very crowded and quite choppy. We reached there a few minutes after 9 am and yet we didnt get parking and hence no entry. We came back around noon and we got parking.

Lets see if you recognise this one.

gallery_45142_1346_1646579.jpg

Not often you get a bum and a face as the same subject! (Oops...meant to put th is with the Bum thread! I will repost...)
Taken in the OMC last November, we watched this mom struggle for 30-40 minutes before she was able to give birth. It seemed that something was a little "stuck." We stayed well back so as not to righten her, so this was taken at 560mm I think, and cropped down. But it was an extraoprdinary moment to catch!

gallery_46380_1188_397013.jpg

Edited by NJW

Lesser bushbaby on a evening drive two nights ago.

higher-1024x682.jpg

we came upon this isolated beach in Oahu near the US defence radar station The road suddenly ended.

gallery_45142_1346_10895.jpg

The tuskless Tuskers

We found many of the elephants in the South Luangwa NP without tusks.

gallery_5715_1316_417741.jpg

@@Wild Dogger There's an interloper with tusks in that herd.

Nice shot, I like the comp.

Here is another from Hawai'i:

gallery_45142_1346_2126420.jpg

The tuskless Tuskers

We found many of the elephants in the South Luangwa NP without tusks.

~ @@Wild Dogger

This is the first that I've ever seen anything like this.

Lacking much experience, I don't know why there would be so many tuskless elephants, apart from the babies.

Thank you for posting the photograph.

Tom K.

~ @@Wild Dogger

Lacking much experience, I don't know why there would be so many tuskless elephants, apart from the babies.

Tom K.

I have heard that during the massive slaughter of elephants in Zambia during the 80´s and 90´s the tuskless elies survived better. The genes for tusklessness became more common.

Edited by Sverker

~ @@Wild Dogger

Tom K.

I have heard that during the massive slaughter of elephants in Zambia during the 80´s and 90´s the tuskless elies survived better. The genes for tusklessness became more common.

That´s exactly what we´ve been told.

Selinda Aug' 2005. Wilddog pups huddled together on a chilly morning.

post-5120-0-10560200-1442124700_thumb.jpg