Back from Zim : up close, personal and very emotional!

Kavita

Apparently, this has happened before with an impala. There was no one around to rescue the impala from the pool straight away and apparently the dogs didn’t leave until the impala was helped out, almost half an hour later.

That's really interesting. Is it crazy of me to wonder if the dogs might eventually learn to route their prey into the camp deliberately? I can't imagine that the pool incident happens frequently enough to create a pattern for the dogs to learn, but I can't help but wonder.

Lovely elephant shots. Keep them coming now the posting issues seem to be resolved.

Apparently, this has happened before with an impala. There was no one around to rescue the impala from the pool straight away and apparently the dogs didn’t leave until the impala was helped out, almost half an hour later.

That's really interesting. Is it crazy of me to wonder if the dogs might eventually learn to route their prey into the camp deliberately? I can't imagine that the pool incident happens frequently enough to create a pattern for the dogs to learn, but I can't help but wonder.

Not crazy at all- wild dogs in Botswana also hunt through camps regularly, and I've had managers/guides say they think the dogs do it deliberately- the prey gets confused and slams into a building, or slips on some decking. I was in a camp once when dogs chased an impala into the side of an outbuilding in the workshop area, and at the same camp they've had dogs chase a kudu onto decking. At Duma Tau last year, the dogs were often hunting through the camp.

They're smart animals.

Thanks for the link, that was an astounding video. Like stokeygirl said, it looks like the impala gets confused by the camp - or in this case, the vehicle (is it trying to use it as a refuge from the dogs or just "hitting a wall?"). Either way, the dogs' ability to take advantage of the situation is really fascinating. It really interests me to see when the industry that's been set up to view these animals ends up influencing their behavior.

Kavita, I like your kudu picture. I think they are the most handsome of antelope.

madaboutcheetah

Lovely report, Kavitha. Thanks for sharing!!!

madaboutcheetah

Not crazy at all- wild dogs in Botswana also hunt through camps regularly, and I've had managers/guides say they think the dogs do it deliberately- the prey gets confused and slams into a building, or slips on some decking. I was in a camp once when dogs chased an impala into the side of an outbuilding in the workshop area, and at the same camp they've had dogs chase a kudu onto decking. At Duma Tau last year, the dogs were often hunting through the camp.

They're smart animals.

Indeed!!! Same thing with the Lagoon pack in Kwando. They've been doing this for years - old camp and the new camp post-refurb.

Another Zim traveler and another very pleased one if this was the best of 11.

A train whistle while on safari. That's a new one.

Mana more crowded than LZ? Seems to be a recent development, no pun intended. And a troubling development.

Thanks for The Hide info. 90 minutes for breakfast? How big could the omelet be?

What mixed emotions you must have had seeing the kudu in the pool. Hope your husband's back has healed. A bad back on safari is no good.

"two lions roaring together and you could feel the sound reverberating through the tent and your stomach!!

The morning only got better. Within the next 5 minutes, the guide came running back saying the lions had killed a warthog just behind the tents. Off we go in our pyjamas!" What a pajama party!

Edited by Atravelynn