A picture a day.

Game Warden

Please, Twaffle, don't tease. I want to hear about you and Queen Wilhelmina!

Jan

Jan, it is really a very boring story which I try to make much more of than I should (just to be interesting, you know!) and it shows me to have been a very silly child doing dangerous things. But she was very nice, all the same. Now I don't do anything remotely dangerous or exciting so I live in my memory. :o

Twaffle, we all do silly things, but being stopped by royalty does make it rather unusual.

Jan

Because I was scanning some old cars for Game Warden I thought I'd be self indulgent and include one of our favourite places where we used to picnic on the way to friends near Mt Kenya. By the end of the picnic we always had the company of some local village children.

tea%20spot%20mt%20kenya%20nr%20sagana%2067.jpg

Game Warden

Austin 1100? Is that you looking at the camera? I love these old shots Twaffle, please keep them coming. I seriously think you should write a book about growing up in Kenya, including some of these images.

Yes that's me. I used to love those picnics. We would go driving every Sunday with a picnic but in the holidays we would visit our friends who farmed on the slopes of Mt Kenya. They had a magical place on the banks of the Ewaso Nyiro where we would see colobus monkeys and hear the leopards cough at night. We would leave in the dark and have a cooked breakfast at the spot in the photo. Now I always love getting up before dawn, it gives me a holiday feeling even though it is usually because it is winter and I have to get the children to school.

Guest nyama
I seriously think you should write a book about growing up in Kenya, including some of these images.
But first you should create your own thread, Twaffle, and not bury these gems in "Photo of the week"!

Or put them into Safari Gems from the Past.

Perhaps, but do you think anyone is really interested? We know that Matt is a nostalgia junkie! :lol:

Game Warden

Lets see what members think Twaffle :lol:

Thank you. I'll have a go at making something interesting. I have some ideas so may post later today if time.

BTW, if I were to write a memoir, I would have to get Tony to ghost write it and it would have to be done somewhere in Zimbabwe, obviously! :lol:

Lets see what members think Twaffle :lol:

I've just noticed that you've put in a poll! Yikes ... how many times can I vote yes so that I don't get humiliated? :lol:

Game Warden

Moving the poll to its own topic...

Thank you Matt, it just disappeared and then I thought I was going mad! :lol:

Guest nyama
BTW, if I were to write a memoir, I would have to get Tony to ghost write it and it would have to be done somewhere in Zimbabwe, obviously! :lol:
You want to try Zambezi Lager? :lol:

and this Mosi stuff everyone keeps talking about. :lol:

I need an inebriated smilie!

Guest nyama
I need an inebriated smilie!
I'm afraid that no inebriated smiley wants to leave the weekend party at Nyama's Smiley Orphanage. :lol:

All I can offer you is this for orientation...

gallery_3403_44_51953.gif

Game Warden

"Show me the way to go home...." hic

Nothing like a cold beer on a hot day. I can just taste the hops. Delicious, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
madaboutcheetah

wonderful , Ken!!! Reflection and all .........

Any other picture of those new, Mohicans , Ken? (I must say, the day I read your report ..... I could not stop laughing for a whole 5 minutes with your description of those Lions ....... But, I agree ...... more of the "useless Lions" variety)

• 1 month later...

Sunset at Chobe river behind Chobe safri lodge Kasane Botswana

Nikon D40 DSLR camera

post-6010-1251753501_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I love seeing photos of 'white' polar bears with snow and ice around them. Many photos you see these days have those poor bears in the dirty brown landscape around Churchill. Love the way the bear is looking at you.

Look forward to seeing more of your Arctic photos.

• 1 month later...

It was an amazing experience to be lucky enough to witness

this Zebra mum give birth to this foal!

A first for me and our Guide of 13 years, he didn't believe me when I told him that the lying down posture

looked very unusual and that I thought she was in labour! So when she got up this was what I captured.

Moremi GR- Botswana. Sept '09

Nikon D3 500VR 1/750s ISO200@f/5.6

Cheers

Marc

725354329_nkjVD-XL.jpg

fabulous sighting, very nice image.

Wow! Chance in a lifetime shot.