Peru: Kaleidoscope of Colors. Amazon Cruise, Machu Picchu, Jungle Lodges

Atravelynn

Aug 20

5:30 - 7:15 am On our canoe trip the 3 of us saw Squirrel Monkeys, Red Squirrels, and Caiman.

10:00-11:00 am walk-And then there was one, just me. The other couple departed after one night, which is an option. Oscar found me Night Monkeys high in the canopy, visible only by their white eyelids. Oscar snapped a photo to help me locate them. They were that obscure and Oscar was that good.

sml_gallery_108_720_13338.jpgsml_gallery_108_720_1918.jpg

Night monkeys sleeping during the day, high in canopy

4:30 - 6:45 pm Oscar paddled us to a tower along the shoreline that we climbed for better views of a troop of Squirrel Monkeys quickly passing by in the trees.

sml_gallery_108_720_78527.jpggallery_108_720_2627.jpgmed_gallery_108_720_105620.jpg

Green Ibis...................................................................................................................Cocoi Heron............................................................................................................................Juvenile Rufescent Tiger Heron

After dark we sought out some tarantulas—the Chicken (Eating) Tarantula and the Pink Toed Tarantula. Tarantulas were scarce because it was mating season and the males were on the prowl for females or perhaps dead from fighting their rivals.

med_gallery_108_720_58750.jpgmed_gallery_108_720_65187.jpg

Chicken Spider Tarantula...................................................................................................Pink Toed Tarantula

Edited by Atravelynn

Haven't time to read right now, just picture looking but that turtle conga line is pretty cool and I'm just LOVING the birds. I'll be back .......

LOL..."kinda like Tom Cruise"! Loved the hoatzin and macaw pics...especially the macaws in flight at the clay lick. And those butts...oops, I meant butterflies...are absolutely gorgeous. Oscar was a gem...I've heard night monkeys are heard often but not easy to see.

Thanks for the tapir distinction. It would be fun to see all 4 species some day.

Our most recent adventure was a long one: 3 weeks Ethiopia, 1 week Gujarat India, 4 weeks Thailand, 1 week Malaysia. Lots of birds and mammals, and our first trip around the world!

Where are you headed next?

Our most recent adventure was a long one: 3 weeks Ethiopia, 1 week Gujarat India, 4 weeks Thailand, 1 week Malaysia. Lots of birds and mammals, and our first trip around the world!

No wonder I couldn't recall. You went everywhere. I did remember Gujarat was in the works. Is there a report in the works as well?

Thanks for the tapir distinction. It would be fun to see all 4 species some day.

Where are you headed next?

I'd like to take that as a hint and say a Tapir Quest around the world! Maybe I'll schedule the departure for April 27, International Tapir Day. Sadly, no tapir travel plans, but I am going to see the bat migration in Kasanka, Zambia the end of Nov.

LOL..."kinda like Tom Cruise"! Loved the hoatzin and macaw pics...especially the macaws in flight at the clay lick.

Hope I did not offend any Jerry Maguire fans.

Sorry, no written trip report...our trip reports consist of our photos (www.pbase.com/deseml) and videos (https://vimeo.com/user1810230/albums/page:1/sort:alphabetical/format:thumbnail). Ethiopia and Thailand were organized birding tours. For Gujarat we hired a local bird guide mainly to see one specific species of bird, Grey Hypocolius. Malaysia was a lark...I had read about a specific resort near Kuala Lumpur where Silver-breasted Broadbills nested, one of my favorite birds, and was also fairly easy to photograph.

Let me know when you do the Tapir Trek!

Malaysia was a lark. Let me know when you do the Tapir Trek!

Good one from a birder.

Thanks for the links. Tapir Trek sounds better. Since it would be around the world, let's go with Tapir Treks.

Edited by Atravelynn

Aug 21

5:30 – 7:40 am Oscar and I joined another group and canoed across the lake. On foot we looked for Blue and Gold Macaws perched on palm trees in the morning light. We found about 10 and a howler.

med_gallery_108_720_584.jpgmed_gallery_108_720_42756.jpggallery_108_720_80384.jpg

Blue and Gold Macaw....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Howler

Our return to the lodge was a 45 minute walk where we spied a Titi Monkey, the seventh monkey species seen this trip. A family of Scarlet Macaws in a distant tree was our last sighting.

sml_gallery_108_720_11410.jpg

Titi Monkey

9:00 am canoe departure, followed by the 2-mile walk to the motorized canoe, a 30 minute river trip, then a transport van to InkaNatura’s office. The big sign in front of the office had several Giant Otters on it, which only added insult to the injury of the Giant Otter statue on the night in my Sandoval Lodge room, and Giant Otter drink coasters in the dining lounge--all constant reminders that Giant Otters are a frequent enough sighting at Sandoval to merit mascot status. But they had disappeared during my Sandoval stay.

Wilburt, the Sandoval Lodge bartender, has several of his own creations on the drink menu. After a few of his works of art, the hammocks in the lobby are even more inviting. The lodge setup is similar to spacious office cubicles, where the wall between rooms is open at the top. It can get a little loud, but everybody is pooped by 10 pm and in bed. End rooms, where you have only one neighbor are # 9 (near the kitchen, but there’s not a lot of kitchen noise, I had 9) and #1 (even better than 9) & #10 (on the end near the main lobby) and #25 (best).

Even with AWOL otters, Sandoval Lodge and the surroundings were great.

Brazil Nut Fact. It takes between 40 to maybe 100+ years for a Brazil Nut tree to mature to the point of producing nuts. That’s too long for Brazil Nuts grown on a plantation to turn a profit. So the only place to get Brazil Nuts is if the Brazil Nut tree is left to grow in the jungle.

Edited by Atravelynn

The Metamorphosis of Canopy Girl

Watching the change in demeanor of those aboard the Ayapua as the trip progressed was intriguing. The tension, stress, and insomnia melted away as we left civilization behind and headed upriver. But nobody on the boat transformed to the degree of Canopy Girl, a fellow traveler to Heath River.

I first encountered this very pretty young lady and her fiancé at the Inkaterra Office, prior to our Heath River adventure. In our get acquainted conversation she stated that she was on her first trip and that she had found Machu Picchu to be ok, but had preferred the pre-departure Atlanta airport hotel. She was thrilled, though, with the 5-star Miraflores Hotel in Lima, and with the shopping opportunities.

When I mentioned my main interest in Heath River was the macaws, she asked, “The what?” “Parrots,” I replied, using a more familiar bird name.

Our first activity together was the jungle canopy walk. She wore a smart pair of wool trousers bought at one of the local markets, a spaghetti strap tank top, and sandals. The guides insisted on a footwear change, and that required twenty minutes of searching for luggage and unpacking a pair of tennis shoes.

Finally three of us set off with our guide on the trail to the overhead canopy walkways.

The prospect of bugs or bug bites was a major concern to Canopy Girl, who asked many worst-case scenario questions and engaged in a good deal of swatting imaginary insects, complete with sound effects.

Suddenly we encountered some Saddleback Tamarins. Canopy Girl was captivated and watched them intently until they slipped away into the jungle, all the while slapping at anything that might be crawling up her spaghetti straps.

At last we reached the stairs to the canopy walkway and ascended. After traversing three of the seven bridges, we paused on a platform to look around. Canopy Girl commented on the beauty and peacefulness, and then inquired, “Where is the canopy?” We explained we were in it. “Then WHAT IS the canopy?” she pursued.

Our guide further explained the animal and birdlife found in the treetops. A smile formed on Canopy Girl’s lips, “I thought we were going on a dumb little ride to look at the rooftop of a hut.” That was her concept of “canopy” and it explained her attire. What explained her complete misconception was that her fiancé had done all the planning and booking of the trip. Just weeks before departure, this canopy tour had been added, which Fiancé had mentioned, but without clarification or explanation.

We all had a laugh and now you know how Canopy Girl acquired her name.

Through our walks and boat excursions Canopy Girl was intrigued by the jungle. “It’s magical!” she exclaimed. For better views of the skittish peccaries, she willingly squatted in the dirt to remain hidden from their view. The bird activity at the clay lick delighted her and she correctly distinguished the macaws from the parrots.

She speculated about a return to Peru and wondered how to secure Oscar again for their guide. But before heading into the wilderness again, she vowed to get binoculars and “an expedition shirt like you all have,” referring to the quick-dry, neutral-colored, vented, collared shirts.

Her bed broke down a couple of nights in a row. Kaboom! We could hear it several tents away. No injuries and no harm done. She recounted her mishap the next morning with wit. No Princess and the Pea drama from Canopy Girl.

One night at dinner there was no ice and as a result, some grumbles arose from the table. “What? No White Russians!?” “I think there are some issues here.” That sort of thing.

Canopy Girl squelched the complaints: “I know what the issues are. We are out here in the middle of nowhere. It’s amazing what they are able to feed us, much less provide ice. We’ll survive.” You go, Canopy Girl!

The night of our tapir viewing it had rained a little bit earlier, making the wooden bridge over the tapir clay pit somewhat slippery. As we took leave of the tapir in the dark, one member of our group slipped. He was the tall, lanky, super-fit-mountain-man-guy, who never bragged about his exploits, but it had come out casually in conversation that he regularly took to the Alpine wilderness for hundreds of miles of solo hiking, snow camping, rock climbing, trail blazing, river forging, canyon crossing, buffalo hauling, wolverine wrangling, and similar pursuits. After he slipped, Mountain Man’s momentum sent him sliding to the edge of the bridge and a 20-foot drop. Canopy Girl, who was walking next to him at the time, sprung into action and was down on all fours, grabbing Mountain Man and hoisting him away from the edge.

I suspect Mountain Man would have regained control of the situation and not plummeted off the bridge, even without help. (For anyone fearing that tapir viewing at Hearth River is life threatening or that this is an inherently dangerous place, that’s not the case by any means. It was just an unpredictable loss of footing.) Still, I give Canopy Girl credit for completing the final stage of her metamorphosis that night.

For a full-fledged metamorphosis, some adventure, or a chance to experience a rainbow of natural wonders and culture, consider Peru!

Edited by Atravelynn

Your talent, Lynn, lies not only in sharing with us a superbly illustrated and superbly written TR like this that has gotten many of us to contemplate quasi-blasphemous non-Africa trips, but also your personal insights and thoughts, like this latest post on the metamorphosis of Canopy Girl. It was not so far from the truth for those of us who were born urbanites and who got converted somewhere along the way...

PS: Many species here that I had no idea even existed, so a big thank you for that as well. One of your butterflies looks just like a spaceship :)

quasi-blasphemous non-Africa trips,

That's what the Trip Reports/Trip Planning World Wildlife subforum should be renamed. Appreciate your comments Sangeeta.

Edited by Atravelynn

med_gallery_108_719_101614.jpgmed_gallery_108_719_9388.jpg

Bearded Mountaineer at Pakaritampu Hotel in Ollantaytambo, Sacred Valley Rufous collared sparrow at Pakaritampu Hotel in Ollantaytambo, Sacred Valley

Bird List:

Amazon kingfisher

Anhinga

Bank swallow

Bearded Mountaineer

Black caracara

Black crowned night heron

Black fronted nunbird

Black Skimmer

Black tailed tityra

Black tailed trogon

Black vulture

Blue and gold macaw

Blue gray tanager

Blue headed parrot

Bluish fronted Jacamar

Boat billed heron

Brown chested martin

Canary winged parakeet

Capped heron

Chestnut bellied seedeater

Chestnut eared aracari

Chestnut fronted macaw

Cobalt winged parakeet

Collared plover

Common potoo

Crimson crested woodpecker

Cuvier’s Toucan

Donacobius

Dusky capped flycatcher

Dusky headed parakeet

Fork tailed palm swift

Gray breasted martin

Great black hawk

Great egret

Greater ani

Greater kiskadee

Green and white hummingbird

Green back trogon

Green Ibis

Green kingfisher

Hoatzin

Horned screamer

Ladder tailed nightjar

Large billed tern

Lesser kiskadee

Lesser yellow headed vulture

Lettered aracari

Limpkins, which were supposed to be in Brazil

Lineated woodpecker

Little hermit

Masked crimson tanager

Masked tityra

Mealy Amazon parrot

Muscovy duck

Northern jacana

Olivaceous cormorant

Orange winged amazon

Orange winged parrot

Oriole Blackbird

Pauraque

Peach fronted parrot

Pied lapwing

Plumbeous kite

Plumbious antbird

Pygmy kingfisher

Red and Green macaws

Red bellied macaw

Ringed kingfisher

Roadside hawk

Rock pigeon

Rufescent tiger heron

Rufus collared sparrow

Russet backed oropendola

Sand colored red night hawk

Scarlet macaw

Shiny cowbird

Short tailed parrot

Short tailed swift

Silver beaked tanager

Slate colored hawk

Snail kite

Snowy egret

Social flycatcher

Southern martin

Southern rough winged swallow

Spot breasted woodpecker

Striated heron

Swallow wing puffbird

Thickbilled euphonia

Tropical kingbird

Tui parakeet

Turkey vulture

White bellied hummingbird

White eyed parakeet

White fronted jacamar

White necked Jacobin

White necked/cocoi heron

White tailed trogon

White winged swallow

White winged swallow

Wild Turkey

Yellow bellied dacnis

Yellow billed tern

Yellow browed sparrow

Yellow headed caracara

Yellow hooded blackbird

Yellow rumped cacique

Yellow tufted woodpecker

THE END

I’ve been away from my PC for a while so I’m just catching up on some of all the great new reports like this one.

It seems you did pretty well for mammals not too easy in South America.

Your tapir is definitely a lowland or Brazilian tapir Tapirus terrestris, Baird’s tapir Tapirus Bairdii (the one species I haven’t seen) is principally a Central American species that in South America is only found west of the Andes as far south as Ecuador, so doesn’t occur in Peru, the only place where these two species can be found in the same area is in northern Colombia. The mountain tapir Tapirus pinchaque is found in Peru but only in the north and occurs at much higher elevations between 2000 and 4000 meters is quite a bit smaller and has much longer hair, it also occurs in Colombia and Ecuador where I saw one at Cabañas San Isidro.

Impressive as always, thanks Lynn.

Thanks for all the comments and the Tapir Tutorial, Inyathi.

Would you conjoin this trip with a Pantanal river trip to see the Jaguars? I'm planning a South American safari and am wondering what are the two best places to visit in terms of birds AND mammals. Some people tell me Costa Rica or Belize.0, but your trip was just so gorgeous! Would love your input.

Would you conjoin this trip with a Pantanal river trip to see the Jaguars? I'm planning a South American safari and am wondering what are the two best places to visit in terms of birds AND mammals. Some people tell me Costa Rica or Belize.0, but your trip was just so gorgeous! Would love your input.

Yes, absolutely combine them if time allowed. Having been to the places you mention, I think Heath River Wildlife Center for macaws and Sandoval Lake for Hoatzins, which means Peru is good for nice views and fairly easy photos of these big, distinctive birds. The place with the most bird species seen in one day of anywhere in the world goes to either HRWC or to nearby Manu. For mammals with great birds too, I'd suggest the Pantanal. Big flocks of birds were more common in the Pantanal and in Pacaya Samiria (boat trip) than what I saw in HRWC or Sandoval Lake. I personally saw more bird vareity in the Pantanal compared with any of the other places listed here.

I'll put in a link here to my Brazil reports. You'll see there were a lot more mammals seen there than in Peru.

If you could do about a week in the Pantanal (10 days would be even better) and a 3 day HRWC/2 day Sandoval Lake trip, which is how that combo is set up with InkaNatura owing both, then you'd have a whole lota' birds and mammals. I'd suggest Aug or Sept. This link is for North Pantanal along the Transpantaniera Hwy (1 brief jaguar sighting at night) and along the Paraguay River, which had 7 jaguar sightings, 6 in one afternoon, shown in gold.

http://safaritalk.ne...-safari-report/

The jaguars appear in post #11

A summary of the itinerary for that trip is here.

Itinerary

Day 1 Aug 3

Fly O’Hare to Sao Paulo, Guarulhos Aiport on United

Day 2 Aug 4

Arrive Sao Paulo and take shuttle to Melia Comfort Hotel, arriving around noon.

Day 3 Aug 5

Morning flight from Sao Paulo to Belo Horizonte and drive about 2½ hours to the Seminary, lunch en route, arriving late afternoon. Dinner. Night with wolves. Sleep in room at Seminary—small, basic, comfortable, a little cold, good bathroom.. Lovely and interesting facility in beautiful setting.

Day 4 Aug 6

Bird watch from 6:30 to 7:30 am, breakfast, bird watch and walk on trails or road 3 hours until lunch, bird watch and walk on trails or road another 2-3 hours in afternoon. Dinner. Night with wolves. Sleep in room at Seminary.

Day 5 Aug 7 repeat of Day 4

Day 6 Aug 8

Bird watch from 6:30 to 7:30 am, breakfast, bird watch and walk on trails or road until about 9:00 am. Drive 5 hours to Caratinga, lunch enroute. Stop about 45 minutes at a friend of the travel agent who has bird feeders and puts out fruit for marmosets. Bird and marmoset watch at their home. Dinner and overnight at Vind’s Hotel--very nice city hotel.

Day 7 Aug 9

Depart 6:00 am for 40 minute drive to Caratinga Research Station. Spend the day bird watching and looking for monkeys. Lunch fixings brought and stored in visitor fridge. Dinner and overnight at Vind’s Hotel.

Day 8 Aug 10

Depart 6:00 am for 40 minute drive to Caratinga Research Station. Spend the morning bird watching, looking for monkeys. Lunch fixings brought and stored in visitor fridge. At midday head to Mercure Hotel near the Belo Horizonte Airport—modern, nice city hotel.

Note: I changed some flights to avoid Congonhas aiport and therefore overnighted near the Belo Horizonte airport. The normal routing is to spend the whole Day 8 at Caratinga and overnight about 2 hours away from the airport in the city of Rio Casca.

Day 9 Aug 11

Early morning flight from Belo to Cuiaba via Brasilia.

Note: The normal routing is to drive a couple of hours to the Belo Horizonte airport from Rio Casca and take a later flight to Cuiaba via Sao Paulo.

From the Cuiaba airport, drive on a paved road in an air-conditioned van about 2 ½ hours to Pocone, arriving early evening Then switch to the safari vehicle and head toward the Pantanal on road that changes to unpaved. Drive about 2 hours into the Pantanal with spotlight, looking for animals. Overnight Pousada Rio Clara—small room, basic, comfortable, good bathroom, A/C. Beautiful outdoor surroundings. Pousada Rio Clara is approx 45 km south of Pocone.

Day 10 Aug 12

Morning walk starting 6:30 am, then breakfast, then boat ride on Pixiam River. Lunch, rest, depart in the afternoon for the Jaguar Ecological Reserve and Jaguar Lodge. Game drive while the light lasts, spotlight at night, arriving about 3 hours later. Dinner. Overnight Jaguar Lodge—small room, basic, comfortable, good bathroom, A/C. On the grounds is a spotlighted area where food scraps are placed that attract crab eating foxes during the night. Tegu lizards dine in the area during the day. Jaguar Lodge is approx 110 km south of Pocone.

Day 11 Aug 13

Morning walk starting at 6:30 am, breakfast and another walk lasting to 11 am, lunch, rest, afternoon game drive that continued into a night drive. Dinner, another night drive. Overnight Jaguar Lodge.

Day 12 Aug 14

Morning departure for a game drive, south, then turned around and headed north past Jaguar Lodge to Mato Grosso Best Western Hotel. Lunch and rest, then afternoon game drive that continued into a night drive. Dinner, another night drive. Overnight Mato Grosso Hotel—small room, basic, comfortable, good bathroom, A/C. Beautiful outdoor surroundings and very nice facilities. Mato Grosso Hotel is approx 65 km south of Pocone.

Day 13 Aug 15

Morning walk starting 6:30 am, then breakfast, then boat ride on Pixiam River. Lunch, rest, depart in the afternoon for Pousada Alegro on game drive that continued into a night drive. Overnight Pousada Alegro-- small, extremely basic, rooms had previously been used for ranch hands, comfortable, good bathroom, A/C. Beautiful outdoor surroundings, an operating ranch. Pousada Alegro is approx. 35 km south of Pocone.

Note: The original itinerary did not have the Mato Grosso Hotel or Pousda Alegro. Instead the last 2 nights on the land portion of the Pantanal were at Fazenda Curicaca, a Bare-faced Curassow Reserve. The accommodation was described as an Africa style lodge and was just a couple miles north of Pousada Alegro. Because Fazenda Curicaca was being renovated, the change in accommodations was made. As I consider a possible return trip, I cannot imagine eliminating Pousada Alegro because of good animal viewing and the working ranch atmosphere. The fig tree in front of the Mato Grosso had outstanding birding, plus offered a chance to see a different part of the Pixiam River than the boat ride from the Pousada Rio Clara. I’d want to include those two accommodations along WITH Fazenda Curicaca if I went back.

Day 14 Aug 16

Morning walk starting 6:30 am, then breakfast, then another walk until about 9:30. Game drive in safari vehicle of about 2 hours out of Pantanal to Pocone. Air conditioned van to Carceres, about 2 ½ hours. Immediately board boat for 2 hour ride on the Paraguay River to Baiazinha Hotel (fishing lodge)—billed as the nicest hotel in the Pantanal and deserving of title. Medium sized, simple and nicely finished rooms with TV, good bathroom, A/Cs. Excellent facilities, right on the river.

Day 15 Aug 17

Morning walk at 7:00 am, then breakfast, then boat outing to a ranch with Hyacinth Macaws. Lunch, rest, afternoon boat ride.

Day 16 Aug 18

5:45 am departure for Taima Ecological Station which encompasses 35,000 acres. Day is spent in search of jaguars, returning before night (6 pm)

Day 17 Aug 19 Repeat of Day 16

Day 18 Aug 20

The itinerary I received stated we would go further south beyond Taima in search of jaguars. Since we had had such great jaguar success already, we gambled on seeing a mother and cub in an area closer to home. Despite great effort on the part of the guide and captain, even pulling our boat over sandbars in piranha infested waters, we were not successful. We also spent more time just looking at the caiman, capybaras, birds, etc.

Day 19 Aug 21

Morning walk starting at 6:30 am, then breakfast and boat transfer, about 2 hours back down the Paraguay River. Board an air conditioned van in Carceres and proceed to Cuiaba and on to Chapada dos Guimaraes. Late afternoon views of the sun on the red cliffs and mountains. Visit to the geocenter of South America. Overnight at Solar dos Inglos—charming and exquisite inn with beautifully decorated rooms, and of course a good bathroom, don’t remember if there was A/C. Very attractive garden and outdoor sitting, dining areas. The British owner is a former jaguar and all-around big game hunter who told Focus Tours about the Paraguay River. He is most interested in the sightings on the Paraguay River.

Day 20 Aug 22

Morning birding along a dirt road for unique species. Visit to cliffs where red and green macaws nest. Visit to the national park for views of a waterfall, valley, cliffs and to hike on trails. Lunch and hour and a half drive to airport for flight back to Sao Paulo. Overnight Melia Comfort.

Day 21 Aug 23

Day at hotel waiting for evening flight that departed Guarulhos Airport in Sao Paulo

Note: I used the day to catch up on work emails. I also went in the pool (too shallow for swimming), which was nice and warm. The flights did not work for an evening departure one day earlier, but this last day was not the best use of time.

Day 22 Aug 23

Arrive early in O’Hare

I set this tour up as a group trip about a year and a half in advance so that the participation of others would defray my costs. The end result was I was alone for Caraca, Caratinga, and Chapada dos Guimaraes. Donna and Kimberly were with me for the land portion of the Pantanal. Donna continued on to the River portion of the Pantanal and Kimberly left but Rikki joined. Focus Tours arranges private trips or a modular plan like I did, where others can join. If I were to do it again, I would limit the group to four participants. We were never more than three and I was fortunate to have such an enjoyable group of travel companions.

No jaguars, but an ocelot photo and lots of anteaters in South Pantanal at Caiman and Refugio da Ilha

http://safaritalk.ne...rumped-monjita/

Edited by Atravelynn

You're most welcome Danny. Please let us know as your South America plans develop, most likely after Feb Tanz trip. Along with Yellowstone (and were you in Bandhavgarh? I'm thinking I met you on another forum maybe?) those are some top notch destinations!

I first went to Peru ... and Bolivia and Brazil... as a teenager. The trip was a mix of cultural and wildlife, with some short segments along the Amazon and in a lodge where we saw toucans and various local animals. It wasn't a wildlife focused trip so not a key part of it. It was a great trip though.

A couple of years back Pete and I returned. We went primarily to the Galapagos but there was an extension to Peru offered, Pete had never been, so we went. That was cultural only, no wildlife, but very enjoyable.

Reading (and seeing) your trip report really makes me want to do more wildlife travelling in South America. My parents have been back a few times, particularly to Chile. It's on my list (not just Chile, the whole contintent).

Edited by Tdgraves
p

Lynn, your report brought back memories of our Peru trip -2008- The Amazon, Cusco, Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. However, after reading your report, I feel like a total slug. But I'd go back tomorrow as it was so beautiful - and the people and culture amazing. So glad I read what we MISSED!

Love South America; esp Argentina and flyfishing the lakes surrounded by the Andes mountains. I could live there.

• 2 months later...
shouldbewriting

Love the pictures! Very excited to go...

Oh my goodness, what an honor to have your #1 post on my report, Shouldbewriting! There is a safaritalk introduction thread that I encourage you to post on, even if very brief. I'm sure many will recognize that memorable name from over yonder.

When and where do you go?